United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-10-2022, 11:20 AM
Dr Stranger

He’s very clear too. Talks a lot about pressing, intensity on and off the ball and how it’s a process. It was clear from the start what he wants to do and you can see it all unfolding.

We’ve had years of wondering what the hell we do in training all week and not seeing any style. Not anymore.

Even at the weekend, it was frustrating, but we never strayed from what we were tying to do. We created the chances we wanted. We were proactive. That’s now translating to dominating games and the opposition.

Unread 20-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Seamus

Big fan. I described him as the next great manager of the premier league and I stand by that if he is given time and the resources.

He starts players on form/last performance rather than reputation which seems obvious but not with previous managers

Unread 20-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Zorg

Coming in and dropping the club captain and club legend, deservedly, show he has what it takes in terms of man management. Lots of managers would have shied away from that but he knew it was necessary.

There've still been some dodgy moments, like the weird selection at city, and I'm not sure about his shiny head, but he's very obviously on the right track.

Unread 20-10-2022, 11:26 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
Big fan. I described him as the next great manager of the premier league and I stand by that if he is given time and the resources.

He starts players on form/last performance rather than reputation which seems obvious but not with previous managers
He's got an eye for a player as well. I was sold when he banished Bissaka before he'd even got here.

Unread 20-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
He's got an eye for a player as well. I was sold when he banished Bissaka before he'd even got here.
And pogba and lingard. ( I know their contracts expired but I’m assuming he was offered the job before July and he told them to £#%&! off)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
He’s very clear too. Talks a lot about pressing, intensity on and off the ball and how it’s a process. It was clear from the start what he wants to do and you can see it all unfolding.

We’ve had years of wondering what the hell we do in training all week and not seeing any style. Not anymore.

Even at the weekend, it was frustrating, but we never strayed from what we were tying to do. We created the chances we wanted. We were proactive. That’s now translating to dominating games and the opposition.
Shearer was getting at it a few times saying on occasion they kept passing it side to side.

But that’s his style, create an overload on one side, leave the other side free with one player in space. Switch it quickly . They were doing it in early training sessions in preseason . I was happy they were sticking to it.

Off the ball movement has been the biggest improvement for me. A lot more players showing for the ball, even when they play out from the back. If you’re static , playing out from the back is so much harder. They always seem to have atleast 2 options free rather than the 1 which can be closed down and mark .

I think If we get a keeper who can play the ball a bit, he can start to play as a sweeper more. I feel like it will improve us so much more if de gea was a bit more comfortable coming of his line and playing with the ball.

Especially those where the ball comes back from the opposition final third and all the way back . If he was 5-10 yards further up the field the pressure Is sustained a bit better

Unread 20-10-2022, 11:59 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
And pogba and lingard. ( I know their contracts expired but I’m assuming he was offered the job before July and he told them to £#%&! off)

Shearer was getting at it a few times saying on occasion they kept passing it side to side.

But that’s his style, create an overload on one side, leave the other side free with one player in space. Switch it quickly . They were doing it in early training sessions in preseason . I was happy they were sticking to it.

Off the ball movement has been the biggest improvement for me. A lot more players showing for the ball, even when they play out from the back. If you’re static , playing out from the back is so much harder. They always seem to have atleast 2 options free rather than the 1 which can be closed down and mark .

I think If we get a keeper who can play the ball a bit, he can start to play as a sweeper more. I feel like it will improve us so much more if de gea was a bit more comfortable coming of his line and playing with the ball.

Especially those where the ball comes back from the opposition final third and all the way back . If he was 5-10 yards further up the field the pressure Is sustained a bit better
Agreed. They’re getting more comfortable in tight areas too. Bruno, Antony, Sancho, Dalot, shaw are all comfortable being pressed. Less so Rashford, but he has other qualities. Really do think Martial will thrive in games like last night if we can get the £#%&!er fit. Give him Rashford’s chances last night and he slots two comfortably in the corner.

Unread 20-10-2022, 12:31 PM
Baron

Pretty happy to be honest, we seem to be able to respond to adversity by playing a bit of football now which is nice. There's clear coaching improvements, we've slipped (£#%&!ed it badly) a few times but he was taking over a clown convention. Signing's have been excellent & exciting for the future, I'm happy with how he's handling Ronaldo (the big £#%&!ing mincer) and have high hopes that if we can get Martial fit for a few months on the spin he'll change the dynamic up front again... but we really need a top class no.9 we can rely on asap.

B+ from me also.

