Talking I hope this kid is gonna be mega for United

Ravel.

He'd have to be up there with one of the best first names in United's history

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:02 AM
wonky no

how old is he?

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:10 AM
borsuk

report on him and others after the fa youth cup game against chelsea the other month

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Will these United and Chelsea kids ever make it to the big stage?
By IVAN SPECK

A tantalising glimpse into the future of Manchester United against Chelsea fixtures or simply a flight of fancy for two groups of teenagers?

While Arsenal have proved this season that a Big Four club can not only produce young players, but also throw them into first-team action without hesitation, the road to greatness at United and Chelsea is more often paved with loan spells in the Championship and eventual transfers away from theatres of dreams.

How many of the teenagers on show in the third round of the FA Youth Cup at Old Trafford on Thursday night will graduate to a Barclays Premier League meeting between the sides is anybody's guess. It would be advisable to buy low, however - opportunity rather than quality being the deciding factor.

Ignore the reality check for a moment and remember the names of Ravel Morrison and Gael Kakuta. Morrison is a 15-year-old schoolboy from Manchester, whose poise and pace are staggering for one so young.

He eased United into an early lead and then toyed with the Chelsea defence before setting up Matthew James. It was a shame for both Morrison and his team that he then snatched at the rebound after James' shot was blocked on the line.

Eye for goal: impressive United youngster Ravel Morrison tries to round Niclas Heimann

Kakuta, a 17-year-old French playmaker, brought Chelsea level and gave them the attacking platform from which they went on to secure a 3-2 victory. His balance is extraordinary and such was the danger he presented that United threw two players around him at every opportunity.

Like seven others in Chelsea's starting line-up last night, Kakuta cost a fee. Two of the English players, left back Ben Gordon and midfielder Jacob Mellis, fetched around £400,000 each for Leeds and Sheffield United respectively.

The trouble is, that figure barely makes a dent in Roman Abramovich's billions and the Chelsea owner is not in the habit of waiting for trophies. Why blood a youngster when a gift-wrapped international can be purchased with a swish of a pen?

The last Chelsea youth team product to fully establish himself in the first team was John Terry, who made his debut 10 years ago. Players such as Carlton Cole and Robert Huth have figured briefly but had to move to West Ham and Middlesbrough respectively to find a regular game.

Meanwhile, the vaunted Scott Sinclair, bought from Bristol Rovers and now 19, has starred in loan spells at Plymouth, QPR, Charlton and Crystal Palace, but appears no closer to Luiz Felipe Scolari's first team for all that.

Youth team manager Paul Clement acknowledged the dilemma before the match. He said: 'Hopefully, some of the boys on show will get the opportunity to play at Old Trafford again, ideally at senior level, but they have to understand that for some of them it may be the biggest moment of their career. That's the way it is, unfortunately.'

While Chelsea adopt the technological approach instilled at the club by Jose Mourinho, with their youngsters being afforded the same level of medical, dietary and analytical care as the first team squad, United immerse their youngsters in the virtues of tradition.

Their preparations for the game included moving temporarily from the Carrington training ground back to the old base at The Cliff where photos of United's Youth Cup winning sides of the past - including the youthful Busby Babes, plus Ryan Giggs and David Beckham - adorn the corridors.

'We don't ram the club's Youth Cup history down their throats, but it's constantly there,' said United youth team manager Paul McGuinness. 'We've won the trophy more times than anyone else (nine) and it's important that they know they're following in those footsteps.'

United also believe that a hardcore of local youngsters is essential for protecting the club's values. Nine of the 16 players in last night's squad were born within 35 miles of Old Trafford.

Chelsea, by contrast, fielded two Italians, a Dutchman, a German and Kakuta the Frenchman. German goalkeeper Niclas Heimann pulled off a spectacular double save in the second half while Italian Fabio Borini was one of their other scorers. Oh, and Lewisham's finest, a bull of a striker called Frank Nouble, also helped himself to a goal.

The one certainty is that given the head starts that life in the academies of Manchester United and Chelsea give them, most of these players should forge successful careers. In which team's colours is altogether trickier to predict.

Danny Welbeck, the one player on the pitch who has made an impact at first-team level this season, scored a late consolation goal for United.

