United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Again, you seem to be edging the conversation towards this notion that gut feelings or personal intuition is enough in an instance where absolute proof is impossible. It’s not mate; categorically. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want to be hung, drawn and quartered on the basis of someone else’s best guess, would you?

How many new George Best’s have there been to date?
Where did I say I was referring specifically to him? .... in the post you've directly quoted.

And then Irk calls me a £#%&!ing idiot for something I never said.

Nice to see we have a fair and civil conversation going on.

Think that's a good point to head off to bed.

Enjoy, fellas.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
There's no consensus on Pogba. Plenty of people appreciate him, especially amongst those under 30 years old.

But again, he hasn't suffered anything like the targeting that Sterling has. I dunno why you're more interesting in dismissing the idea of racism than at least thinking it's good that these @#%&!s who have spent years vilifying him are finally going to back off.

Sterling and Cole have had it worse than anyone. It's hard to argue their offence sheet is as bad as anyone. Maybe just a coincidence.
And I dont know why you’re so desperate to ascribe his far from unusual treatment at the hands of the press to racism.

Ps. I dont like the ageist tone of your post.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:20 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
And I dont know why you’re so desperate to ascribe his far from unusual treatment at the hands of the press to racism.

Quote:
Is it? I’d suggets the danger is that people worry about perfectly normal behaviour being deemed racist on zero evidence and having to temper their behaviour and biews so as not to incurr the wrath of ideological idiots. Dont forget I’ve been called a ‘racist @#%&!’ on her numerous times for espousing run of the mill opinions on the merkts of an effective immigration policy.

Unless you believe thought crimes should be punished there is no harm done until someone is on the end of something tangibly racist. There is no difference between someone not doing a racist act because theyre not racist and a racist not doing a racist act but harbouring racist thoughts. The act is the problem.

Let's have a discussion about 'normal behaviour' being misinterpreted in another thread, not this one...

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:21 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Where did I say I was referring specifically to him? .... in the post you've directly quoted.

And then Irk calls me a £#%&!ing idiot for something I never said.

Nice to see we have a fair and civil conversation going on.

Think that's a good point to head off to bed.

Enjoy, fellas.
Ahh, the flounce

Are you a woman? careful now, sexist

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:23 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Ps. I dont like the ageist tone of your post.
It's the reality. I find Pogba pretty irritating, albeit far more so because he's a disappointment on the pitch. The kids love him though.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:23 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:

Let's have a discussion about 'normal behaviour' being misinterpreted in another thread, not this one...
Are you deliberately misisng the point? You think that the media running sensationalist stories isn’t normal behaviour for the press?

You need to learn to argue in good faith.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:24 AM
Cream

Quote:

£#%&!ing idiots
Billy still asserting the article is racist.

But as he's now focussing on the Folden half of the equation, let's investigate the journo who penned it:

Pre Sterling but recent:

Yes that's right, he goes out of his way to disseminate a story concerning racism in football.

Here's one from the Oct.

Also from October:

This guy has form!

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:25 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Are you deliberately misisng the point? You think that the media running sensationalist stories isn’t normal behaviour for the press?

You need to learn to argue in good faith.
I can't recall a player being targeted in this way and with such aggression. People who don't read those papers had noticed an obsession with Sterling a long time ago, well before he brought it up.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:28 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Ahh, the flounce

Are you a woman? careful now, sexist
Not flouncing mate.

It's 11.30pm and we're strangers having a conversation about racism that has descended into name-calling when all before it was reasonable .

Forgive me if I think that's a natural stopping point.

Happy to pick it up tomorrow, provided it remains civil, otherwise I'd rather just leave it tbh

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:29 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Bully still asserting the article is racist.

Oh and here's a recent, but pre Sterling debate, tweet by the other half of the equation:

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/1068108426230841345

Yes that's right, he goes out of his way to disseminate a story concerning racism in football.

Here's one from the Oct.

