United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-08-2018, 10:43 PM
TheFatGoth

Thumbs up Garth Crooks is back!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45163683

Quote:
I thought that, for a player of his calibre, he had a shocking World Cup for Spain and that his mental capacity to cope with the big occasion was beginning to wane. Not against Leicester City it wasn't. Two world-class saves and a clean sheet nailed the game for Manchester United.

Quote:
At the moment Arsenal look like they are going to struggle to finish in the top six, never mind the top four.
Quote:
Well, Manchester United are full of surprises aren't they? I didn't expect to see them start the season with such flair and expression. I'm convinced Michael Carrick's elevation from player to first-team coach was the reason for that.
Quote:
The two stars meticulously etched in Pogba's haircut (and you know how I hate his haircuts) signify France's World Cup successes and suggest his ego is very much alive and kicking post-Russia.
Quote:
Pogba is no Glenn Hoddle - or Paul Gascoigne, for that matter - but he is a Martin Peters.
Needs sectioning.

Unread 12-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Pop

Unread 12-08-2018, 10:46 PM
AK14

3 United players

Unread 12-08-2018, 10:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Best gig in the world. Basically puts in the players who scored.

Unread 27-08-2018, 10:23 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
It was only a matter of time before Harry Maguire got into my team of the week
Quote:
I feel compelled to include James Milner among my selection because if I don't he will continue to be overlooked for those who are more skilful, excellent finishers or those who simply have a better day.

What you get with Milner is nothing special but you do get a wonderful level of consistency. In fact Milner is almost always a candidate for my team most weeks, such are his performances.

The way the Liverpool captain pounced on Brighton's Yves Bissouma was reminiscent of a cobra and with a bite to match.
Quote:
Eden Hazard: The penalty given by referee Paul Tierney was debatable but there is nothing debatable about the man who took the spot-kick
Quote:
I must say, I saw Mitrovic play at the Cottage in the opening game of the season against Crystal Palace and I wouldn't have paid £22 for him never mind £22m.
Quote:
I have been watching the fly-on-the-wall documentary about Manchester City's title-winning season and, I must say, it's been absolutely riveting.

I spent a good deal of my early life in football dressing rooms and they are not for the faint-hearted. In fact the day I retired I went to great lengths not to go anywhere near another one for a very simple reason - if you are not a member or part of the team you have no business being in the room at all.

To be given an opportunity to see what goes on in a modern-day dressing room, its facilities, equipment, the science, not to mention the methods adopted for a modern generation of players, is as fascinating to me as it gets.

So I am immensely grateful (and so should the viewing public be) to get a glimpse of what happens during the most intense moments, not just in a Premier League dressing room but the dressing room of the champions. These glimpses might be commonplace in in the USA but they are not to be taken for granted here.

I remember seeing a similar documentary some years ago when my dear friend and contemporary Peter Reid, during his successful managerial spell at Sunderland, gave a camera crew total access.

I remember thinking at the time, has Reidy gone mad? It's one thing having your mistakes choreographed in front of a football crowd but it's something entirely different when those mistakes are highlighted in living colour in front of a watching nation. It takes a very special individual with a lot of courage and self-belief to do that.

My admiration for Peter grew after his moment in the spotlight and the same is true of City boss Pep Guardiola. That Jose Mourinho has seen fit to be so dismissive of the documentary is hardly surprising. The programme was showing all who wanted to watch just how badly Mourinho and Manchester United had just had their backsides kicked.

Manchester City beat their neighbours and fiercest rivals by a staggering 19 points, so to call the documentary 'classless' was in itself misjudged and ill-timed, and made Mourinho look tawdry.

The reality is Guardiola has taken football to another level and Mourinho is desperately struggling to come to terms with that fact.

Unread 27-08-2018, 11:09 AM
waynes ear's

Hope the frog faced @#%&! drops dead. @#%&!

