United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-02-2018, 06:51 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Enjoyed that video. A couple of goof headers in there too
Great video, Rooney was instrumental in his early months....

Good lad is J-Lingz

Unread 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM
NegativeNorris

He's a fairly average player at best, but his pace and movement do cause problems. He puts a shift in, and he loves the club. Can't really ask for more than that tbh.

Unread 10-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
There is no cast iron cut off point, it’s more of a feeling. I guess in a round about way it’s when you expect good things rather than are surprised by them.

Every academy product who’s been given a run in the team over the years has had good runs of form here or there. Welbeck had a few, Gibson had one, Richardson and so on. None of those ended up being good enough, and based on the larger part of his United career so far, I expect Lingard to go the same way. That said, I hope I’m wrong. I care more about United’s fortunes than I do about being right, but this run of form needs to add a bit of longevity to it before I change my mind.

Agreed. It’s not just us either, it’s across the whole league. We live in two week snapshots.
All fair enough.

I think I'm further down the line than you, but if his form dips between now and the end of the season then it will be nothing more than a Winter purple patch.

He's always scored worldies, hes always got himself in to good areas, so that's no gauge.... but he's improving his general play. He's better centrally, he's go full-on Anderson with his 'running with the ball'. He's a threat now. More than I thought he would be.

Like you, more than happy to be wrong if he can keep it up. If he's still doing this at the same time next year then I think we'll be looking at a genuine development of a player who is crucial for club and country.

Unread 10-02-2018, 12:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Needs to do it across a season. Same for Martial, Shaw etc. Football is so manic depressive these days, someone only has to play well for a fortnight and people switch them from being not good enough to having a great season.

Lingard needs to keep this going and then aim to get 15-20 goals next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
He's on 12 for the season now and made 5 assists

He'll get 15 + this season and if he gets the games will do again next season of this i;m pretty sure

The thread asked the question 'is he evolving' of which the answer is yes
Very good player, I like him a lot, but he's never going to be a 20 goal a season man, surely? How many times did Scholes hit 20 goals? If he can maintain what he's offered this season whilst adding experience he'll be a valuable member of the squad, but much as I like him, we will need better players in the future..

Unread 10-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Jethro

He'll never be accepted by a large proportion of our fanbase, sad.

Unread 10-02-2018, 12:54 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
If he gets 20 goals a season for 3 seasons in a row he might be

Unread 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Probably not. Mainly because he's not actually that good

Sorry, who said Richardson? He was another one who is a £#%&!ing stain on MUFC. Shite

Unread 10-02-2018, 01:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
If he gets 20 goals a season for 3 seasons in a row he might be
He’s having a better season for us than Mata has ever had, yet everyone worships Mata as a great player and Lingard is shit

Unread 10-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He’s having a better season for us than Mata has ever had, yet everyone worships Mata as a great player and Lingard is shit
I don't know anyone who worships Juan Mata.

You don't need to exaggerate to make the point.

What's Jesse got for the season? 12?

12 for a midfielder who doesn't play every game is already excellent..

Unread 10-02-2018, 02:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I don't know anyone who worships Juan Mata.

You don't need to exaggerate to make the point.

What's Jesse got for the season? 12?

12 for a midfielder who doesn't play every game is already excellent..
Honestly, I'm not.

Unread 10-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not.
"Everyone worships Mata as a great player"

Unread 10-02-2018, 02:51 PM
believe

Quote:
Literally no one worships Mata. You’ve created this fantasy to make your worship of much worse players seem more relevant. Lingard is a mediocre player at best, as was Welbeck and whoever else came through the academy that you “worship”

Unread 10-02-2018, 11:39 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Sorry, who said Richardson? He was another one who is a £#%&!ing stain on MUFC. Shite
Lingard has scored more this season than Richardson did in five but whatever

Unread 11-02-2018, 12:13 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeNorris
He's a fairly average player at best, but his pace and movement do cause problems. He puts a shift in, and he loves the club. Can't really ask for more than that tbh.
I agree, he's a reasonable player but nothing more.

Unread 11-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Wellinever

Lingard's performances are evolving, when he's in the right role, down the centre, playing off the striker. His 'perpetual' running' is now less about making a nuisance of himself and has become more thoughtful and enterprising.

He still needs to improve his distribution and his first touch, but he is improving, you can see that, which is more than be said for some others whose progress has ground to a halt!

Unread 11-02-2018, 11:35 AM
sa7

He still spends a lot of time floating about without effect.

However, when he gets the ball 30-40 yards from goal and runs at the opposing centre halves he has the ability to create havoc.

In a game where the other side a maintaining a deep lying, rigid back line someone like that can be the spark needed to unsettle them.

Unread 11-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
He still spends a lot of time floating about without effect.

However, when he gets the ball 30-40 yards from goal and runs at the opposing centre halves he has the ability to create havoc.

In a game where the other side a maintaining a deep lying, rigid back line someone like that can be the spark needed to unsettle them.

That’s what he does

Unread 11-02-2018, 12:41 PM
hopkins

titanic me

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...er-united.aspx
Closed Thread