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/1052822467813752832

Also from October:

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/1047025679097835522

This guy has form!
Absolutely disgusting undercurrent in those articles. Dogwhistle stuff. The tone is appallimg.

Now I know they are specifically addressing black issues but he’s thinking racist thoughts while he writes them. it’s just a cover to disguise the very real venom of his other articles. Cant prove it can I. Theres no actual evidence. How could there be? You’ll just have to take my word for it. This is how subtle he is. He’s not going to wear a KKK outfit is he?

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:29 AM
utd99

Quote:
I can't recall a player being targeted in this way and with such aggression. People who don't read those papers had noticed an obsession with Sterling a long time ago, well before he brought it up.
I don’t think that continuing to highlight their obsession with Sterling is doing much for your institutional racism angle tbh. If I was Rashford I’d be a bit pissed off they mistook me for a white bloke.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Billy still asserting the article is racist.

But as he's now focussing on the Folden half of the equation, let's investigate the journo who penned it:

Pre Sterling but recent:

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/1068108426230841345

Here's one from the Oct.

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/1052822467813752832

Also from October:

https://twitter.com/ianherbs/status/1047025679097835522

This guy has form!
I haven't said it's racist. You've misrepresented or misquoted more or less everything I've said

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:31 AM
utd99

Quote:
I haven't said it's racist. You've misrepresented or misquoted more or less everything I've said
Go hug a tree Hanoi Jane.

Now where’s that toast thread?

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:32 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Not flouncing mate.

It's 11.30pm and we're strangers having a conversation about racism that has descended into name-calling when all before it was reasonable .

Forgive me if I think that's a natural stopping point.

Happy to pick it up tomorrow, provided it remains civil, otherwise I'd rather just leave it tbh
Ahh, the tone policing and calls for civility borne of the shame of being outed arguing that the author of an article is an institutionally racist member of the white supremecist media only to discover that he’s a person of colour qualifies as idiotic, pal.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:38 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Ahh, the tone policing and calls for civility borne of the shame of being outed arguing that the author of an article is an institutionally racist member of the white supremecist media only to discover that he’s a person of colour qualifies as idiotic, pal.
I didn't say he was. I suggested the article could be racist. Or perceived as racist. Not that it was

Another misrepresention and I'm sure you know that.

What started as interesting has descended into misquoting, flounces, go hug a tree etc.

Not really my bag and it's late.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:42 AM
Buck

Quote:
I don’t think that continuing to highlight their obsession with Sterling is doing much for your institutional racism angle tbh. If I was Rashford I’d be a bit pissed off they mistook me for a white bloke.
What about the other players who are supporting Sterling's claim?

Like Neville, Rio knows Sterling, Rooney and Beckham. Maybe we should listen to what they have to say rather than write them off, and therefore deny there is anything in it to warrant a conversation to be had. Sterling DID NOT say the papers are racist towards him. He said their coverage "fuels racism" - interpret that as you will but it's clear in his mind, and many other minds what he means. A lot of what has been said about him by the Sun and the Daily Mail is deranged at the very least. It's one thing if he's courting the media attention but he clearly isn't.

This is a decent read

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:42 AM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
I didn't say he was. I suggested the article could be racist. Or perceived as racist. Not that it was

What started as interesting has descended into misquoting, flounces, go hug a tree etc.

So, we’ve arrived at “Could be” and “might be perceived” as racist but not necessarily racist.

We’re getting there by baby steps I suppose.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:43 AM
utd99

Quote:

It was a joke mate. Sheesh.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:44 AM
Cream

Quote:
Good. Now imagine how those two thoroughly decent journalists must feel.

These are some serious accusations floating around.

Unread 12-12-2018, 12:44 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
So, we’ve arrived at “Could be” and “might be perceived” as racist but not necessarily racist.

We’re getting there by baby steps I suppose.
No, that's what I've said all along

Wish I'd made that clearer at 9pm tbh

Right, definitely going now.

It's been real.

Quote:
It was a joke mate. Sheesh.
Closed Thread