United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Default So then, these Inter games...

Should tell us exactly where this team's at this season and perhaps give us an insight into wether we might have a shot at dominating Europe for a few years. Play with confidence and dispatch them (fairly) comfortably and I think it will really set us up.

With any luck everyone will be pretty much fit (though unlikely that some will be match fit) - be interesting to see what team everyone would put out if everyone was fit and the first leg was next week. Think I'd have to go with the team from Tuesday but swap JOS with PE and WR for CT.

By the way - far too many scouse threads on here lately, 6 or 7 at one point last night.

Pack it in.

Unread 29-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Ginners

tbh inter arent playing that well, the real test will come if/when we face barca.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:17 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

It's a proper European Cup tie. Champions of England vs Champions of Italy. I can't wait.

I think quite a few on here are taking Inter far too lightly. Mourinho will have been planning for these two games since the draw was made. They're a very good side and it'll be extremely tough. Don't forget that their manager has an excellent record against us. Whoever goes through, I doubt it will be done comfortably.

Our defence has been brilliant in recent months and if we carry that on into these two games it will probably be the difference and see us through. Unless Zlatan produces a moment of individual brilliance, I can't see them opening us up when we defend as we have recently. Our attack seems to be getting it's act together too. West Brom are shite, but the main positive of the game was that we weren't wasting as many chances. Rooney & Roonie seem to understand Berba alot better now too. Hopefully, Rooney will be in similar form to before his injury when he comes back. And Tevez is finding form at the right time.

Also, it's a game made for Ryan Giggs. His play in the middle has been awesome recently. How I'd love to see him turn it on against the Italians (yet again!)

Will be two very close games.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:18 PM
marlo

im fearing the worst tbh.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:23 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
It's a proper European Cup tie. Champions of England vs Champions of Italy. I can't wait.

I think quite a few on here are taking Inter far too lightly.
Mourinho will have been planning for these two games since the draw was made. They're a very good side and it'll be extremely tough. Don't forget that their manager has an excellent record against us. Whoever goes through, I doubt it will be done comfortably.

Our defence has been brilliant in recent months and if we carry that on into these two games it will probably be the difference and see us through. Unless Zlatan produces a moment of individual brilliance, I can't see them opening us up when we defend as we have recently. Our attack seems to be getting it's act together too. West Brom are shite, but the main positive of the game was that we weren't wasting as many chances. Rooney & Roonie seem to understand Berba alot better now too. Hopefully, Rooney will be in similar form to before his injury when he comes back. And Tevez is finding form at the right time.

Also, it's a game made for Ryan Giggs. His play in the middle has been awesome recently. How I'd love to see him turn it on against the Italians (yet again!)

Will be two very close games.
I'm not taking them lightly but we're so much better than them.But, I agree with what you're saying, we can't take the game as a given result/progression for us.

And as much as I cant do with Zlatan, he is dangerous.Glad Rio's back for this one.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
You think Inter might lose?

red red robbo

Italian bloke at work is an Inter fan and he is by no means confident either

Sounds like a proper european tie for a change, one that could easily go either way.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
Fearing Ibracadabra?

Did you hear his little dig at Kaka? They asked Zlatan whether he'd ever join Manchester City, he said he'd have to check with Jesus first

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:30 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Fearing Ibracadabra?

Did you hear his little dig at Kaka? They asked Zlatan whether he'd ever join Manchester City, he said he'd have to check with Jesus first
brilliant. i love the man.

would tear me apart of he takes apart our defence like i know he can

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:31 PM
wiganste

I think Italian football has been pretty poor recently but the games v Inter will be tough.

They are the best of a bad bunch really. I'm confident we'll win but it won't be easy.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Ether

You just know they're going to turn up for this one after being absolutely dire against the scouse last year. We'll still beat them though. We'll be too much for their defence to handle.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:35 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'm not taking them lightly but we're so much better than them.But, I agree with what you're saying, we can't take the game as a given result/progression for us.

And as much as I cant do with Zlatan, he is dangerous.Glad Rio's back for this one.
We are better - but the difference is not that great. There's still very little between the top European sides and over only two legs, I think it could easily go either way.

