Pure, what date is the scarfs hot?

I never truly believe a signing is happening until you confirm

Unread 10-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Deadline day

Few weeks left in this one
Watch us leave discussions with the usual excuses. The club are a joke.

Unread 10-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Patty_b

Will be signed in January for the asking price when we're 20 points behind the League leaders

Unread 10-08-2020, 10:33 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
City have signed 3 players...minimum of fuss

Whilst I know there’s probably dodgy under the table stuff gone on, they’ve got their targets sorted before a ball is kicked next season

We will probably end up with jack grealish and his daft haircut on deadline day

Unread 10-08-2020, 10:34 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Nah, not on this one. Absolutely right to question the deal and try bring the price down. Any other club would be applauded for doing so.

Unread 10-08-2020, 10:35 AM
flixton

Quote:
We would be mad to cave in. We need to walk away otherwise every other transfer will be for stupid money.

Unread 10-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
We would be mad to cave in. We need to walk away otherwise every other transfer will be for stupid money.
Problem is, there's a fairly valid argument that clubs do this to us because of Woodward and his past conduct. We're basically an easy target.

Unread 10-08-2020, 10:57 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
We're the most valuable club, with the highest revenue, in the richest league in the world. If I was selling something to Man Utd, I'd insist on top dollar (apart from the time I was corporate manager at Habitat in Deansgate and gave all staff members at Utd a 15% discount ).

Unread 10-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Patty_b

If we walk away because they're trying to make as much off us as possible, we might as well not try and sign any top player ever again and just stick to signing young lads from the Championship.

I'm sure that'd go down well.

Unread 10-08-2020, 11:10 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Problem is, there's a fairly valid argument that clubs do this to us because of Woodward and his past conduct. We're basically an easy target.
They’re just doing their job mate; as is Woodward. It makes virtually no difference to any of these parties whether this deal gets done in the next month or not, so everyone’s still trying to get the best deal for their employers; it would be negligent not to.

I’m all for criticising our ownership and management when they deserve it, but we have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes and nor do the papers or jokers like Fjortoft. They’re in the business of selling copies and getting clicks, and nothing sells quite like United plus (invented) drama. We have to pick our poison - you can’t criticise the club for overpaying for Sanchez, Di Maria, Lukaku etc AND criticise us for trying to get proper value by not being pushovers.

Whatever way this plays out there’s little doubt it’ll be a gigantic investment between fee and wages of something like 150m+ over four years, probably with an option for a fifth for one player. In contrast Newcastle are currently being touted for 300m for the whole club, lock, stock and barrel. It’s proper that we should be negotiating.

Unread 10-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
They’re just doing their job mate; as is Woodward. It makes virtually no difference to any of these parties whether this deal gets done in the next month or not, so everyone’s still trying to get the best deal for their employers; it would be negligent not to.

I’m all for criticising our ownership and management when they deserve it, but we have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes and nor do the papers or jokers like Fjortoft. They’re in the business of selling copies and getting clicks, and nothing sells quite like United plus (invented) drama. We have to pick our poison - you can’t criticise the club for overpaying for Sanchez, Di Maria, Lukaku etc AND criticise us for trying to get proper value by not being pushovers.

Whatever way this plays out there’s little doubt it’ll be a gigantic investment between fee and wages of something like 150m+ over four years, probably with an option for a fifth for one player. In contrast Newcastle are currently being touted for 300m for the whole club, lock, stock and barrel. It’s proper that we should be negotiating.
Exactly.

It's looking like a British transfer record and we're basically complaining that this isn't easy to do.

Unread 10-08-2020, 11:12 AM
guerreiro

They’ll see us in the same light as Barcelona who stupidly spent 140m on Dembele.

Not even that arsed if we don’t get him, rather a midfielder.

Unread 10-08-2020, 11:19 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
If we walk away because they're trying to make as much off us as possible, we might as well not try and sign any top player ever again and just stick to signing young lads from the Championship.

I'm sure that'd go down well.
It’s just not true, is it? We got Maguire; we got AWB; we got Fernandes, and we didn’t pay tuppence. Why are you presenting it as either world class or 2nd division players just because it’s not done yet and we’re fed up reading about it. We spend big - not always well, but it’s getting a bit old seeing us presented as a team that’s scared to fork out.

The same people who lament at the sheer amount of money wasted by van Gaal and Mourinho also tell us the club don’t spend because the Glazers want to trouser every last penny. So which is it?