Unread 27-08-2018, 11:32 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

Unread 27-08-2018, 11:41 AM
sa7

Quote:
In fact the day I retired I went to great lengths not to go anywhere near another one for a very simple reason - if you are not a member or part of the team you have no business being in the room at all.
Quote:
So I am immensely grateful (and so should the viewing public be) to get a glimpse of what happens during the most intense moments, not just in a Premier League dressing room but the dressing room of the champions
Some interesting mental gymnastics there.

Stupid fat @#%&!.

Unread 27-08-2018, 03:25 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Bit harsh on Got........ah forget it

Unread 03-09-2018, 01:36 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Joe Gomez: If Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andrew Robertson were the 'finds' of last season then I would argue that Liverpool's Joe Gomez must be the 'find' of this season. The player's calmness in defence is matched only by his simplicity on the ball. The central defender refuses to complicate the game and that is what I find so adorable about his performances.

Three games played and no goals conceded? I thought I was hearing things, but that was the reality going into the game against Leicester City. Gomez has played in all those games But it was his performance against Leicester that was outstanding. This player is a must for England, and I am really sorry to have to say this and put so much pressure on the lad, but he is the nearest thing I have seen to Bobby Moore for years.

Unread 03-09-2018, 01:53 PM
waynes ear's

£#%&!ing hell

Unread 03-09-2018, 02:41 PM
flixton

Bobby Moore was at his peak 1966-1970 and was pretty shit by 1972/3.

Crooks was born and lived in Stoke in 1960 so was 6 at the time of the WC 66 and 10 by 1970.

In other words he was too young to have appreciated how good or not Moore was and almost certainly never saw him play live. Televised football was rare in those days too so he can have barely seen him on MotD or the Big Match.

Typical Crooks bullshit about knowing anything about Moore.

Unread 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Whip Hubley

Big fan of the flixter tbh, excellent koppassing skills

Unread 03-09-2018, 04:26 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
what a dick he is. Just the 7 paragraphs about Mourinho at the end this week. No mention of Pogba's hair this time

Unread 03-09-2018, 05:53 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Bobby Moore was at his peak 1966-1970 and was pretty shit by 1972/3.

Crooks was born and lived in Stoke in 1960 so was 6 at the time of the WC 66 and 10 by 1970.

In other words he was too young to have appreciated how good or not Moore was and almost certainly never saw him play live. Televised football was rare in those days too so he can have barely seen him on MotD or the Big Match.

My old fella reckoned that if Big Duncan had lived, Moore wouldn't have got near the England team.

Unread 03-09-2018, 05:55 PM
Clownbones

'Refuses to complicate the game'

Like he's being asked to and won't.

Unread 03-09-2018, 06:24 PM
sa7

Quote:
The central defender refuses to complicate the game and that is what I find so adorable about his performances.
Adorable?

Unread 03-09-2018, 06:34 PM
red in cumbria

Jesus Christ, he is thick

Unread 16-09-2018, 10:48 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
With goalkeepers under siege these days it amazes me how they even get to the ball. It's like facing the Ant Hill Mob every time a corner is taken.
Quote:
Chris Smalling, with his new 'natty dread' hair style, was outstanding against Watford.

The new look oozes swagger and if his goal was anything to go by, the defender's hairstyle may have something to do with it. Amazing what a new look can do.
Quote:
The tackle by Joe Gomez on Lucas Moura in the second half of Liverpool's win at Tottenham would have stopped a mail train.

I said two weeks ago, after Liverpool's impressive victory at Leicester, that this kid was the best defender I've seen in years. In fact I said something far more profound than that but I'm not going to repeat it for fear of jinxing the lad.

(What I will say is Gomez is a future England captain if ever I saw one.
Quote:
Milner is looking like my early candidate for Footballer of the Year. I strongly believe that accolade belongs to a member of the team that wins the title. So you can see where I'm going with this folks.
Quote:
Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah took off like stealth bombers leaving an airbase.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45543022

Unread 17-09-2018, 12:41 AM
Cream

He's outGoldbridging Goldbridge.

Finger on the pulse.
Closed Thread