United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
When did we specifically get into this absolute nonsense......?

Even with better ball players it's disgusting...

Almost gave away a goal (should have) when Maguire £#%&!ed it, puts so Much pressure on young lads like Williams etc and does nothing much than pit pressure on the midfield to drop deep.

I'm sure it's come from the new rule of the goal keeper being allowed to take and pass short, or were trying to emulate other teams that can do it... we're even doing it from short keeper throws..

There was a moment late on when DDG took a "normal" goal kick, he hoofed it up and we won the first header and were on the attack...

It's a shocking decision by the team to continue to play this way...

Bring back big goal kicks.
Punt it long to who?

So Martial can stand there and nonchalantly watch it sail over his head?

Unread 30-01-2020, 12:24 PM
armchair

in prep for bruno picking the ball up deep

Unread 30-01-2020, 12:31 PM
Seamus

I thought he plays behind the CF?

Unread 30-01-2020, 12:33 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I thought he plays behind the CF?
Supposedly he’s a bit of an all rounder and I’ve read he’s best played as a box to box midfield?

Unread 30-01-2020, 06:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Actually, £#%&!ing ref I saw the first yellow and it was barely even a £#%&!ing foul. That @#%&! Rodri maliciously pulled Lingard back to prevent a 3 on 2 and got the same punishment :£#%&!er: £#%&!ing shit rules that benefit cheating.
Yes, the red was ridiculously harsh - didn't really appreciate how much so at the time.

Unread 30-01-2020, 07:04 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Odd game to go all in on it but experimentation is what we expect from the super progressive, visionary coach that is OLE.
zonal passing is the future, apparently.

Unread 01-03-2020, 05:02 PM
Bunker Buster

Worse £#%&!ing thing in football, no point.

Unread 01-03-2020, 05:05 PM
believe

Quote:
Worse £#%&!ing thing in football, no point.
We hardly did it today

Unread 01-03-2020, 05:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
We hardly did it today
Apart from conceding the goal yeah ?

Unread 01-03-2020, 05:11 PM
dunk

Quote:
Apart from conceding the goal yeah ?
Everton also conceded as a result of it...

Unread 01-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Everton also conceded as a result of it...
See !!!!

I'm only level 1 coaching badge, but seems im destined for greatness

Unread 02-03-2020, 02:54 AM
shenwen

The problem is we're so slow at it. Every player taking two touches before coming under pressure and then passing to another player by now also under pressure. I take it there is a method to the madness but £#%&!ed if I know what it is (and it plainly isn't working).

Plus, if you're playing this way, you need a keeper who is very comfortable with the ball and we don't have one.

Unread 02-03-2020, 05:05 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
The problem is we're so slow at it. Every player taking two touches before coming under pressure and then passing to another player by now also under pressure. I take it there is a method to the madness but £#%&!ed if I know what it is (and it plainly isn't working).

Plus, if you're playing this way, you need a keeper who is very comfortable with the ball and we don't have one.
Stretch the field to make it easier to play through the lines. Works in theory, but in practice if your players need too much time on the ball or the opponents are pressing really well then the reward shrinks and the risk inflates to the point where no sane manager does it.

The funny thing about teams who come unstuck from it is that in almost every case I’ve ever seen there were great big £#%&!-off danger signs ahead of time, and yet they carried on anyway. At that point it’s not smart at all, just arrogant.

Unread 02-03-2020, 06:13 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Stretch the field to make it easier to play through the lines. Works in theory, but in practice if your players need too much time on the ball or the opponents are pressing really well then the reward shrinks and the risk inflates to the point where no sane manager does it.

The funny thing about teams who come unstuck from it is that in almost every case I’ve ever seen there were great big £#%&!-off danger signs ahead of time, and yet they carried on anyway. At that point it’s not smart at all, just arrogant.
Reminds me of Arsenal when Emre first got there. Doing this with Cech, who just wasn’t that kind of keeper. Emre being Emre he stuck with it regardless. Only slightly improved when he brought in another keeper. Then he got fired.

Feels like a very easy tactic for the opposition to counter, especially when you have defenders nervous on the ball.

Unread 02-03-2020, 06:19 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

.......or highlighting the lack of options at keeping the ball if it's played long

Don't know what the Nigerian has in his toolbox yet and that remains to be seen but Martial is not the answer ( Greenwood still a boy and yet to attain beast power ) if you need to mix it up a bit . The solution would've been if they'd bought a player that could win , control and bring others into play and TBH I kind of half wished they'd brought a stopgap like Deaney or Giroud to lead the line and offer a more realistic plan B

I have no faith that Martial has the mental fortitude ,physicality . intelligence or desire to be able to perform this role and doubt that Ole does either hence this playing everything from the back business
Closed Thread