United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts
Closed Thread

Unread 19-06-2009, 01:51 PM
magic_cantona

Default Special Edition/Directors Cut movies.

Have you seen any kind of 'Feature Length' movie which has actually made it much better?

I've just watched Aliens (Special Edition) again.I suppose it makes it better because you get to see how the Aliens get to the colony, what happened to Ripleys daughter etc.

Has anyone see any Lord Of The Rings special editions?Aren't some of them supposed to be 4 and a half hours long or summat?

Unread 19-06-2009, 01:54 PM
armchair

I prefer Apocalypse Now Redux to the original which I think was disjointed.

Unread 19-06-2009, 01:55 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I prefer Apocalypse Now Redux to the original which I think was disjointed.
Not a fan at all of Apocalypse Now

Enjoyed the 'Charlie Don't Surf' scenes and the ending was good.Apart from that, 5/10

Unread 19-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Sloppy

Robocop the directors is good.He has a robot son in it after he shags that female cop.

Unread 20-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Jason Todd

Daredevil, The Punisher and Pineapple Express are all better in the extended/directors cut versions.

Unread 20-06-2009, 07:42 AM
borsuk

bladerunner the director's cut is fantastic

Unread 20-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Argentina

American Pie with boobies is good.

Unread 20-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Poop

Thumbs up

As above, Robocop DC is f***ing immense.

Mr Kenny gets absolutely annihilated in the board room by ED-209 whilst Murphy pretty much follows the same fate when Clarence and his goons go to town on him in the old mill.

Think I might watch it tonight after that

Unread 20-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Why Don?

I watched Aliens SE last night for about the 10th time. I must have seen the original film about 50 times.

For me, the Special Edition is best avoided.

Hudson is possibly my favourite character from the original film, but I think the SE makes him look like a d***.

The sentry guns are great, but they don't make up for the "sharp sticks" part.

Unread 20-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Chorlton74

Superman II - Richard Donner version.

Stripes made a lot more sense too.

Blue Brothers as well.

Unread 20-06-2009, 09:41 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
bladerunner the director's cut is fantastic
I've never watched Blade Runner

Unread 20-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Fat Al

Surprised no-one has mentioned The Abyss.

Directors Cut of that should have been the cinematic release IMHO.

Unread 20-06-2009, 10:34 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I've never watched Blade Runner
then you're very lucky. a cinematic masterpiece awaits.

Unread 20-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

the lord of the rings ones are all superb.

most director cuts are bad ideas - there's a reason the were not released like that in the first place (directors egos mainly), but the lotr trilogy were just cut for time so the stuff put back in is all quality

there are some exceptions though

bladerunner the final cut (few added bits and no VO make this the definitive version - finally!)
aliens

agree about the abyss as well - top film

Unread 20-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Don?
I watched Aliens SE last night for about the 10th time. I must have seen the original film about 50 times.

For me, the Special Edition is best avoided.

Hudson is possibly my favourite character from the original film, but I think the SE makes him look like a d***.

The sentry guns are great, but they don't make up for the "sharp sticks" part.
Aliens is my favourite film of all time, the directors cut is good, but i prefer the theatrical version.

Unread 20-06-2009, 11:05 AM
newsie

I'm going to have to give Bladerunner a go if you lot think it's so good. Did have to look it up as I thought you were on about that Arnie film with the bird with 3 boobs and couldn't understand how anyone could think that was that good, but after a bit of research I realised that was Total Recall.

Unread 20-06-2009, 11:13 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsie
I'm going to have to give Bladerunner a go if you lot think it's so good. Did have to look it up as I thought you were on about that Arnie film with the bird with 3 boobs and couldn't understand how anyone could think that was that good, but after a bit of research I realised that was Total Recall.

the three ***s are the only bit of that piece of crap that anyone can recall

bladerunner is a true gem, though. a classic film noir which happens to be set in the future, manages to combine action, an intelligent plot with genuinely thoughtful philosophical concerns about the nature of life, the self and the value of a life. really well directed, great music, beautifully shot, super performances. just a magnificent film.

i like it, btw.

Unread 20-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

the three ***s are the only bit of that piece of crap that anyone can recall
i tend to find its the taxi driver that's got 5 kids to feed.

Unread 20-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Zorg

Bladerunner is one of the greatest films ever, surely the best sci-fi film ever. The Director's Cut is great, especially without that awful voice over that wasn't either Ridley Scott's or Harrison Ford's intention.

Unread 20-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Bladerunner is one of the greatest films ever, surely the best sci-fi film ever. The Director's Cut is great, especially without that awful voice over that wasn't either Ridley Scott's or Harrison Ford's intention.
if it was never their intention why on earth did they allow it to happen?

the voiceover version. not good. not good at all.
Closed Thread