Agree about Rio - like I say, I think the defence will be crucial to us going through. Could do with an away goal too - I'd hate to go back to OT at 0-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Fearing Ibracadabra?

That is class

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I think Italian football has been pretty poor recently but the games v Inter will be tough.

They are the best of a bad bunch really. I'm confident we'll win but it won't be easy.
Yeah, I think given the respective form of the two sides at this moment we should be very confident. Watcher is pretty much spot on when he says it's largely going to come down to Zlatan. They do seem hugely reliant on him, both for inspiration and to score goals. In attacking terms, they're not that far off being a one-man team, so if Rio and Vidic are fit you have to feel pretty good about our chances of restricting their opportunities.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:41 PM
rubbernecker

I've a feeling that they may turn out fairly sterile affairs on the pitch with Morinho using all his negative defensive nous

Probably aiming for a 0-0 at theirs,nick a score draw at ours and go through on
away goals

Of course an early away goal will blow this out of the water.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:43 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
I've a feeling that they may turn out fairly sterile affairs on the pitch with Morinho using all his negative defensive nous

Probably aiming for a 0-0 at theirs,nick a score draw at ours and go through on
away goals

Of course an early away goal will blow this out of the water.
Yep, that what we have to watch out for because if Inter do decide they'll settle for a goal-less draw, I fear we will be happy with that too.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Mr_Ed

I think we have possibly more players who are capable of getting a goal than them... if we play to our strengths then I think we should be ok.

It will be a hard game but I don't think they're strong enough. I hope I'm right.

Unread 29-01-2009, 01:52 PM
The Watcher

For what it's worth, I think our tactics at the San Siro will be very similar to what we saw in Rome and the Camp Nou last season. We'll defend deep, with a hard working midfield in front of the back four. We'll deny them space in behind, then look to get the ball to Berbatov when in possession while Evra, Rooney and Ronaldo break quickly.

Won't be great to watch but hopefully it'll work. However, we simply cannot waste the chances we make, as we won't get many.

Unread 29-01-2009, 02:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
For what it's worth, I think our tactics at the San Siro will be very similar to what we saw in Rome and the Camp Nou last season. We'll defend deep, with a hard working midfield in front of the back four. We'll deny them space in behind, then look to get the ball to Berbatov when in possession while Evra, Rooney and Ronaldo break quickly.

Won't be great to watch but hopefully it'll work. However, we simply cannot waste the chances we make, as we won't get many.
I can see them really struggling to break us down if we do that. When Mourinho arrived he identified lack of width and pace in wide areas as a problem, which is why he spent most of his budget on Quaresma and Mancini. The Portuguese has been a disaster and I don't think Mancini has had a huge impact either. It's possible neither will start at the San Siro, which would leave them desperately short of genuine pace, while Evra's presence could make Mourinho wary about allowing Maicon too much freedom to get forward and provide much-needed width on the right. Perhaps he'll focus more on using Maxwell as the main wide outlet on the other side against Neville/Brown. Either way, their options look a bit limited and I can see them having real difficulty if we're as organised and disciplined as we were at the Olimpico/Camp Nou.

Unread 29-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Should tell us exactly where this team's at this season and perhaps give us an insight into wether we might have a shot at dominating Europe for a few years. Play with confidence and dispatch them (fairly) comfortably and I think it will really set us up.

With any luck everyone will be pretty much fit (though unlikely that some will be match fit) - be interesting to see what team everyone would put out if everyone was fit and the first leg was next week. Think I'd have to go with the team from Tuesday but swap JOS with PE and WR for CT.
................................VDs

Brown.......Rio.......Evans.....Evra

Ronaldo....Carrick...Fletcher...Park

...........Rooney....Berbatov

The only possible change I can envisage is Rooney in place of Park and another central midfielder added. Which on form, you'd have to pick Giggs.

Unread 29-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
................................VDs

Brown.......Rio.......Evans.....Evra

Ronaldo....Carrick...Fletcher...Park

...........Rooney....Berbatov

The only possible change I can envisage is Rooney in place of Park and another central midfielder added. Which on form, you'd have to pick Giggs.
There is never any need to play Park AND Fletcher in a starting 11

Front 6 of

------Carrick---Fletcher------

-----------Giggs-------------

Ronaldo---Berbatov---Rooney
Closed Thread