United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Other Sports & Fitness

Unread 19-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Bishovetz

Default I

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
We were both up there in the same place at the same time then Bren unless I've got my dates wrong. Grisedale is a great walk but dead easy to go wrong.

Also, 50 wainers is hugely impressive given when you started. Well in that lad.

I'm only on 107 (exactly half) albeit I was walking for about 3 years without taking any note of which mountains I'd done so only officially started doing them about 5 years ago.
bet you take your matchball trekking too, Keith!

Unread 19-07-2013, 11:51 PM
wiganste

did around 15 miles in the Lakes on Monday. Outstanding walk, hard work in the heat but totally worth it. Got some cracking pictures and almost shit my pants when a fighter jet flew right over us.

Unread 20-07-2013, 06:58 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
did around 15 miles in the Lakes on Monday. Outstanding walk, hard work in the heat but totally worth it. Got some cracking pictures and almost shit my pants when a fighter jet flew right over us.

is that tarn how ste ?

Unread 20-07-2013, 07:18 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
is that tarn how ste ?
Rydal in Ambleside

Unread 20-07-2013, 08:56 AM
My Name is Keith

Nice one bish. Nice to see you around again.

It's a good un that Ste. Were you doing loughrigg fell and if so, did you see rydal caves? Huge things overlooking rydal water.

Helm crag (the Lion and the lamb) is on the right of this photo and seat sandal on the far right.

Unread 20-07-2013, 10:15 AM
wiganste

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
Nice one bish. Nice to see you around again.

It's a good un that Ste. Were you doing loughrigg fell and if so, did you see rydal caves? Huge things overlooking rydal water.

Helm crag (the Lion and the lamb) is on the right of this photo and seat sandal on the far right.
No. We just ran out of time. Needed to get back to check into our room.

We'll go back later this year and I'll look out for that

Unread 20-07-2013, 07:58 PM
TravellingRed

Not so much a walk but in the spirit of things I think; went for a ride out on the bike today being that it was a nice day, took the coast road and stopped at a few beaches, quite a bit of Rommel's defences from WWII still here so took a few pics, thought some fredsters might like it, there is still a beach with dragon's teeth somewhere but I'm yet to find it. Anyhoo:

pillbox with a gun emplacement in the foreground

Same again but there is a connecting trench you can see on the right

Entrance to a bunker between the two, I went in but couldn't get a photo as I only had my phone

Gunport from the pillbox

Unread 21-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Jack Duckworth

Thumbs up

brilliant pics, travellers

Unread 21-07-2013, 12:36 AM
stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed View Post
Not so much a walk but in the spirit of things I think; went for a ride out on the bike today being that it was a nice day, took the coast road and stopped at a few beaches, quite a bit of Rommel's defences from WWII still here so took a few pics, thought some fredsters might like it, there is still a beach with dragon's teeth somewhere but I'm yet to find it. Anyhoo:

pillbox with a gun emplacement in the foreground

Same again but there is a connecting trench you can see on the right

Entrance to a bunker between the two, I went in but couldn't get a photo as I only had my phone

Gunport from the pillbox
Good stuff TR

Unread 21-07-2013, 12:52 AM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth View Post
brilliant pics, travellers
Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
Good stuff TR
Apparently there are some cliffs not far away with tunnels going into them to some gun batteries and there are still a couple of WWII era German artillery pieces in them pointing out to sea, but the only 2 folk I know who have been can't remember exactly where it is as they went with school years ago I need to do some research and find them, would be a good day out I reckon

Went to Osscarberg fortress a few years ago but didn't have my camera, held off the German invasion long enough for the Government and Royal Family to get away and eventually escape to the UK. Interesting story, it was a suprise attack and it was an 65 year old general and sea cadets who sank the Nazi cruiser and held up the entire job. I believe at the time as everyone was on edge and the Norwegians were neutral and the standing orders were to fire warning shots, the generals words were "either I'll be decorated or I will be court martialled, fire!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscarsborg_Fortress