United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Unread 07-06-2010, 12:30 AM
tatty

Default Anyone done the '3 Peaks'?

I've joined a group of workmates doing BN, SP and then Snowdon but over 3 days rather than 24 hours.

We're doing it next week and since i only agreed to go last week i haven't done any preparation (not that i would have done anyway). How tough is the walking and will playing golf 3 times a week have me in the right sort of shape? (The 16th is quite steep).

What do i need to take - apart from my iphone to keep fred updated with my progress.

Unread 07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Harri Jaffa

Default Re: Anyone done the '3 Peaks'?

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I've joined a group of workmates doing BN, SP and then Snowdon but over 3 days rather than 24 hours.

We're doing it next week and since i only agreed to go last week i haven't done any preparation (not that i would have done anyway). How tough is the walking and will playing golf 3 times a week have me in the right sort of shape? (The 16th is quite steep).

What do i need to take - apart from my iphone to keep fred updated with my progress.
plenty of jelly babies. i did it in 24 hrs and the amount of energy needed is unbelievable. f*** kendal mint cake off, it's horrid.

take plenty of spare pairs of socks, and make them decent walking ones as well. for once it's not marketing, they're thicker on the heel and toes to stop rubbing.

it's harder than most people think, but over 3 days should be ok

good luck mate, if you do it right you'll love it

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM
forzagarza

I found the uphill parts are harder than the downhill parts

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
I found the uphill parts are harder than the downhill parts
Actually - downhill is actually harder. So there.

Scafell is the bastard of the three - it involves "scrambling" and the like.

As for golf getting you into shape

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:40 AM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Actually - downhill is actually harder. So there.

Scafell is the bastard of the three - it involves "scrambling" and the like.
I don't like walking uphill ergo it's harder. Downhill is more enjoyable imo as it's more dangerous.

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Dueling Banjos

Heard about this for the first time a few days ago. Something a little different.

http://iomevents.com/isle_of_man_eve...e_the_sun.html

Quote:
The task is simple: starting at sun rise, your team must complete a lap of the dramatic 100 mile Island coastal footpath before the sun sets.
Split into 10 demanding sections, the course follows the Raad ny Foillan, a stunning coastal footpath with significant height gain. You will journey along impressive sandy beaches; picturesque glens; estuaries and exposed cliff tops. Requiring strength, stamina and agility, itís definitely not for the faint-hearted. Teams can be made up of a maximum of 10 competitors.

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
My Name is Keith

Not done the 3 peaks but have done many testing walks including the Yorkshire 3 peaks. Not saying the big 3 peaks isn't tough but I know a lot of people who have done it who I wouldn't describe as being particularly fit.

I'd take some vaseline for the rubs you'll get and make sure your footwear doesn't rub/isn't too small. Like Charlie says, downhill is the worst for feet and knees and overlong toe nails/undersized boots can cause havoc.

Plenty of liquid and mars bars/bananas etc.

Unread 07-06-2010, 09:11 AM
SilverSurfer

Not done BN but Scafell Pike (from Borrowdale) is only really demanding at the end as the top is a boulder field.

Snowdon can depend on the route up but it's a bit unforgiving in that the gradient didn't seem to change much, from what I remember, so take your time. Also, there's a high chance of scouse scallies climbing up in trainers, jeans and shell suit tops "as it seemed like a good idea, la" which is amusing when they're pissed wet through.

Dried tropical fruit - often better from an Indian mini mart shop - is great fuel too and I prefer it to the instant hit, then downer of a Mars Bar.

Unread 07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
moransbleedinghead

good luck with it mate, hope the weather is dry but cool for you.

I did 6 munros in 2 days, this weekend, it was quite tough, could have done with it being a few degrees cooler on the Saturday.
Closed Thread