United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 12-12-2023, 02:00 PM
Sheik JaBooty

"Oh, you gone off management then?"

Unread 12-12-2023, 02:34 PM
Dr Stranger

Are these the journalistic and broadcasting standards he keeps going on about?

Unread 12-12-2023, 02:41 PM
Ethers

You can’t get that level of insight without having played the man’s game tbf.

Unread 12-12-2023, 02:50 PM
Sheik JaBooty

He's literally begging these women to come on his shitty podcast and is too thick to be even remotely subtle about his motives.

Didn't he have a pr pic taken of him reading Neitzche on a train once and it was upside down?

*In fairness, It may have been photoshopped or I dreamed it.

Unread 12-12-2023, 02:56 PM
Whip Hubley

can we all agree the majority of male, female or otherwise punditry is largely absolute shite these days.

Struggle to think of more than 3 or 4 whose opinion or commentary i respect.

Unread 12-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
can we all agree the majority of male, female or otherwise punditry is largely absolute shite these days.

Struggle to think of more than 3 or 4 whose opinion or commentary i respect.
Yep. The standard of Punditry and co-commentary is awful. And now there’s women too. You’ve got Barton pointing out a woman saying ‘side foot’ ONCE when referring to a shot off the laces, but he apparently has no issue with the broadcasting standard of Daniel Sturridge doing the stanky leg or Paul Merson mispronouncing every name he comes across.

I feel like he’s learned the word ‘tokenism’ in the last couple of weeks too

Unread 12-12-2023, 03:36 PM
Finport Red

I think, by this stage, Barton should be banned from talking altogether. There’s never going to be anything worthwhile said, but the answer to this particular complaint is Paul Merson.

To tell the truth, I can’t even remember the last time I listened to a pundit before, during or after a game. There’s only so much ignorant nonsense I can tolerate on any given day so I’m not the slightest bit interested in what absolute dunderheads on television have to say about any match. I get my quota on here.

Unread 12-12-2023, 05:42 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Yep. The standard of Punditry and co-commentary is awful. And now there’s women too. You’ve got Barton pointing out a woman saying ‘side foot’ ONCE when referring to a shot off the laces, but he apparently has no issue with the broadcasting standard of Daniel Sturridge doing the stanky leg or Paul Merson mispronouncing every name he comes across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
I think, by this stage, Barton should be banned from talking altogether. There’s never going to be anything worthwhile said, but the answer to this particular complaint is Paul Merson.

To tell the truth, I can’t even remember the last time I listened to a pundit before, during or after a game. There’s only so much ignorant nonsense I can tolerate on any given day so I’m not the slightest bit interested in what absolute dunderheads on television have to say about any match. I get my quota on here.
The last time I was unfortunate enough to see any of Soccer Saturday, you had Merson sitting in a corner, mumbling and drooling his way through completely failing to tell you what was actually going on in the game he was watching. He makes Rowley Birkin Q.C. appear eminently lucid.
Clinton Morrison was unable to string enough words together to make any kind of a coherent sentence when trying to describe the action in the game he was covering.
Next to them, despite forgetting names, Tim Sherwood seems remarkably erudite. Until you remember that next to anyone else, it's obvious Tim Sherwood is a dribbling buffoon.

Unread 12-12-2023, 05:58 PM
larry

joey's point is not that all men are good and all women are bad as pundits on men's football. of course there are terrible male pundits out there, but there are also some good ones (or used to be?). whereas it is actually impossible for a woman (an adult human female) regardless of intelligence / likeability / charisma to make a good pundit on men's football as they have no frame of reference.
if a lion could speak, we could not understand him

Unread 12-12-2023, 06:33 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
joey's point is not that all men are good and all women are bad as pundits on men's football. of course there are terrible male pundits out there, but there are also some good ones (or used to be?). whereas it is actually impossible for a woman (an adult human female) regardless of intelligence / likeability / charisma to make a good pundit on men's football as they have no frame of reference.
if a lion could speak, we could not understand him
Even if that were his point; which I don’t think it really is, he completely contradicted himself by saying the likes of some presenters like Mark Chapman have earned the right by putting the work in.

What work? Like being on the telly and talking about it?

He’s a £#%&!ing idiot. And a thug. And a shit player. And a £#%&!er. Other than that , I’ve no problem with him

Unread 12-12-2023, 07:23 PM
Patty_b

Quote:

He want even right with that, from the bits I've picked up she said he could have laced it but didn't, not that he laced it.

He doesn't have any point and he knows it, he's just on the 'anti-woke' grift trail for his new podcast because anyone involved in the game with a microbe of sense won't touch with a bargepole because he's proved time and again over his life so far that he's a grade A @#%&!.

Unread 12-12-2023, 07:36 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
He want even right with that, from the bits I've picked up she said he could have laced it but didn't, not that he laced it.

He doesn't have any point and he knows it, he's just on the 'anti-woke' grift trail for his new podcast because anyone involved in the game with a microbe of sense won't touch with a bargepole because he's proved time and again over his life so far that he's a grade A @#%&!.
Yeah, that was what he got totally wrong. Made him self look an even bigger @#%&!.

Isherwood, Merson, Morrison etc are all the same. None could tell you anything about the players in some.of the games they comment on - preferred positions, their goal ratios etc, it's basically jobs for the boys. Same on Champions League games. Historically, you can tell that no revision goes into "foreign" teams and their players. Its a shambles.

Unread 12-12-2023, 07:36 PM
Finport Red

Quote:

Piers Morgan notes your comments, and chuckles quietly to his sweaty fat self.

Unread 12-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

Absolutely.

Unread 12-12-2023, 07:44 PM
History

Since having a daughter, the more I realise you need to be seen to be believed. When the most watched sporting event at a weekend is usually football. What actual harm is it doing having a female voice or face in between all the downtrodden gambling addicts, in debt because of a dodgy investment scheme usual ex footballers that we've put up with for the last however many years.

for e.g. Seeing 'Jill Scott - European champion with England x number of caps' when shes giving her opinion on a game could even been seen as inspiring for a number of people/kids considering it is a mens dominated game.

Some are absolute garbage, and when TV execs get their teeth into one and shove them down everyones throats like Alex scott, I understand the resentment. But tbh the same goes for Jenas, Neville etc.. they don't need to be on everything

So yes, us old dinosaurs are unlikely to take the women game seriously at any point, but shouldn't stop the next generation from knowing it exists

Barton is a clown, most see through PR campaign for a podcast i've ever seen.

Unread 12-12-2023, 09:00 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Even if that were his point; which I don’t think it really is, he completely contradicted himself by saying the likes of some presenters like Mark Chapman have earned the right by putting the work in.

What work? Like being on the telly and talking about it?

He’s a £#%&!ing idiot. And a thug. And a shit player. And a £#%&!er. Other than that , I’ve no problem with him
100%. Is every journalist not allowed to write or have an opinion either?

Barton is a horrific human being.

Unread 12-12-2023, 11:51 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Can't wait til it comes out that he bet on himself to get sent off against City for QPR.
…..wonder if he’s been the Cayman’s since. Nice hol destination I hear

Unread 13-12-2023, 12:31 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
100%. Is every journalist not allowed to write or have an opinion either?

Barton is a horrific human being.
Who cost us the league in 2012.

Unread 22-12-2023, 12:37 PM
Ethers

Unread 22-12-2023, 01:21 PM
Stickman

He is an absolute mess but this has got me thinking….

There will be a big push for a woman to manage a Premier League/Super league club soon enough and I wonder who it will be. 🤓