United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: would you like to see rangers and celtic join the english leagues?
yeah, let them in, will improve the league 7 8.54%
nah, tell em to £#%&! off 72 87.80%
stop bothering me with difficult questions 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
borsuk

Default would you like to see rangers and celtic join the english league?

rangers chief exec was even talking the other day about joining league 2 and working their way up. interesting idea, would probably be popular with the league 2 clubs (nice big revenue boost) if the promotion and relegation issues could be worked out.

so, would you be happy to see them join the english leagues?

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Rangers chief predicts SPL exit

Bain believes Rangers are an attractive proposition for broadcasters

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain believes the Ibrox club will have left the Scottish Premier League behind in the next 10 years.

And Bain suggested that a new European set-up might be the likely escape route for Rangers and Glasgow rivals Celtic.

When asked by BBC Sport if he thought Rangers would be playing elsewhere within a decade, Bain replied: "I do.

"There are a number of like-minded clubs who are currently hamstrung by the environment they are in."

An Atlantic League involving clubs from outside the five major European leagues; England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France, has been discussed at length before.

And Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell, speaking to the BBC on Wednesday, was cool on the idea being investigated again, preferring to court a move to England.

However, Bain is determined to explore every possibility when it comes to increasing Rangers' stature and spending power.

"There are a number of big clubs playing in smaller leagues," he added. "And I think there will be a wind of change.

"I understand all the cross-border aspects but there are a number of like-minded clubs, who are currently hamstrung by the environment they are in.

"As that groundswell grows, I think Uefa will take note and maybe that will lead to other things.

"We have to be invited to a party. So we need to maintain our club and its infrastructure in order that at the time to be invited, we are there or thereabouts, then that's an objective."

Bain spoke of his frustration at seeing the lowest placed club in the English top flight earning almost 15 times what the top club in Scotland can garner through sponsorship and media rights.

And he believes the Old Firm are an attractive proposition for broadcasters.

"What the media companies want is the live spectacle and full houses," he added. "Celtic and Rangers have got that in abundance with our fan bases.
"We are a huge club commercially. Our fans are the lifeblood.

"If you couple that with the additional media revenue that might come with a new opportunity, we certainly would be a club to be reckoned with in any league in the world."

With Lawwell saying Celtic would consider any route that could lead to the English Premier League, manager Tony Mowbray said the issue was being spoken about within football circles.

"It's something our club would be interested in listening to of course," he told BBC Sport. "Where do I think we are in a football context having had experience of the English Premier League?

"Glasgow Celtic, and indeed our city rivals would fit into the Premier League pretty well."

Unread 10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Sloane

Default Re: would you like to see rangers and celtic join the english league?

no they can £#%&! off

Unread 10-10-2009, 12:54 PM
believe

no they can £#%&! off.

Unread 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM
n48

They can damn well £#%&! right off.

What will they bring to the league? How does it benefit the other 20 or so teams and moreso how will it benefit those 2 who have to drop down a level?
The swines should be made to start conference if they're so flippin keen.

Where does it stop? When the prem league isnt doing so well do united run off to la liga and ask to play in their league?

Yeah but our fans are so passionate.

Unread 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
no they can £#%&! off
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
no they can £#%&! off.
what they said

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:01 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up Re: would you like to see rangers and celtic join the english league?

good on you fred

i'm expecting the third option to beat the first tbh

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Spiffy

At next years World Cup they will be supporting Germany or Argentina. Let them play their football there.

They're hypocritical bastards, all we ever hear is independence yet as soon as we have a football league worth a lot of money they want in on it. £#%&! them. I'd rather see Oldham isn the Premier League. At least they're English. Why should the English subsidie the Scottish clubs?

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:02 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
At next years World Cup they will be supporting Germany or Argentina. Let them play their football there.
so will a fair few united fans tbh

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:05 PM
BarryX

only if they let in Cardiff, Belfast and Penzance.

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:08 PM
£#%&! KFC

they can both get to £#%&!

Rangers in manchester

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Spiffy

I'm against this idea as I've already said but without Newcastle in the league, we're without the best fans in the world ever. We all know Scottish fans are great and never cause trouble so maybe we should let them in and we can benefit from them bringing their fans to our fair cities. It's been ages since IRA songs have been sung in Manchester and we've not had a riot for over a year now.

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Sparky***

after what rangers did in manchester they can £#%&! right off.

wee man

I'd like to see them in tbh. Rather come over to watch Utd v the old firm than some of the non-atmospheres there are these days. And don't really understand why the Welsh sides play whilst the old "stay in their own country" is thrown at the old firm.

Just mho view of course.

Billy Baroo

imagine them £#%&!ing @#%&!s swarming all over the city twice a year

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:12 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
I'd like to see them in tbh. Rather come over to watch Utd v the old firm than some of the non-atmospheres there are these days. And don't really understand why the Welsh sides play whilst the old "stay in their own country" is thrown at the old firm.

Just mho view of course.
well you neeed to get yourr money's worth woth that half and half scarf

catch yourself on btw

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:13 PM
borsuk

japan 2-0 scotland btw

two goals in the last 8 minutes

no zone of terror for the scotch, though

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:13 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down Re: would you like to see rangers and celtic join the english league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
imagine them £#%&!ing @#%&!s swarming all over the city twice a year

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:17 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
well you neeed to get yourr money's worth woth that half and half scarf

catch yourself on btw

Will eventually happen i think. That or this C(K)eltic League they keep going on about - but how that would fit in with Champions Leage/UEFA I don't know.

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:19 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man

Will eventually happen i think. That or this C(K)eltic League they keep going on about - but how that would fit in with Champions Leage/UEFA I don't know.
the Northern Ireland league is better standard than the SPL tbh

Unread 10-10-2009, 01:26 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
the Northern Ireland league is better standard than the SPL tbh
ahem - I mean - ahem. I would expect the old firm to be relegation candidates initially - be very interesting to see how their supporters would react to that given the guaranteed success they enjoy currently. But eventually with the extra money that they would get they would compete.

Best thing could happen the SPL as well - in a competitive manner anyway. At the moment it's like Utd and Liverpool playing in Division 2. But the SPL would probably lose the Sky money as don't think they would be interested without the Old Firm.
Closed Thread