United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts
Reply
 
Unread 01-01-2022, 09:12 PM
Chorlton74
 
Lightbulb Movies I saw this weekend - 2022 Edition

[IMG][/IMG]

The DC and MCU machine rolls on.

The Batman is the stand out pick for me. Anything else half decent on the cards this year?

Happy viewing
 
Unread 01-01-2022, 09:26 PM
Sparky***
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
[IMG][/IMG]

The DC and MCU machine rolls on.

The Batman is the stand out pick for me. Anything else half decent on the cards this year?

Happy viewing
Dr Strange looks good. Thor might be all right. it's got the same guy doing it that did the last one.
 
Unread 01-01-2022, 09:30 PM
Vedder
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
[IMG][/IMG]

The DC and MCU machine rolls on.

The Batman is the stand out pick for me. Anything else half decent on the cards this year?

Happy viewing
Are there any other films these days other than superhero shit?
 
Unread 01-01-2022, 09:32 PM
dunk
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Are there any other films these days other than superhero shit?
Literally hundreds.
 
Unread 01-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Fat Al
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Are there any other films these days other than superhero shit?
4 of the 10 aren't Superhero films.

Granted though, a bit more variety would be nice.
 
Unread 01-01-2022, 09:37 PM
AK14
 
Default

Looking forward to the top 6 but not so much the others. I never got into the Avatar hype tbh.

Looking forward to Lightyear and Sonic tooÖ
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 08:50 AM
flixton
 
Default

Is Black Panther 2 seriously the most anticipated movie of 2022? How is that measured? I notice it is described as "news" not "some bloke off the internet trying to score brownie points"
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 09:17 AM
NedKelly
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Is Black Panther 2 seriously the most anticipated movie of 2022? How is that measured? I notice it is described as "news" not "some bloke off the internet trying to score brownie points"
Outside of the internet the only film Iíve heard anyone mention on that list is the Batman.

Edit - tell a lie, my mum goes mad for the Jurassic park films.
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 09:25 AM
Dr Stranger
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
[IMG][/IMG]

The DC and MCU machine rolls on.

The Batman is the stand out pick for me. Anything else half decent on the cards this year?

Happy viewing
Are these official anticipation stats?
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 03:54 PM
BarryX
 
Default

Finally got round to watching Dune Part One last night. Late to the party but thought it was immense. One of the best films in the science fiction genre imho (thought the pacing was superb, but can understand how modern audiences might well have wanted something that moved forward a little quicker).

Have never read the books, which I'm going to have to do now, but the film told me enough to know that George Lucas must have totally ripped off Herbert's original novel when coming up with Star Wars. Obviously Herbert himself agreed. Why he didn't sue is beyond me...
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 06:01 PM
Buck
 
Default

Watched The Odessa File (1974). Set in 1963, a journalist receives the journal of an elderly Jewish man who committed suicide. It outlines his experiences and the evil crimes he witnessed as a prisoner of a Nazi concentration camp. The officer in charge of the camp escaped and an underground network of Nazi officers exists which the journalist now takes upon himself to bring to justice.

I thought it was a very good movie. The officer being tracked down in the film, Eduard Roschmann, was in fact still alive and hiding out in South America. An attempt to extradite him from Argentina was made which the government announced they would consider so he fled to Paraguay where he died shortly afterwards in 1977.
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 07:46 PM
TripDownMiseryLane
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Watched The Odessa File (1974). Set in 1963, a journalist receives the journal of an elderly Jewish man who committed suicide. It outlines his experiences and the evil crimes he witnessed as a prisoner of a Nazi concentration camp. The officer in charge of the camp escaped and an underground network of Nazi officers exists which the journalist now takes upon himself to bring to justice.

I thought it was a very good movie. The officer being tracked down in the film, Eduard Roschmann, was in fact still alive and hiding out in South America. An attempt to extradite him from Argentina was made which the government announced they would consider so he fled to Paraguay where he died shortly afterwards in 1977.
Very good film about a very interesting topic that has received very little attention considering that so many of the people, responsible for possibly the worse crimes against humanity ever, got a get out of jail free card after the war.

The USA and Britain were particularly keen on helping nazis escape justice, as was the Vatican and the emerging West Germany.

