United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Default Players that have come good after 2 seasons of bad/average performances

Reading the Sancho thread and was thinking yeah give him this year - teams gonna evolve again, better players(hopefully ) to play with etc.

But has anyone ever ‘come good ‘ after paddling around for 2 seasons?

Cole obviously took a year to really settle in and fire but even his adaptation season he was better than Sancho has been (although playing in a much better side)

Evra/Vidic the same

Probably the majority need a season to fully settle into surroundings, team, United but two?

Struggling …

Unread 09-07-2023, 11:49 AM
NedKelly

Can’t think of many tbf. The only thing that sort of works in his favour (in the context of this discussion), is that his first season here was the worst season we as a club have had in decades. Ole going a few months in, Ralf “steadying the ship” by calling everyone shit, a terrible captain in Maguire and a lack of coherency across the squad as a whole.

I’ve lost the faith but I’d love him to come good. He was brilliant at Dortmund.

Unread 09-07-2023, 11:51 AM
BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Reading the Sancho thread and was thinking yeah give him this year - teams gonna evolve again, better players(hopefully ) to play with etc.

Cole obviously took a year to really settle in and fire but even his adaptation season he was better than Sancho has been (although playing in a much better side)

Evra/Vidic the same

Probably the majority need a season to fully settle into surroundings, team, United but two?

Struggling …
"Settling in" gets trotted out as an excuse too often imo. It's very hard to tell ahead of a transfer who's going to find the shirt too heavy, even if they have decent character.

Unread 09-07-2023, 11:51 AM
no fun

Pallister had a dodgy start but turned out to be a solid defender

Unread 09-07-2023, 11:53 AM
flixton

Giggs had a poor spell and came back.

ryanMUFC

Darren Fletcher

BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Pallister had a dodgy start but turned out to be a solid defender
Was only a few games though really, wasn't it? Similar to Evra and Vidic.

Unread 09-07-2023, 11:55 AM
armchair

Bruno Fernandes didn't have a great time in Italy.

Unread 09-07-2023, 11:57 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic

Evra/Vidic the same

Struggling …
Vidic was already looking good by the end of his first season, superb performance at home to Arsenal in the 2-0 (Rooney, Park)

Evra started 06-07 brilliantly and never looked back.

I’m racking my brain for players that came good after 2 poor seasons. Fletcher to a degree…(Edit - just seen him mentioned above)

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:01 PM
Dasilvatwins

Fletcher wasn’t one of the highest paid players. You can give room to players who you can leave on the bench for 5-7 games to take them out the firing line.

We can’t have a 300k a week back up player. Without making too many excuses for fletcher , he also was breaking into a much better team which probably emphasised the gulf in his quality and the rest.

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:03 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Darren Fletcher
I must have missed the bit where he came good.

Dr Stranger

Cole is probably the one. Really struggled from his arrival in Jan 1995 and that carried into the following season. He was dropped for Scholes by the end of 95/96.

Got the horrendous double leg break and missed most of 96/97. Only really got going once Eric left IMO.

A combination of settling in and injuries, not unlike Sancho and his time away last season.

Admittedly, there aren’t many examples and I think it’s fair to say most players won’t turn it around. It’s case-dependent though and I still hold out a little hope for Sancho. There were signs last season and we’re yet to have the best conditions for him: in terms of either us being a unified team or him having his head screwed on.

If he does stay, he has absolutely no more leeway and has to hit the ground running. He’s got a lot of competition in his favoured positions and the club has been very accommodating for him.

jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I’ve lost the faith but I’d love him to come good. He was brilliant at Dortmund.
would love us to play a bit more like dortmund.

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:07 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I must have missed the bit where he came good.
2009 we missed him in the CL final. The season after (when Ronaldo left) he was pretty important too.

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:13 PM
My Name is Heath

Carrick got better as he went along

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Carrick got better as he went along
Had a tough 09-10.

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Sparky***

Andy Cole joined in Jan 1995 and had an iffy start. 1995-96 season he struggled for goals and then in the 1996/7 season he had shin splints and then both his legs got broken in the reserves by neil ruddock.

Can't think of too many other players who's had a wobbly start but then caught fire and turned their career around.

Sancho's problem is his personality on the pitch. He's timid and tends to go missing at times. I don't think you can play your way out of that.

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:36 PM
jem

sancho isn't great at taking a man on when he gets the ball under pressure, but he likes to run into space and he's calm when he gets the ball in the middle. I don't know if we can afford to play to his strengths, but I wouldn't say the problem was character.

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:41 PM
Denis Irwell

Fletcher after about 4 seasons, in a world class team.

Still think Sancho/Antony will improve with a striker, finally, to play off in front instead of being expected to finish off their own approach work themselves, just as Bissaka has benefitted by having Antony in front after trying to be a fb, then a winger and then a fullback again all within less than one minute. Repeatedly. If Erik gets 3 or 4 of his recruits, we’ll be transformed.

Unread 09-07-2023, 12:47 PM
browser

De Gea
Closed Thread