Unread 20-10-2022, 01:33 PM
moransbleedinghead

gotta admit that after 1 quarter of a season, I've got a bit of a man crush on Erik, if he keeps it going and the team keeps improving, then it could be full on bromance by the end of the year. If I was a scouse I'd probably be drafting up some poems by now.

Unread 20-10-2022, 07:18 PM
Pop

Deserves an extra point for his handling of the Ronaldo situation.

Shows he's got big Dutch balls as big as his big shiny head

Unread 20-10-2022, 09:49 PM
Finport Red

A brilliant first Quarter. Every single one of his signings so far have done well and improved us. Not too many managers manage to get that many right.

Has improved the attitude of those already at the club (with one notable exception), even persuading Luke Shaw to put down the game controller and lift a dumbbell.

On the downside, the setup against city seemed naive, and some of the European games have been meh, but not too fussed about them at this stage.

Last night and today? How good is it to have a manager again who’s prepared to stand up to the petulance of any player and let them know he’s the boss? Superb. And the lesson to the otters? If he can do it to Ronaldo, he can do it to any of us. Keeps them all on their toes nicely.

Have genuinely warmed to him more as each week goes by, really hope he brings success back to the club again, and not just because winning them is good, but because he’s

Unread 20-10-2022, 10:16 PM
dunk

The set up against City was sluggish and panicked. Not sure that was the plan.

Unread 21-10-2022, 12:29 AM
Selhurst Samurai

The big thing for me is just seeing that we seem to be a side which knows how it wants to go about its work.

We’ve had years of basically chucking our chips up in the air and hoping they land on the winning numbers. Whereas now you can see the definite patterns which are developing, full backs pushing inside to create space on the outside for the winger, organised pressing, midfielders dovetailing between attacking and holding. Even to an extent in the derby debacle, you
could see what was supposed to be happening even if the execution was lacking.

It’s very encouraging to be seeing this stuff so early on and it starting to pay off. The more they work at it the more it will become second nature, knowing where their team mates should be at any given time. That’s an exciting prospect.

Really very bloody pleased with our baldy bosch thusch far

Unread 21-10-2022, 01:35 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
A brilliant first Quarter. Every single one of his signings so far have done well and improved us. Not too many managers manage to get that many right.

Has improved the attitude of those already at the club (with one notable exception), even persuading Luke Shaw to put down the game controller and lift a dumbbell.

On the downside, the setup against city seemed naive, and some of the European games have been meh, but not too fussed about them at this stage.

Last night and today? How good is it to have a manager again who’s prepared to stand up to the petulance of any player and let them know he’s the boss? Superb. And the lesson to the otters? If he can do it to Ronaldo, he can do it to any of us. Keeps them all on their toes nicely.

Have genuinely warmed to him more as each week goes by, really hope he brings success back to the club again, and not just because winning them is good, but because he’s
Exactly. Arrogant £#%&!ers need a lesson. All that spinning the ball on their noses.

Unread 21-10-2022, 08:15 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Exactly. Arrogant £#%&!ers need a lesson. All that spinning the ball on their noses.
I should tarka better look at what I’ve written before posting.

Unread 21-10-2022, 08:16 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Excellent performance second Arf though.

Unread 21-10-2022, 08:41 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Been a good start. That is clear.

Unread 21-10-2022, 09:33 AM
shenwen

Been great. Signings spot on. Football getting better. Discipline much, much better.

City game the only blemish but he clearly put out the wrong midfield and then a lot of things went against us (Varane's injury mostly).

We've had a little luck of the draw having so far played our main rivals at home. Chelsea game will be very instructive to how far we've come.

But £#%&!, we're ten games in and already glass half full, so should only get better as Erik continues to impose his management.

Unread 21-10-2022, 09:33 AM
marlo

would like him to at last give the Argentinian and that Iqbal a smidgen of playing time but other than that he is has been brilliant.

a real manager not that smiling clown who picked the popular kids and was slightly zenophobic despite not even being British himself

not afraid to toss you out the team at half time if you are stinking up the place and then condemn too the bench going forward.

his handling of Ronaldo has been brilliant as well.

Unread 21-10-2022, 10:07 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
would like him to at last give the Argentinian and that Iqbal a smidgen of playing time but other than that he is has been brilliant.

a real manager not that smiling clown who picked the popular kids and was slightly zenophobic despite not even being British himself

not afraid to toss you out the team at half time if you are stinking up the place and then condemn too the bench going forward.

but he bought lisandro whos shit and we didnt need .. quote

Unread 21-10-2022, 10:22 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

Obsessed with… let’s just say “nationality”

Just follow the game, pal
Closed Thread