United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Wheres serenity?This is right up his street.
Think he's heading up a battalion of Farc rebels deep in the heart of Venezuela. Hates Chavez more than he loves football and that's a lot.

Unread 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM
red in cumbria

Wasn't it Cruyff's Barca that got their arses totally handed to them by Milan, though?

And didn't he end up getting the sack??

Not saying he wasn't a very good manager - but by contrast his playing career was almost faultless (on the pitch, anyway )

Which means that Beckenbauer has the edge for me, tbh.

Unread 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Wasn't it Cruyff's Barca that got their arses totally handed to them by Milan, though?

Not saying he wasn't a very good manager - but by contrast his playing career was almost faultless (on the pitch, anyway )

No, it's Guardiola. Pretty good player and had to make do with Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi his entire managerial career.

Unread 01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Can Beckenbauer really be regarded as a great manager when he only really had one job and that was in charge of a German side that he'd not long finished playing for? Not sure, myself.

Unread 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
The Watcher

Quote:

You're a £#%&!ing idiot.

Unread 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Can Beckenbauer really be regarded as a great manager when he only really had one job and that was in charge of a German side that he'd not long finished playing for? Not sure, myself.
I fancy I could manage Germany to a world cup and I don't even speak german

Unread 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Baron

Hendrik Johannes Cruijff

A wonderful man.

Zagallo if you're talking International stage. 2 World Cups as a player & 1 as a manager ffs

Unread 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
I fancy I could manage Germany to a world cup and I don't even speak german
It's quite clear you don't have to be an exceptional manager to win a World Cup. If Zidane hadn't lost his mind, chances are Raymond Domenech would have a World Cup winners medal.

Hard to argue with Cruyff, but Trap and Capello both make strong cases.

Unread 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
DuanePipe

Overall, Cruyff.

If you weight the talent of the player in to the overall score he would only have needed to be a moderately successful manager to win this theoretical competition. As he was patently not a moderately successful manager, he was a top drawer manager, you bolt that on to what he was as a player and he wins easily imo.

As far as English contenders go, Brian Clough played 274 senior games and scored 251 times. As a manager, he defined two clubs entire history.

Unread 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
ziggyman17

cruyff for sure.. One of the top 5 players of all time.. Always played the game the right way and then as a manager won everything playing the game the right way.. all of Barcelona's success today can be traced back to Cruyff..

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
You're a £#%&!ing idiot.
Its about opinions, you know.

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
cruyff for sure.. One of the top 5 players of all time.. Always played the game the right way and then as a manager won everything playing the game the right way.. all of Barcelona's success today can be traced back to Cruyff..
this. Cruyff's influence on Barcelona cannot be over-stated. Both as a player and as a manager. He is the lifeblood of the current FC Barcelona. La Masia is something he has nurtured.

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:59 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
And your opinion on this matter is a load of shite tbh.

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
armchair

He had that beating coming to him. Cryuff not ric.

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM
borsuk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
Overall, Cruyff.

If you weight the talent of the player in to the overall score he would only have needed to be a moderately successful manager to win this theoretical competition. As he was patently not a moderately successful manager, he was a top drawer manager, you bolt that on to what he was as a player and he wins easily imo.

As far as English contenders go, Brian Clough played 274 senior games and scored 251 times. As a manager, he defined two clubs entire history.
what he did to leeds definitely goes in the plus column as well

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:08 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He had that beating coming to him. Cryuff not ric.
Milan? tbf, he got bitch slapped in the European Cup final by them as a player too

tbf, it should've been United playing them that night. Law and Crerand both had legitimate goals disallowed.

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
tbf, it should've been United playing them that night. Law and Crerand both had legitimate goals disallowed
Well, we can agree on that anyway. My old man was at OT that night - still mentions it every so often

Given what we came to know later, there is a pretty fair possibility that the ref that night was bent

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:15 AM
armchair

Quote:
Milan? tbf, he got bitch slapped in the European Cup final by them as a player too

tbf, it should've been United playing them that night. Law and Crerand both had legitimate goals disallowed.
He was very mouthy before it as were a lot of the players. Milan were too old. Didn't play the quality of football that Barca did and so on. I wish they had been as insulting about us instead of calling Carrick a Rolls Royce etc

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Camel

Quote:
and arseholes, i know which your post relates to better

as for the original thread q has to be the dutchie, nqat

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:22 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He was very mouthy before it as were a lot of the players. Milan were too old. Didn't play the quality of football that Barca did and so on.
I think he described it as a 'battle for the soul of football' in the build up Had a point tbf. The 1994 final has left an impression that the Milan team of that era was a relentless attacking machine, but that simply wasn't the case. The Sacchi style had all but disappeared by then and they were a far more conservative, typically Italian side. From memory, they the won the Scudetto that season scoring only 36 goals in 34 games :shakehead:

ric - The first leg in Italy was bent as £#%&!.
Closed Thread