United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Where will United finish this season?
Champions (for those on drugs) 5 6.02%
2nd 9 10.84%
3rd 34 40.96%
4th 26 31.33%
5th 4 4.82%
6th 4 4.82%
7th 0 0%
8th 0 0%
9th 0 0%
10th 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:03 PM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
No.
Think you deserve some sage recognition - remember you getting buckets of shit for ages for suggesting we wouldn't break into the top 4 and you were absolutely right.

Repped. Must spread.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

£#%&! redface the negative naysaying @#%&!.

nobody knew we weren't going to start scoring goals. nobody.

stockholm here we come.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

stockholm here we come.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:25 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

stockholm here we come.
I see you didn't vote.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:27 PM
Bunker Buster

3rd

3 off.

Still hate negative @#%&!s in oct / Nov.

You know your place.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:28 PM
TheFatGoth

Still think spurs could pip Chelsea

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:29 PM
MOE1948

You that poll says a lot about the coming of the great one.

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:31 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
3rd

3 off.

Still hate negative c***s in oct / Nov.

You know your place.
Why isn't 3rd negative?

Unread 16-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I see you didn't vote.
still couldn't call it at that stage. though we'd just drawn the 1st in a run of easy games we needed to win.

next game up we had about 10 shots saved by the hull keeper and drew 0-0.

Unread 17-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
still couldn't call it at that stage. though we'd just drawn the 1st in a run of easy games we needed to win.

next game up we had about 10 shots saved by the hull keeper and drew 0-0.
Exactly. Poor finishing. The very thing that had blighted our season and ensured we were chasing in the first place

Some people anticipated, CRAZILY, that the shortcomings of the team might have a direct influence on our league position.

The negative bastards

Unread 17-05-2017, 12:08 AM
dunk

Was convinced we'd do just enough to sneak 4th. The last 2 months have been bitterly disappointing

Unread 17-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Was convinced we'd do just enough to sneak 4th. The last 2 months have been bitterly disappointing
We were closer and given more chances than I expected. But we were always always chasing.

Unread 17-05-2017, 12:39 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
We were closer and given more chances than I expected. But we were always always chasing.
As i have said before, i knew it wasn't going to happen when we had about 7 wins on the trot and didn't budge one place up the table.

Usually on a run like that you'd expect to get well into the top 3. Inevitably we were never going to keep that run going very long and then we just lost all momentum after January.

Unread 17-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Exactly. Poor finishing. The very thing that had blighted our season and ensured we were chasing in the first place

Some people anticipated, CRAZILY, that the shortcomings of the team might have a direct influence on our league position.

The negative bastards
indeed.

we'd just come off a run of 8 straight wins scoring 18 goals, and people were still giving it all the anti-jose negative bullshit.

then we drew at home to liverpool and out they trotted with the 'i told you so' shite.

there was every reason to expect we could struggle for rhythm through february because of the cup schedule, and so it proved with the decisive stumble at home to bournemouth in early march - the only league game in a run of 8 matches, and even that one blighted by a late penalty miss.

we then won 4 in 6 league games, all in some style, including dismantling the leaders.

Unread 17-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
indeed.

we'd just come off a run of 8 straight wins scoring 18 goals, and people were still giving it all the anti-jose negative bullshit.

then we drew at home to liverpool and out they trotted with the 'i told you so' shite.

there was every reason to expect we could struggle for rhythm through february because of the cup schedule, and so it proved with the decisive stumble at home to bournemouth in early march - the only league game in a run of 8 matches, and even that one blighted by a late penalty miss.

we then won 4 in 6 league games, all in some style, including dismantling the leaders.

You seem to be repeating results I'm fully aware of, all of which took place while we were never in the top four.

I'm not anti-jose. I wanted him and believe he's the right man. I think we're heading in the right direction. But I also thought the poor start to the season and the general shortcomings of the side would cost us a top four place. And they did. To point that out isn't negative and to suggest that anyone who honestly and reasonably thinks we will just miss out for top four is 'anti mourinho' or 'negative' is childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
As i have said before, i knew it wasn't going to happen when we had about 7 wins on the trot and didn't budge one place up the table.

Usually on a run like that you'd expect to get well into the top 3. Inevitably we were never going to keep that run going very long and then we just lost all momentum after January.
Yep. It was a great run, but it didn't yield what it needed to. We got closer, but never got the psychological edge or confidence of getting in.

