United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 21-03-2022, 09:37 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Felt a bit sorry for the marvel mongs getting upset that they didn’t get their standard alien invasion and threat to humanity etc. you can tell they struggle with the more subtle approach.

Great film. Batman is actually a detective in this one.

Brilliant innit? It just felt, to me anyway, exactly what Batman should be. Suitably dark without being OTT. The fight scenes - subway and club in particular - were glorious. 'r pat nailed the character. The Riddler was excellent as well, proper serial killer vibes to the point where he could have been in mindhunter.

Unread 21-03-2022, 10:02 AM
My Name is Heath

Fireheart

Family film about a girl who wants to be a firefighter but her fireman dad won’t let her.

Good family film.

Better than The Batman by about 7 points.

9.5/10

Unread 21-03-2022, 10:37 AM
Jethro

The Hand of God - Coming of age drama set to the backdrop of Maradona's transfer to Napoli. Doesn't get more Italian than this.

Les Fauves - A stunt driver turned security guard is haunted by his wifes death while being stalked by her weird brother. A French film trying to do 80s American action and failing miserably.

The Squeeze - Michael Keaton plays a down on his luck bozo that strikes gold when he comes across a machine that rigs the lottery. Finds himself being hunted by a crime syndicate all while trying to save the day and get the lady. Really nice 80s New York comedy/thriller.

The Farmer - A man comes home from WWII only to find his family farm about to be auctioned off due to tax arrears. After a gangster has an accident outside his house he ends up being a gun for hire to pay off his debts. One of the best American revenge films ever made. Goes so f***ing hard.

Dangerously Close - A group of students form a gang called The Sentinels to stamp out antisocial behaviour in schools. They end up putting their victims through a most dangerous game type scenario till one ends up dying. Quite amazed at how much I liked this.

Unread 21-03-2022, 11:26 AM
AK14

Adam Project

Good fun

Got a bit bored near the end but watching it with my lad and old man I’m not gunna lie I had a tear in my eye at the end.

Power of the Dog

Odd and uncomfortable movie to watch at times but decent enough. Cucumberpatch is decent but Plemons and Dunst steal the show imo, just not enough of them in it. The young lad is very creepy

Unread 21-03-2022, 11:29 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Brilliant innit? It just felt, to me anyway, exactly what Batman should be. Suitably dark without being OTT. The fight scenes - subway and club in particular - were glorious. 'r pat nailed the character. The Riddler was excellent as well, proper serial killer vibes to the point where he could have been in mindhunter.
I hope they have paid some royalties to the Trailer Park Boys...

Unread 21-03-2022, 11:35 AM
AK14

Quote:
Felt a bit sorry for the marvel mongs getting upset that they didn’t get their standard alien invasion and threat to humanity etc. you can tell they struggle with the more subtle approach.

Great film. Batman is actually a detective in this one.
Just a shit one.

I had it wrapped up in about 45 minutes while he was still chasing shadows…

“Maybe he’s the flightless bird we’re looking for” etc

The Riddler and
Spoiler:
click to showhide
joker
click to showhide
cell scene was just

Difference with MCU and DCU imo is the MCU knows it’s silly, it’s pretty much aimed at kids with a bit of adult humour thrown in. Where as DCU takes itself way too serious. Why was this Batman a 15 btw? When I heard this was the darkest Batman movie ever made I was excited but then it turns out they were just talking about the lighting

Pattison a good Batman though imo and I enjoyed how he was getting arse kicked and making mistakes because after all he’s just a kid in a suit. Hopefully the sequel is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

One of the worst Batman villains in a movie imo.

Very cringe.

Unread 21-03-2022, 11:51 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Fireheart

Family film about a girl who wants to be a firefighter but her fireman dad won’t let her.

Good family film.

Better than The Batman by about 7 points.

9.5/10

https://youtu.be/g1-7ov3x53o
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Just a s**t one.

I had it wrapped up in about 45 minutes while he was still chasing shadows…

“Maybe he’s the flightless bird we’re looking for” etc

The Riddler and
Spoiler:
click to showhide
joker
click to showhide
cell scene was just

Difference with MCU and DCU imo is the MCU knows it’s silly, it’s pretty much aimed at kids with a bit of adult humour thrown in. Where as DCU takes itself way too serious. Why was this Batman a 15 btw? When I heard this was the darkest Batman movie ever made I was excited but then it turns out they were just talking about the lighting

Pattison a good Batman though imo and I enjoyed how he was getting arse kicked and making mistakes because after all he’s just a kid in a suit. Hopefully the sequel is better

One of the worst Batman villains in a movie imo.