Youth team products in the Barclays Premier League

Man Utd - Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher,
Danny Welbeck, Darren Gibson, John O’Shea, Wes Brown.

Chelsea - John Terry (er, that's it)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...big-stage.html

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:10 AM
bruntyboy

It's a shoe-in.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
how old is he?
He's 15 i think.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruntyboy
It's a shoe-in.
You seen much of him? He looked good in the youth cup and the odd time i've briefly seen him for the under 18s.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Youth team products in the Premier League:

Man Utd - Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher,
Danny Welbeck, Darren Gibson, John O’Shea, Wes Brown.
+ Nicky Butt, Phil Neville. Beckham still playing at top level if not premier league.

Unread 10-01-2009, 01:35 AM
bruntyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
You seen much of him? He looked good in the youth cup and the odd time i've briefly seen him for the under 18s.
Sorry a very poor joke - Ravel and shoe. I'll get my coat.

Unread 10-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
+ Nicky Butt, Phil Neville. Beckham still playing at top level if not premier league.
You forgot Robbie Savage. It's piss poor if you ask me tbh. You're counting about 15 years there and half of those players have always been mediocre at best. Considering how big United is and how much we spend on our academy, you'd expect better. West Ham for example have done better and that was before the ridiculous rule that's so unfair on Sunderland came in.

Unread 10-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruntyboy
Sorry a very poor joke - Ravel and shoe. I'll get my coat.
It's better than mine is about to be, don't worry about it.

This ravel, I hope we didn't get the one with the coffee centre.

Unread 10-01-2009, 02:30 AM
shadowplay

Big hopes for the lad.

Watching him quite a bit lately, and he definitely has a number of outstanding attributes that mark him out as a real, real player. Local lad, too, isn't he?

At 15, his level of performance is remarkable.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
koppas

He wont make it.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
He wont make it.
Thanks

Unread 10-01-2009, 01:59 PM
koppas

Dont mention it. Any other young players you want me to write off despite never having seen them play?

Unread 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Dont mention it. Any other young players you want me to write off despite never having seen them play?
How is the RAF thing going?

Next stage of my selection isn't until March.

Unread 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
While Arsenal have proved this season that a Big Four club can not only produce young players, but also throw them into first-team action without hesitation then carrying on the tradition of winning £#%&! all
thats how it should have read

Unread 28-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Coracao

Another 2 at the weekend

Quote:

United’s Under-18s snatched a late victory in an entertaining 3-2 win over Everton on Saturday, maintaining the Reds unbeaten start to 2009.

Paul McGuinness' charges comfortably defeated West Brom 4-1 last week, and though this was a more closely-fought contest it was equally impressive.

United led 2-0 before Everton pulled two goals back, and just as the matched appeared headed for a draw, exciting young starlet Ravel Morrison grabbed his second goal of the match to secure all three points, and maintain some pressure on Premier Academy League Group C leaders Manchester City.

Morrison gave United the lead after 17 minutes. Ryan Tunnicliffe’s shot was blocked and Morrison reacted quickest. His initial shot was saved, but he improvised brilliantly to loop his headed rebound over the Everton goalkeeper.

United started the second half by extending the lead. Cameron Stewart’s excellent wing-play saw him penetrate into the Everton box and cross for Nicky Ajose to fire home at the far post.

Everton struck twice and, heading into the final ten minutes of the match, must have thought they had earned a draw. But with just two minutes remaining United launched a late attack. The ball bounced around in the box and Morrison was again sharpest to react, smashing his shot home to ensure victory.

Unread 28-01-2009, 03:01 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
You forgot Robbie Savage.
It's piss poor if you ask me tbh. You're counting about 15 years there and half of those players have always been mediocre at best. Considering how big United is and how much we spend on our academy, you'd expect better. West Ham for example have done better and that was before the ridiculous rule that's so unfair on Sunderland came in.
How many west ham products are there? 4?

How many Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are there?

Unread 28-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Sparky***

I'm very exited to see how he progresses. How old is he?

Unread 28-01-2009, 03:06 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
He wont make it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Thanks

He's already made it anyway, he's got a montage.
Closed Thread