And quite simple, runs end. People don't seem to appreciate fluctuations in form and shout you down if you suggest a run might not be sustained. Look at spurs. Seven wins in a run and suddenly everyone thinks they might beat Chelsea, failing to acknowledge that PERFECT form is all that is keeping them in touch. The margin for error is smaller. The longer the run goes, the more likely it is to end. Once it does, at West ham, it was mathematically over seven days later.

Our situation had more wriggle room than spurs', but we were always likely to suffer once the EL returned and there were reasons we were sixth in the first place.....it's the same reasons we stayed sixth and will finish sixth.

You can point to 'inspired' keepers saving a sequence of shots hit straight at them and bent refs (Rojo two-footed, anyone?....) all day long, but the old adage that the table doesn't lie rarely lets you down.

We're sixth because, this season, we've been the sixth best team in country.

Unread 17-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
You seem to be repeating results I'm fully aware of, all of which took place while we were never in the top four.

I'm not anti-jose. I wanted him and believe he's the right man. I think we're heading in the right direction. But I also thought the poor start to the season and the general shortcomings of the side would cost us a top four place. And they did. To point that out isn't negative and to suggest that anyone who honestly and reasonably thinks we will just miss out for top four is 'anti mourinho' or 'negative' is childish.

longer the run goes, the more likely it is to end. Once it does, at West ham, it was mathematically over seven days later.

Our situation had more wriggle room than spurs', but we were always likely to suffer once the EL returned and there were reasons we were sixth in the first place.....it's the same reasons we stayed sixth and will finish sixth.

We're sixth because, this season, we've been the sixth best team in country.
i wasn't talking about you - didn't you flounce for about 3 months ...

we are not the 6th best team. we have lost out (due to other commitments) in a private battle for 3rd place between 4 teams all pretty much on the same level. our away from* is better than theirs, but we don't score enough goals at home to get the points our football often deserves.

city will end up 3rd. we've played 6 halves of football against them this season and only conceded anything in the first of them - even then the opener was a long punt up the pitch.

[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]*not including the last 2 aways

Unread 17-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
i wasn't talking about you - didn't you flounce for about 3 months ...

we are not the 6th best team. we have lost out (due to other commitments) in a private battle for 3rd place between 4 teams all pretty much on the same level. our away from* is better than theirs, but we don't score enough goals at home to get the points our football often deserves.

city will end up 3rd. we've played 6 halves of football against them this season and only conceded anything in the first of them - even then the opener was a long punt up the pitch.

[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]*not including the last 2 aways

Weren't you? You called me negative earlier.

Our away form is better (i like how youve excluded two defeats ). Yes. And our home form is worse. Which is why we're sixth.

Not sure why you're referencing how we've directly done against our rivals. I'm not talking about head to head. I'm talking overall. And out head to head is shit anyway. You're using City, who took four points off us, as an example of them not being better than us? They only scored in one half? Yes. And so did we. An odd argument.

We can speculate that we might have finished higher without the Europa, but a big reason we've advanced in the Europa is because we've prioritised it is because of a botched league campaign. I think that would have more weight if we actually looked any good when we weren't talking it as seriously.

We could have scored more. We didn't. Every fan thinks their team should be doing more. I'm sure Liverpool fans will lament Milner's penalty miss against Southampton if they don't get top four. Or throwing away a 3-1 lead at Bournemouth. Or coutinho not getting a penalty against palace.

Shoulda woulda coulda.

We were sixth when won 7 in a row. We were sixth during a sequence of draws. We were sixth going into Sunday's game. We're sixth now and we'll be sixth in a week.

Spot the pattern, despite varying fortunes?

You're right, we were in a battle for 3rd/4th with a couple of other teams on a similar level......and we lost it. The other teams stepped up to some degree to get there. That's why we're the sixth best team in the league this season.

Didn't you flounce for waaaay longer?

Unread 19-05-2017, 02:04 PM
guerreiro

Sage results are in. Less than 5% of the forum know their football.

Unread 19-05-2017, 02:08 PM
hopkins

Cream, Grandadanne, Sandman, silv, and Zorg are on drugs

Unread 19-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
Cream, Grandadanne, Sandman, silv, and Zorg are on drugs
Closed Thread