United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic

Unread 28-05-2022, 08:36 AM
suedeshoes

Default Hi de Hi campers

Many happy campers on board? I've recently got back into it.

Had a few wild camps recently and off to spots in Derbyshire today and next week.

Been loaned/given (they don't always ask for stuff back) a tent and bits-and-bobs so I can use my camp to create a bit of 'content' for brands websites and socials. A 600 quid tent! I'm expecting it to fly tbh.

Anyway. Any expert tips? Places to go? Best roll mats? Do you do your own cooking? Filter your own water? Take a weapon? Shit in the woods?

Unread 28-05-2022, 08:49 AM
Drexl

Keep us updated pal!

I've been thinking about camping a bit recently. Own zero gear, not been for decades. In fact, last time we went, it was walk till you drop then sleep under a waterproof poncho

You have inspired me to go out and buy a knife with a compass in the pommel, and a needle and thread hidden inside the tang in case I have to jump off a cliff into a tree.

Unread 28-05-2022, 09:02 AM
f.e.a.r.

I go camping for a couple of days every 3 weeks or so. The good thing about living in Australia is there are hundreds of free or very low-cost campsites, with varying levels of comfort/convenience like non-flushing toilets, showers, etc.

Sometimes I carry everything on my back: Naturehike lightweight tent, Klymit inflatable pad, duckdown sleeping bag, Jetboil stove etc and hike to where I set up. Other times I do "car camping" where everything is chosen for comfort rather than weight, with a 12v fridge in the car etc.

I'm about to send my wife and daughter off on a flight back to Manchester in June. As soon as they've boarded the plane, I'm packing the car and doing 19 days straight camping through Victoria, South Australia and the Northern Territory, taking in Uluru etc.

Unread 28-05-2022, 09:02 AM
no fun

Benlech bay Anglesey 1970

School trip

Never done it since

f*** that, thereís these buildings called hotels with beds and showers

Unread 28-05-2022, 09:03 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.e.a.r. View Post
I go camping for a couple of days every 3 weeks or so. The good thing about living in Australia is there are hundreds of free or very low-cost campsites, with varying levels of comfort/convenience like non-flushing toilets, showers, etc.

Sometimes I carry everything on my back: Naturehike lightweight tent, Klymit inflatable pad, duckdown sleeping bag, Jetboil stove etc and hike to where I set up. Other times I do "car camping" where everything is chosen for comfort rather than weight, with a 12v fridge in the car etc.

I'm about to send my wife and daughter off on a flight back to Manchester in June. As soon as they've boarded the plane, I'm packing the car and doing 19 days straight camping through Victoria, South Australia and the Northern Territory, taking in Uluru etc.
Get a load of Ivan Milat over here.

Unread 28-05-2022, 09:13 AM
Hyman_Roth

I wild camp a lot. Always in the lakes though because weíre doing the wainwrights.

May is the best time btw.

Know loads of spots and kit recommendations. Shout up with any specifics.

Unread 28-05-2022, 09:13 AM
suedeshoes

No fun and f.e.a.r there representing the full spectrum of the forum.

I've got a bit of experience but I'm not an expert. I try to camp near-ish to where I leave the car so I can access stuff I cba carrying but I'm trying to get a bit 'wilder' this year.

I don't drink now so I need comfort for kipping rather than just a roof to crash out under.

The tent I'm trying now is inflatable and looks amazing. My roll mat is comfier than my bed.

Never tried cooking yet. A brand has sent me the kit to try but it seems like a mither to me.

Unread 28-05-2022, 09:21 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.e.a.r. View Post

What about all the poisonous insects and snakes etc? And a bit hot?

Unread 28-05-2022, 09:23 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
What about all the poisonous insects and snakes etc? And a bit hot?
Yeah f.e.a.r. Have you had any close calls out there? I see clips of the spiders and the snakes in peoples homes and i can only assume Lovecraft was envisioning Australia when he conjured all manner of Eldritch horrors on the page.

Unread 28-05-2022, 10:00 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
Get a load of Ivan Milat over here.
Ivor Mallet more like.

Unread 28-05-2022, 10:12 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
I wild camp a lot. Always in the lakes though because weíre doing the wainwrights.

May is the best time btw.

Know loads of spots and kit recommendations. Shout up with any specifics.
What walking/running galoshers would you recommend? Salomons?

Unread 28-05-2022, 10:55 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark View Post
What walking/running galoshers would you recommend? Salomons?
No, get your own.

Unread 28-05-2022, 11:00 AM
measlyshark

Apostrophe?

Unread 28-05-2022, 11:07 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark View Post
Apostrophe?
No, thatís a question mark.

Unread 28-05-2022, 11:11 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
No, thatís a question mark.

Unread 28-05-2022, 11:41 AM
Noob

Gave up camping when they stopped doing Donner kebab pot noodles.

Unread 28-05-2022, 12:23 PM
Hyman_Roth

We all have these things which are ace:

https://www.jetboil.com/

Down sleeping bag, mate has a bivvy but I have a small lightweight van go two man tent. Wind is the enemy. And rain. And the cold. So Iíd always take a tent but it is a ballache to carry. Sleeping mat is a thermorest thing which was stupidly expensive.

Have a lot of tent envy atm and would really like a hilliberg or an msr but I donít go enough to justify the cost plus mine is decent in any case.

If you want some camping spot ideas that can be walked to from the car in the lakes shout up.

Wayfarer on the food tip:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1589328...-food-15893284

Unread 28-05-2022, 12:43 PM
suedeshoes

The mate I'm going with has got a well-dear MSR. It looks amazing. I'm using a Heimplanet Fistral. The reviews are really good and I'll add my own and if I like it hopefully they won't ask for it back.

I'm taking Mars bars and Wotsits. He's doing the cooking.

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:17 PM
Switching Off

Used to do it a lot.

Concertina style water bottles that fold flat are much easier to carry empty.

Hospital bed wipes off Amazon are good for freshening up if you've not got ready access to showers.

Cereal multipacks if you have family with you. Can pour the milk straight into the plastic bag.

Follow me for more tips.

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:32 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off View Post
Used to do it a lot.

Concertina style water bottles that fold flat are much easier to carry empty.

Hospital bed wipes off Amazon are good for freshening up if you've not got ready access to showers.

Cereal multipacks if you have family with you. Can pour the milk straight into the plastic bag.

Follow me for more tips.
You utter f***ing savage