United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Lazarus

Default Arsenal - are they actually evolving into a better side without Henry?

Just a thought that is starting to germinate in my head these days.

Whilst I don't doubt his supreme talent and his contribution to Arsenal's recent history...I'm starting to see him more and more as the apex of a past side that boasted Vieira,Pires,ljungberg in their prime.

Increasingly he looks to me to inhibit some of this younger Arsenal side and that they struggle to assert themselves within in the immense shadow he casts both on and off the pitch.

You think..or am I way off the mark?

Unread 15-02-2007, 02:56 PM
dodger

Any group of people, in any walk of life, are better off without people like Henry. nft

Unread 15-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Good point.

They train with him all the time though, so you could say it's his inspiration that gives them the confidence to play.

Similar thing to Cantona at United maybe. Carried us in 96, and held us back in 97. If keane hadn't done his knee we'd have won the lot in 98. We were easily the best team in the first half of that season.

Unread 15-02-2007, 02:58 PM
burnallbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Any group of people, in any walk of life, are better off without people like Henry. nft
so who is the bird in your avatar?

Unread 15-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnallbooks
so who is the bird in your avatar?
pm him that question.

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:00 PM
burnallbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
pm him that question.
why?

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Skag Trendy

What a load of shite.

Henry is an amazing player and Arsenal are a poorer team without him.

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Good point.

They train with him all the time though, so you could say it's his inspiration that gives them the confidence to play.

Similar thing to Cantona at United maybe. Carried us in 96, and held us back in 97. If keane hadn't done his knee we'd have won the lot in 98. We were easily the best team in the first half of that season.
Were we not in the first half of 94/95?

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
What a load of shite.

Henry is an amazing player and Arsenal are a poorer team without him.
Ok,cheers for clearing that up.

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Ok,cheers for clearing that up.

Thats ok,next time read the facts before posting such shite.

Glad i could be of service to you.

Gypsum Fantastic

Funny, I was having this exact same conversation with a friend last night.

S/Side.Red

I don't think they're a better side when he doesn't play, but I think they've made the step from being somewhat of a one-man team into a side more than capable of covering for his absence. He's not nearly as crucial as he used to be.

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Were we not in the first half of 94/95?
As it goes, no I don't think we were. What do you think?

Not sure what you're getting at either actually

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Tropical

Default Yes.

Quote:
Arsenal - are they actually evolving into a better side without Henry?
And I expect Wenger had already planned for this, given that Henry was expected to leave last summer.

The only team whose all-round play has, at its best, been anywhere near as good as ours at its best this season. And they played some very good stuff when Henry was out earlier on.

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Torquemada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
Thats ok,next time read the facts before posting such shite.

Glad i could be of service to you.
It was funny to see other players telling him to shut the £#%&! up when he was baiting Kirkland on Sunday after the goal. In my opinion he's becoming a bit of a showpony, with a huge slapped-arse issue. If they win nothing again this year I expect he'll be off. He should have gone to Barca or Real last season if he'd had any sense about him. I doubt they'd pay so much for him now though.

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Argentina

Quote:
As it goes, no I don't think we were. What do you think?

Not sure what you're getting at either actually
Neither do I

Seriously though I do think we were. Hammered Blackburn 4-2 at their place, whooped ciddeh 5-0, playing awesome stuff.
Both of the first 9 years of the Premier League when United didnt win the league, a major player was missing. Cantona 95, Keane 98 and then again with Ferdinand in 04, [SIZE="1"]but I'd hate to call him a major player

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:11 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Good point.

I'd say Simialar to United's situation with RVN, but of course Henry's maybe a little more mobile than Horseface.

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Neither do I

Seriously though I do think we were. Hammered Blackburn 4-2 at their place, whooped ciddeh 5-0, playing awesome stuff.
Both of the first 9 years of the Premier League when United didnt win the league, a major player was missing. Cantona 95, Keane 98 and then again with Ferdinand in 04, [SIZE="1"]but I'd hate to call him a major player
The 4-2 at Blackburn was a bit dodgy really. Remember le Saux stamping on Keane's head in that game think it was as well the @#%&!.

Needed fresh blood that season and got - David May.

Ince was immense - against Goteburg! Gillespie v newcastle. Giggs shaking off Harford for Eric's brilliant header v Wimbledon. The 5-0 derby. Beat the scousers as well. can't remember much else right now. Thought we were pretty average to be fair. Better than the rest maybe, but still average.

Bit harsh on Ince that btw he was quality in a lot of the games!

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:20 PM
puressence

ive been thinking this aswell .. that adebayour is gonna be some £#%&!ing player

Unread 15-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Lazarus

Well like I said..it's an idea. You should read what I said about Henry..his talent is not being debated.

However,there is no doubt that he is the big swinging dick at the Emirates these days and expects,demands even,the ball on a silver platter and all attacking roads lead to him.

These days,to me,his overall team play has diminished slightly and he is that tiny bit less selfless.

Yesterday I thought Arsenal looked the epitome of an unpredictable,fluid,interchanging and pacy attack.
Closed Thread