United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 06-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Jethro

Multiverse of Madness - One of the better Marvel films. The pull was Sam Raimi and while it's clear there is a template for these films his footprint is all over it for the most part. Some pretty good horror and angled crash zooms he's famous for. A proper score from Danny Elfman helped it a lot.

Unread 06-05-2022, 12:24 PM
FraUtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop

Morpheus from Pulp Fiction plays a teacher is some godforsaken shithole in LA following a transfer from a New York school he was almost murdered in. New place is full of scummy Mexican gangbangers and history repeats itself yadda yadda yadda. Entertaining sun drenched 90's claptrap with shades of American History X & Falling Down and some absolutely lovely cardigans and gold rimmed spectacles on display from the big man himself. Kelly Rowan (Candyman 2) was delightfully delicious as ever.
Having flashbacks to watching this and The Substitute as a kid
Tom Berenger and his special forces mates cleaning up a school

Unread 06-05-2022, 12:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd
Having flashbacks to watching this and The Substitute as a kid
Tom Berenger and his special forces mates cleaning up a school
Great film that was.

Loved The Principal, also.

Unread 06-05-2022, 03:05 PM
shenwen

Once upon a time in the west - popped up on Netflix so had a rewatch. Utterly beautiful. The acting, The soundtrack. There's not a wasted shot in the entire film. The composition of every frame is perfect and at least 50% of them are close ups of the actors' faces.

The ending is so good. Robards "And if one of them should pat your behind, just make believe it's nothing. They earned it " .

Eldest came back from the new Marvel film talking about CGI monsters and colour-coded laser fights (even he is getting sick of the formula) so I tried him on a bit of Leone. He didn't bite. One day, one day.

Unread 06-05-2022, 03:09 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Once upon a time in the west - popped up on Netflix so had a rewatch. Utterly beautiful. The acting, The soundtrack. There's not a wasted shot in the entire film. The composition of every frame is perfect and at least 50% of them are close ups of the actors' faces.

The ending is so good. Robards "And if one of them should pat your behind, just make believe it's nothing. They earned it " .

Eldest came back from the new Marvel film talking about CGI monsters and colour-coded laser fights (even he is getting sick of the formula) so I tried him on a bit of Leone. He didn't bite. One day, one day.
Crazy to think Morricone initially didn't want to do the film. I can't even begin to imagine a Leone film without Morricone conducting.

Unread 06-05-2022, 03:25 PM
AK14

The Gentleman

Awful.

A complete waste of time and very annoying.

Fell asleep with about 20 minutes left.

Unread 06-05-2022, 03:28 PM
NedKelly

Multiverse of Madness - horrendous. I went into this expecting some Raimi magic but from the looks of things Kevin Feige and the disaster that is the modern MCU didnít give him any creative control whatsoever. Looks like old Sam has suffered from studio interference big time.

MCU looks dead and buried, only pathetic man children and butch lesbians still seem to care. Batman changed things - all the top lads are eagerly awaiting the Batverse

Unread 06-05-2022, 03:38 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Crazy to think Morricone initially didn't want to do the film. I can't even begin to imagine a Leone film without Morricone conducting.
Agreed. OUTITW is a Leone/Morricone film. The score is that important. Not just for the mood of the film, also for the main characters, each with their own themes.

Came close to buying a poster for this film while doing errands earlier today. Was a bit overpriced though, so got a very cool Rashomon one instead, kind of Kabuki style. Getting that beauty framed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Multiverse of Madness - horrendous. I went into this expecting some Raimi magic but from the looks of things Kevin Feige and the disaster that is the modern MCU didnít give him any creative control whatsoever. Looks like old Sam has suffered from studio interference big time.

MCU looks dead and buried, only pathetic man children and butch lesbians still seem to care. Batman changed things - all the top lads are eagerly awaiting the Batverse
Currently working to get my two off Marvel and on the Batman trip

Unread 06-05-2022, 04:06 PM
guerreiro

Doctor Strange - Iím pretty much done with the MCU stuff now, had high hopes for this, but nah. Couldnít care less, no real story some proper shoddy CGI and just boring. Wanted the baddie to win.

Unread 06-05-2022, 08:06 PM
Sparky***

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Not quite what i was expecting and i must admit i was a tad disappointed that the pacing was so frantic. It felt extremely rushed.

Having said that i enjoyed the Raimi direction with the horror elements thrown in, and some of the action set pieces were very well done.

Not the greatest Marvel movie but by no means the worst. Felt like a very long episode of "what if..."

i'll give a 7/10

Unread 06-05-2022, 09:29 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Not quite what i was expecting and i must admit i was a tad disappointed that the pacing was so frantic. It felt extremely rushed.

Having said that i enjoyed the Raimi direction with the horror elements thrown in, and some of the action set pieces were very well done.

Not the greatest Marvel movie but by no means the worst. Felt like a very long episode of "what if..."

i'll give a 7/10
This marvel DC nonsense is shite to me but I've pretty much judged whether to watch one on your reviews over the last 15 years. Will probably just not watch any when Fred dies.

Thanks Sparks, you did a good thing.

Unread 06-05-2022, 09:57 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

i'll give a 7/10
It felt self contained which was a victory in itself.

Unread 06-05-2022, 11:50 PM
My Name is Heath

I liked it.

You have to have seen Wandavision and What if to get the most out if it.

Some brutal deaths and some neat ideas. Wish we had seen more multiverses tbph.

Reasons Iím not a Hollywood Casting Agent part one: I thought Cumberbatch was an odd looking chap in Sherlock.

Now, heís a classic Hollywood leading man.

Also the cameos deserve to be seen again. I pray they all return in future films.

Unread 07-05-2022, 01:52 PM
Poop

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original).

I never really liked it tbh, gave it another go last night. The father, what a man. Absolute headcase, far more so than his sons. And despite the bloodshed, cannibalism and what you have, house proud too

I loved this line

Poor guy, and it was a lovely door tbf.

Unread 07-05-2022, 02:22 PM
Jethro

Born to Win - Charismatic smackhead makes his way around 70s NYC looking for that last hit. Becomes involved with a woman trying to help him and cops trying to bust a big time dealer. Grim, but with a strange charm.

Unread 09-05-2022, 09:24 AM
Big Norm

The Personal History of David Copperfield. Absolute delight from start to finish with superb performances all round. The multi cultural casting works really well ( have a vague recollection of the Daily Mail having an aneurysm over this).

Dickens really was one of the greatest creators of characters ever.

Unread 09-05-2022, 09:31 AM
dunk

Pulp Fiction - still f***ing brilliant.

A Fish Called Wanda Kevin Kline is absolutely superb. Holds up well, a fantastic film.

Unread 09-05-2022, 09:36 AM
Jethro

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Perfect midnight film. The monologue about the end of the 60s is incredible.

Unread 09-05-2022, 12:51 PM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
The Batman - Real substandard conspiracy plot elevated slightly by a bloke in a rubber mask unraveling the clues. Almost tapped out 45 mins in but stuck with it and had some pretty decent pay offs.
Tapped out dead on 45mins. Couldnít hack the boring emo schtick anymore.

Unread 09-05-2022, 03:13 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Tapped out dead on 45mins. Couldnít hack the boring emo schtick anymore.
I fell asleep in an empty cinema to THE BATMAN.

up there with The Piano in worst films Iíve seen at the cinema

Apart from the very Italian American flightless bird, it was more dire than Eric and Kieron.

Paw Patrol did the mystery film much better.