Very cringe.
One throwaway comments and the soy boys come running. Jesus lads, no one is stopping you from enjoying your space adventures with CGI trees and raccoons, some of us just want a bit of variety when we go to the cinema.

Edit - I’m assuming windy is unfamiliar with the Zodiac killer.

Unread 21-03-2022, 11:57 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
One throwaway comments and the soy boys come running. Jesus lads, no one is stopping you from enjoying your space adventures with CGI trees and raccoons, some of us just want a bit of variety when we go to the cinema.

never knew different types of comic book films could get folk so wound up.

Anyway, might watch Licorice Pizza tonight. Hopefully my opinion on that will be less triggering...

Unread 21-03-2022, 12:03 PM
AK14

Quote:

Just a discussion pal.

Love the bat normally but felt this one was a let down considering the hype it’s received. It felt more like a HBO show than a movie imo.

Bat, Gordon, Penguin- good
Catwomen, Riddler, story- shit

Imo.

Edit- Also Serkis as Alfred didn’t work for me and I thought he was wasted in that role. He’d have made for a good villain.

Quote:

never knew different types of comic book films could get folk so wound up.

Anyway, might watch Licorice Pizza tonight. Hopefully my opinion on that will be less triggering...

Unread 21-03-2022, 12:18 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
The Batman.

Not flawless, but by far the best batman film i've seen in my lifetime, and a world away from the vastly overrated nolan trilogy.

Tone, atmosphere, casting, score, all absolutely spot on. Superb.
Totally agree.

Unread 21-03-2022, 12:56 PM
AK14

Spoiler:
click to showhide
Was the bloke in the cell next to the riddler the joker and is it really going to be the little Irish fella from The Eternals?
click to showhide

Unread 22-03-2022, 11:29 AM
Poop

Watched Coppola's Dracula last night. Don't need to say anything about it really, it is what it unfortunately is.

Those three brides though, Jesus, be well up for a dose of hepatitis with them I would...

Unread 22-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Spoiler:
click to showhide
Was the bloke in the cell next to the riddler the joker and is it really going to be the little Irish fella from The Eternals?
click to showhide
Spoiler:
click to showhide
Yup. Poundland Ezra Miller
click to showhide

Unread 22-03-2022, 11:42 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Spoiler:
click to showhide
click to showhide
Yes and yes.

Paw Patrol movie was better.

Too dark. It was like watching se7en if Brad Pitt was wearing a black bin bag.

Unread 22-03-2022, 01:36 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop
Watched Coppola's Dracula last night. Don't need to say anything about it really, it is what it unfortunately is.

Those three brides though, Jesus, be well up for a dose of hepatitis with them I would...

Absolutely incredible?

Unread 22-03-2022, 01:36 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Not sure why you have mentioned me pal, I don't like superhero films.

I did go and see The Batman last night, though. Thought it was bloody brilliant. Haven't wanted to see a film so much afrer seeing the trailer in a long time. RK was very good, Catwoman was very easy on the eye. I like the 'darker' films - also loved Joker. The only thing I would say was how no one managed to shoot Batman in the face with all of those bullets flying around. I also couldnt picture where I had seen the actor who plays the riddler - turns out he was in Escape from Dannemora.

Marvel films and windy...good one.

Unread 22-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Absolutely incredible?
Maybe if it was just Gary Oldman wandering about in his castle all miserable and talking to himself for 2 hours it would have been.

Unread 22-03-2022, 01:48 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Not sure why you have mentioned me pal, I don't like superhero films.

I did go and see The Batman last night, though. Thought it was bloody brilliant. Haven't wanted to see a film so much afrer seeing the trailer in a long time. RK was very good, Catwoman was very easy on the eye. I like the 'darker' films - also loved Joker. The only thing I would say was how no one managed to shoot Batman in the face with all of those bullets flying around. I also couldnt picture where I had seen the actor who plays the riddler - turns out he was in Escape from Dannemora.

Marvel films and windy...good one.
Meant to quote yours separately from others - the Riddler outfit is a pretty blatant homage to the Zodiac killer imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Yes and yes.

Paw Patrol movie was better.

Unread 22-03-2022, 02:43 PM
windy waffles

Just gone a quick google search.

As you say, perfect homage. Or rip off.

Unread 22-03-2022, 05:26 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
I don't like superhero films.
"But here's an essay on the one I just watched and thought was brilliant".