Blind Eye to Murder - Tom Bowers https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Eye_to_Murder

The Ratline - Philippe Sands
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...bt Zs0&rank=1
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 10:33 PM
AK14
 
Default

Donít Look Up

Decent enough and kind of reminded me or Mars Attacks.

Canít stand Jonah Hill thoughÖ. Heís got the annoying p**** character down to a T and I think itís because he actually intact an annoying c***.
 
Unread 02-01-2022, 10:42 PM
Fat Al
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Very good film about a very interesting topic that has received very little attention considering that so many of the people, responsible for possibly the worse crimes against humanity ever, got a get out of jail free card after the war.

The USA and Britain were particularly keen on helping nazis escape justice, as was the Vatican and the emerging West Germany.

Blind Eye to Murder - Tom Bowers https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Eye_to_Murder

The Ratline - Philippe Sands
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...bt Zs0&rank=1
Yanks did the same with the Japanese as well.

As for the film, Forsyth is a hell of a story teller. The Day of the Jackal just edges it as my fave book of his.
And the little 'loophole' that was used by The Jackal to get his false passport still hadn't been plugged over 30 years later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3098104.stm
 
Unread 03-01-2022, 12:09 AM
TripDownMiseryLane
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Yanks did the same with the Japanese as well.

As for the film, Forsyth is a hell of a story teller. The Day of the Jackal just edges it as my fave book of his.
And the little 'loophole' that was used by The Jackal to get his false passport still hadn't been plugged over 30 years later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3098104.stm
Sure is and the stories transfer to film was faultless on those two.
 
Unread 03-01-2022, 11:40 AM
Jethro
 
Default

Narrow Margin - Remake of the 50s noir but with a mid budget 90s vibe. Woman witnesses a mob hit and is transported cross country with a DA trying to get her to testify. Brilliantly paced with some great set pieces.

Nothing Underneath - Models are being killed in 80s Milan and it takes a brother with psychic abilities or something to save everyone. Basically a De Palma film with a budget of a tenner.

A Star is Born - One of the best mainstream films in recent years. The dog sat outside the garage at the end gets me every single time.

Licorice Pizza - Even better second time. Hangout films are the best.
 
Unread 03-01-2022, 12:07 PM
Buck
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Yanks did the same with the Japanese as well.

As for the film, Forsyth is a hell of a story teller. The Day of the Jackal just edges it as my fave book of his.
And the little 'loophole' that was used by The Jackal to get his false passport still hadn't been plugged over 30 years later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3098104.stm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Sure is and the stories transfer to film was faultless on those two.
Haven't read the book but saw The Day of the Jackal shown on the Great Movies channel a few weeks ago. Agree with you both - brilliant movie.

Last night I rewatched Appointment with Death. Peter Ustinov's final Hercule Poirot movie. I would say it's the weakest of his movies but not because of his performance. David Suchet took Poirot to another level but Ustinov was great too.
 
Unread 03-01-2022, 12:21 PM
BarryX
 
Default

Don't Look Up. Came out about 18 months too late (obviously was written around then, but felt a tad outdated, post-Trump, and a little bit too Republicans bad, Democrats good). The themes totally outweighed the narrative, which was obviously the point. Was alright, but not worthy of the budget.
 
Unread 03-01-2022, 12:33 PM
TripDownMiseryLane
 
Default

Enjoyed Mary, Queen of Scots last night on the beeb, so its on the player. 2 great performances from the leading ladies in a well written, well directed film.
 
Unread 04-01-2022, 09:03 PM
Spock
 
Default

Spiderman whatever it was at the flicks this afternoon...

good fun but dragged it out a bit, latest spidey was a bit of a tw*t, Garfield was the best one and never seen those so will watch, Maguire looks ancient (and not very good, like our one etc)

Molina was great and Dafoe a real treat, best thing in it
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Movies I saw this weekend - 2022 Edition
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Movies i saw this weekend - 2021 edition Chorlton74 TV / Film / Books / Arts 1387 01-01-2022 06:17 AM
'Movies' I saw this weekend II Ginners TV / Film / Books / Arts 10036 22-12-2014 02:22 PM
Special Edition/Directors Cut movies. magic_cantona TV / Film / Books / Arts 20 20-06-2009 12:02 PM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2022 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.