United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Clayton Smack@#%&!

Can you even have a beer on the terrace? I can't remember.. I was only a tyke when I watched us get drummed 4-0 :/

Unread 10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
That's more believable than the first statement he made.
what so you don't think United vs Liverpool is the biggest fixture in club football?

to the point where you find the mere suggestion worthy of a green smiley

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
big zlat,henry,messi,ronaldo,kaka,benzema,alonso,xavi, iniesta,alves,vdv,sniejer,bojan,robben,valdez,casi llas,ramos........

it is the biggest club game in football by some distance

yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
united vs liverpool is the biggest game in club football

celtic vs rangers is bigger than than real vs barcelona
hahahahahaha.

Throbbers you crack me up.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:45 PM
marlo

madrid be very afraid...

the king is back.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:55 PM
m14red

if you think OT is full of @#%&!s, which it is, then Real vs Barca is something else. 'yah wow this spectacle is sooo amazing' coupled with gimps who read world soccer magazine and are tossing themselves off as they make out the tiny ants on the green miles from their seat 'huhuhuh I think that's past it frenchman not good enough for the premiership terry henry'.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Smeggs

i'll have a few quid on nil nil.

Unread 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yep.

hahahahahaha.

Throbbers you crack me up.
wow another green smiley

very silly to dismiss the catholic vs protestant rivalry of the old firm

very ignorant as well, which isn't really surprising in your case sky boy

Unread 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
wow another green smiley

very silly to dismiss the catholic vs protestant rivalry of the old firm

very ignorant as well, which isn't really surprising in your case sky boy
i'm not dismissing it. It's a very passionate derby.

But to compare it to real madrid v barcelona in terms of stature and importance is £#%&!ing ridiculous.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
i'm not dismissing it. It's a very passionate derby.

But to compare it to real madrid v barcelona in terms of stature and importance is £#%&!ing ridiculous.
not at all. the "stature and importance" of the old firm game pisses all over el clasico.

there is a general widespread interest in the fixture from outsiders, increasingly so with tv coverage over the last decade and a half, and the current line-ups will increase that

but games like boca v river, rome v lazio have always been bigger spectacles

and United v Liverpool has always attracted mass global tv audiences

tis all about opinion, but the el clasico hype is just an attempt to raise the profile of la liga

two world famous clubs but no real genuine rivalry between them except in a more general sense of catalan paranoia and mutual suspicion. the actual football rivalry is almost purely based on the success of the two clubs and nothing much else.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
not at all. the "stature and importance" of the old firm game pisses all over el clasico.

there is a general widespread interest in the fixture from outsiders, increasingly so with tv coverage over the last decade and a half, and the current line-ups will increase that

but games like boca v river, rome v lazio have always been bigger spectacles

and United v Liverpool has always attracted mass global tv audiences

tis all about opinion, but the el clasico hype is just an attempt to raise the profile of la liga

two world famous clubs but no real genuine rivalry between them except in a more general sense of catalan paranoia and mutual suspicion. the actual football rivalry is almost purely based on the success of the two clubs and nothing much else.
Stop playing devils advocate, mate.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Stop playing devils advocate, mate.
don't get me wrong, i wouldn't open the curtains to watch celtic v rangers in the £#%&!ing garden as the saying goes

but it is one huge mother£#%&!ing match across the globe every time it gets played. and the atmosphere is £#%&!ing intense if you're lucky enough to get to one where the needle kicks in

can't imagine barca v real ever being even vaguely close to it

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
don't get me wrong, i wouldn't open the curtains to watch celtic v rangers in the £#%&!ing garden as the saying goes

but it is one huge mother£#%&!ing match across the globe every time it gets played. and the atmosphere is £#%&!ing intense if you're lucky enough to get to one where the needle kicks in

You're judging the whole thing based solely on the #@&%! bigots in the crowd and the hatred they hurl at each other. As a football spectacle, they are £#%&!ing dire, the players on show are £#%&!ing tosh and in terms of stadia they are played in it doesn't rank much better than Newcastle v Sunderland.

Real Madrid v Barcelona given the success of the 2 clubs, social history, the players which have played in the past and currently play for them, size of the grounds, the cities they are played in and the superior league makes it (for me) the biggest game of football in the world.

Unread 11-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Zorg

When my dad got made redundant about ten years ago, to cheer himself up he flew out to Madrid to watch Real v Barca.

It was a turgid 0-0 draw, the atmosphere was complete £#%&! and a taxi driver he spoke to said 'when we think we will lose, we not go'.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
When my dad got made redundant about ten years ago, to cheer himself up he flew out to Madrid to watch Real v Barca.

It was a turgid 0-0 draw, the atmosphere was complete £#%&! and a taxi driver he spoke to said 'when we think we will lose, we not go'.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
You're judging the whole thing based solely on the #@&%! bigots in the crowd and the hatred they hurl at each other. As a football spectacle, they are £#%&!ing dire, the players on show are £#%&!ing tosh and in terms of stadia they are played in it doesn't rank much better than Newcastle v Sunderland.

Real Madrid v Barcelona given the success of the 2 clubs, social history, the players which have played in the past and currently play for them, size of the grounds, the cities they are played in and the superior league makes it (for me) the biggest game of football in the world.
as I said, i'm judging it on the fact that whenever it gets played it's a huge mother£#%&!ing game across the globe

there is no social history as such between Barcelona and Real Madrid.

hard to imagine how any United fan could possibly think el clasico is a bigger game of football than United vs Liverpool tbh

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Grimson

Quote:

It's fallen pretty far in world football tbf. I can't imagine many people in South America, for example, are interested in the result. That's certainly not the case with Barca and Real.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
It's fallen pretty far in world football tbf. I can't imagine many people in South America, for example, are interested in the result. That's certainly not the case with Barca and Real.
across the globe except spanish speaking bits

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Zorg

Quote:
and the Chinese, Arabic, French and Russian speaking ones.

And most of the English-speaking ones.

Apart from that it's huge.

Unread 11-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Grimson

Quote:

Unread 11-08-2009, 02:10 AM
bcred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
A bits like the @#%&!s at the boo camp then.
Closed Thread