United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Tumescent Throb

this list from World Soccer is interesting. spurs v arsenal makes No.42 with neither Merseyside or Manc derbies included. United v Vermin is only No.28. the barca v real yawn fest is top ahead of the old firm game which is 3rd. what a crock of shit.

http://www.theoffside.com/world-foot...t-derbies.html

Unread 11-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

catholics and spanish

like chalk and cheese!

Unread 11-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
united vs liverpool is the biggest game in club football

celtic vs rangers is bigger than than real vs barcelona

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Withers

Go to bed throb.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM
LaPaz

Quote:
celtic vs rangers is bigger than than real vs barcelona
It will be this season as Sky have the rights to broadcast it again

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:08 AM
marlo

celtic and rangers a bigger game then barca vs real madrid

good old throb.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Thousands of whistles were handed out to fans for the return of figo only to be blown when he touched the ball.Mustve been deafening in there that night.
oh and this lobbed at him.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Go to bed throb.
I'm going to the beach after dinner. might have a snooze.

You seem resentful at the high status I give to the United v Liverpool game in world terms.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:18 AM
My Name is Keith

TT,

I'd question whether United v Liverpool is even the biggest game in United's season. As a fixture, it's been watered down for years for many reasons including an influx of out of town fans for both clubs and the fact that the two clubs weren't really competing against each other for the top spot.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
TT,

I'd question whether United v Liverpool is even the biggest game in United's season. As a fixture, it's been watered down for years for many reasons including an influx of out of town fans for both clubs and the fact that the two clubs weren't really competing against each other for the top spot.
don't disagree with your thrust.

but the intensity of the game is still very much there. there is obvious history of rivalry on the pitch and violence and hatred off it. there's the close proximity and the political and financial history of the two cities. and the two clubs have vast followings in many places all over the world. these are the gauges for it for me.

as for those mocking the Old Firm's global pull? pretty clueless tbh. the rivalry is recognised throughout the sporting world and beyond.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
don't disagree with your thrust.

but the intensity of the game is still very much there. there is obvious history of rivalry on the pitch and violence and hatred off it. there's the close proximity and the political and financial history of the two cities. and the two clubs have vast followings in many places all over the world. these are the gauges for it for me.

I agree but the rivalry is historic and fading fast. Supporters from both cities have been ostracized by their clubs/football and I just don't believe that anyone from Dartford can fully understand the Manc Scouse thing or embrace it as fully as is needed to maintain what existed in the 70's/80's. OOT supporters appear only to embrace it in an effort to be accepted but I'm not sure they really feel it.

Different derby but I can remember leaving the 5 - 1 at Maine Road to overhear two cockney reds comfort each other by saying "At least it wasn't Arsenal"

£#%&! me.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Zorg

The old firm thing is watered down by the fact that they play each other four times a season and then usually at least once more in cup competitions.

And that their league is complete shite.

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I agree but the rivalry is historic and fading fast. Supporters from both cities have been ostracized by their clubs/football and I just don't believe that anyone from Dartford can fully understand the Manc Scouse thing or embrace it as fully as is needed to maintain what existed in the 70's/80's. OOT supporters appear only to embrace it in an effort to be accepted but I'm not sure they really feel it.

Different derby but I can remember leaving the 5 - 1 at Maine Road to overhear two cockney reds comfort each other by saying "At least it wasn't Arsenal"

£#%&! me.
no yeah that's correctomundios no doubt. point drifted onto global audiences for TV tbh. i'd guess that in the global picture re ex-pats the Old Firm game would piss over every other sporting event in the world.

the United v Liverpool rivalry is huge all over England but it's totally different to how it is locally in Manc of course, ie if you're ever unfortunate enough to have to watch the match on TV in a Midlands pub it's all about imagined identity and about success bragging rights

Unread 11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
TT,

I'd go along with the idea it's been watered down. A number of factors are to be taken into considerations. The 'sanitisation' of the sport, stupid early kick off times, the fact that a lot of working class supporters have been priced out. Due to their lack of success in the league in recent years, over the last decade the atmosphere at anfield in particular still remains more vociferous than the one at Old Trafford. (imo)

Quote:

£#%&! me.
Don't agree with that at all. Infact I'd say on a daily basis I encounter more Liverpool supporters than most United supporters based in Manchester.