Unread 10-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
It’s just not true, is it? We got Maguire; we got AWB; we got Fernandes, and we didn’t pay tuppence. Why are you presenting it as either world class or 2nd division players just because it’s not done yet and we’re fed up reading about it. We spend big - not always well, but it’s getting a bit old seeing us presented as a team that’s scared to fork out.

The same people who lament at the sheer amount of money wasted by van Gaal and Mourinho also tell us the club don’t spend because the Glazers want to trouser every last penny. So which is it?

We overpaid for those players (Maguire, AWB and Fernandes) because we're Man United, and that's my point.

I'm not saying it's either top players or Championship players.

I'm saying that if people don't like the idea of us overpaying for players, then we might as well just sign from the Championship, because we're always going to be overpaying for 'top' players.

Unread 10-08-2020, 11:52 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

We overpaid for those players (Maguire, AWB and Fernandes) because we're Man United, and that's my point.

I'm not saying it's either top players or Championship players.

I'm saying that if people don't like the idea of us overpaying for players, then we might as well just sign from the Championship, because we're always going to be overpaying for 'top' players.
You only really overpaid if you a) can’t afford it or b) they don’t perform well/ bring success. Would you say we overpaid for Fernandes based on what you’ve seen so far? I’d suggest it was a bargain, despite what crap the papers say about what Spurs were quoted by Lisbon.

I just don’t see how it’s in anyone’s interests not to do this deal for Sancho now, though obviously we don’t know all the ins and outs. We need the player, it appears the player wants to come, and Dortmund are not going to want a dissatisfied player in the changing room potentially affecting morale.

They appear to have embraced a business model of getting young prospects cheap, developing them, then selling on for a huge profit, and that’s exactly what this deal represents. That model will fall apart if the young prospects and their agents see them start to price them out of deals.

Unread 10-08-2020, 12:00 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Nah, not on this one. Absolutely right to question the deal and try bring the price down. Any other club would be applauded for doing so.
Agree

If we walk away so be it. Spend the money on two quality players and end up with a better team. I doubt Dortmund will get similar amounts from anybody else.

Sancho at that price is starting to look a very unimaginative deal.

Part of me hopes we walk away now.

Unread 10-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
You only really overpaid if you a) can’t afford it or b) they don’t perform well/ bring success. Would you say we overpaid for Fernandes based on what you’ve seen so far? I’d suggest it was a bargain, despite what crap the papers say about what Spurs were quoted by Lisbon.

I just don’t see how it’s in anyone’s interests not to do this deal for Sancho now, though obviously we don’t know all the ins and outs. We need the player, it appears the player wants to come, and Dortmund are not going to want a dissatisfied player in the changing room potentially affecting morale.

They appear to have embraced a business model of getting young prospects cheap, developing them, then selling on for a huge profit, and that’s exactly what this deal represents. That model will fall apart if the young prospects and their agents see them start to price them out of deals.
£#%&!ing hell.

Ok, we tend stump up more money upfront for players than other clubs tend to do when they sign players at what is perceived as a similar level at that point in time.

It was a simple point to be honest. And I have no problem with us having to pay more to bring in players.

Unread 10-08-2020, 12:29 PM
ZiggyStardust

As a talent and given his age he’s probably worth 108 million pound especially if we can structure it so we only have to pay 60 million of that this summer

Strange if the club draw a line with this transfer given he’s probably worth it when we clearly overpaid for Maguire and Wan-Bissaka last summer by about 20 or 30 million each

If Dortmund are adamant on 108 million pounds then I’m not sure what leverage we have to bring the price down given they don’t need to sell as they are in a healthy financial situation and would be happy to have Sancho for another season

Unread 10-08-2020, 12:36 PM
utd99

I think they do need to sell if the player wants out. If anyone should know the damaging effect that scenario can have on a changing room it’s us. If he has his heart set on a move they’ll have to take their profit - whatever that ends up being - and move on.

Unread 10-08-2020, 12:45 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
I think they do need to sell if the player wants out. If anyone should know the damaging effect that scenario can have on a changing room it’s us. If he has his heart set on a move they’ll have to take their profit - whatever that ends up being - and move on.
He’s clearly not going to be a problem

He’s already told them he’ll not force a move and will continue to be professional

Actually don’t mind that as you don’t want to sign a @#%&! like Dembele
Closed Thread