Do we really 'feel' the rivalry between the cities? Do we really understand it? Who knows. But to say that people from outside manchester only embrace the rivalry in an effort to be accepted, is a bit ignorant.

I know one thing for sure though, I sat there during that 4-1 game last season and it was the worst 90 mins of my life.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Withers

Quote:
I'm going to the beach after dinner. might have a snooze.

You seem resentful at the high status I give to the United v Liverpool game in world terms.
Not resentful, not got a clue why you would assume that.

I laughed at the suggestion last night and made a glib joke about you being up all night looking for evidence this morning. Hardly resentful.

I just disagree. I think the fixture has died a death in the last 6-8 years.

Usually played out in a sedate atmosphere at a time berely past breakfast for most people has completely killed it in my eyes.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I'd go along with the idea it's been watered down. A number of factors are to be taken into considerations. The 'sanitisation' of the sport, stupid early kick off times, the fact that a lot of working class supporters have been priced out. Due to their lack of success in the league in recent years, over the last decade the atmosphere at anfield in particular still remains more vociferous than the one at Old Trafford. (imo)

Don't agree with that at all. Infact I'd say on a daily basis I encounter more Liverpool supporters than most United supporters based in Manchester.

Do we really 'feel' the rivalry between the cities? Do we really understand it? Who knows. But to say that people from outside manchester only embrace the rivalry in an effort to be accepted, is a bit ignorant.

I know one thing for sure though, I sat there during that 4-1 game last season and it was the worst 90 mins of my life.

true dat. Im not from Manchester but I despise Liverpool with an unhealthy passion. I couldnt face seeing Liverpool win the league and that 4-1 £#%&!ing hurt. Seeing Gerrard kiss the camera, still, £#%&!ing kills.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
true dat. Im not from Manchester but I despise Liverpool with an unhealthy passion. I couldnt face seeing Liverpool win the league and that 4-1 £#%&!ing hurt. Seeing Gerrard kiss the camera, still, £#%&!ing kills.
i despise arsenal as much as liverpool, if im honest.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Not resentful, not got a clue why you would assume that.

I laughed at the suggestion last night and made a glib joke about you being up all night looking for evidence this morning. Hardly resentful.

I just disagree. I think the fixture has died a death in the last 6-8 years.

Usually played out in a sedate atmosphere at a time berely past breakfast for most people has completely killed it in my eyes.

the fixture has maybe dozed off a bit at times for a few reasons as discussed above, imo mainly because it isn't like it was in the 80s and probably never will be again. but it is still a huge game and a huge rivalry and is the biggest game in United's season for me, and therefore the biggest game in the world. United and Liverpool are after all two of the most important teams in world football. talk of the Derby taking back the significance it maybe lost is encouraging. probably demonstrates the link to success quite well though tbh.

got the "evidence" by typing 'global tv audiences for sport' or some such into the browser thingy. it's all over the interweb tbh. generally it suggests that the viewing figures are largely guesswork and that la liga guess that they are well behind the premiership and hope to change that by altering their kick-off times. united v liverpool barely registers in general searches, it seems.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I

I was being a bit controversial - I realise loads of people outside greater manchester share United's historic philosophy. Equally, a lot don't and there is no doubt in my mind that there will inevitably be a watering down of rivalries given our cosmopolitan support.

For example, I know some Midlands based reds who are £#%&!ing manic whenever we play villa - they are desperate to beat them. Whereas I really couldn't give a shit. Likewise, the City match has for many years been bobbins - but for me, the thought of losing to City is as grim as it gets.

But are we a better club because of our worldwide support? - undoubtedly.

Are our geographical rivalries less important than they used to be? - yes.

Can you celebrate the former whilst bemoaning the latter? Probably not.
Closed Thread