United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-10-2019, 10:22 PM
AK14

Don’t think I’ve ever been so confident that we’d win a game as much as I was in 09 tbh

Genuinely thought we had the best team that had ever played the game and didn’t they have a cb crisis at the time and ended up playing Toure at the back?

It’s probably why I’m such a pessimist these days.

2011 you just knew we’d have had to have a load of luck (which it seemed we never had, especially in Europe) to even be in with a chance of beating them.

2013 was a kick in the balls too because I felt we had a good outside chance. We were a little pragmatic but still had quality, a top striker and a load of experience.

Unread 10-10-2019, 11:11 PM
red in cumbria

Back when we were good, we would have had more chance against Barca in a two legged affair (as 2008 showed) than a one off final.

Whereas with Real, I suspect it was the opposite - shame we never got the chance to test that in 2002. Still £#%&!ing hurts, that one

Unread 11-10-2019, 12:42 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Don’t think I’ve ever been so confident that we’d win a game as much as I was in 09 tbh

Genuinely thought we had the best team that had ever played the game and didn’t they have a cb crisis at the time and ended up playing Toure at the back?

2011 you just knew we’d have had to have a load of luck (which it seemed we never had, especially in Europe) to even be in with a chance of beating them.

2013 was a kick in the balls too because I felt we had a good outside chance. We were a little pragmatic but still had quality, a top striker and a load of experience.
We were favourites in '09, which was fair enough given we were European champions but Barca also weren't quite the machine they later became tbh. Honestly think if Fergie could have that game again and do whatever he needed to correct the mental mess we were, the result could easily be the other way. Yeah their defence was a mess, but we decided to give them the ball all game. It was shockingly bad.

Unread 11-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Really? That's quite odd. That barcelona team was absolutely fantastic, it was far more exciting and dynamic than the 2011 one which was a machine which strangled the life out of games.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great defence but our starting midfield that night was Anderson, Carrick and Ryan Giggs. And we stuck them 3 in there against arguably the greatest midfield trio of the last 25 years.

I don't know how anyone who'd watched Barcelona and United that season could have concluded that a) we were favourites and b) that we'd win that final. We ended the game with 2 shots on target

The worst thing that could have happened was Iniesta sticking that ball in the top corner at Stamford Bridge in injury time. We'd have steamrollered that Chelsea team in the final.

Unread 11-10-2019, 09:14 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Really? That's quite odd. That barcelona team was absolutely fantastic, it was far more exciting and dynamic than the 2011 one which was a machine which strangled the life out of games.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great defence but our starting midfield that night was Anderson, Carrick and Ryan Giggs. And we stuck them 3 in there against arguably the greatest midfield trio of the last 25 years.

I don't know how anyone who'd watched Barcelona and United that season could have concluded that a) we were favourites and b) that we'd win that final. We ended the game with 2 shots on target

The worst thing that could have happened was Iniesta sticking that ball in the top corner at Stamford Bridge in injury time. We'd have steamrollered that Chelsea team in the final.
I know, I know...

But we’d beaten them the season before and not only did we have a fantastic defence but also genuine world class forwards.

Barca having an injury crisis of their own (sort of) too and I just felt it was written in the stars that we’d be the first team to retain the champions league

Unread 11-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Casanova85

Barça's defense was not that bad in the 2009 final. Puyol actually started his career as a L/RB and, like Maldini or Desailly, he was world class both as CB and LB. Piqué in one of his best seasons ever, perhaps the best. Touré as CB was a gamble (he miserably struggled at Stamford Bridge in the semis) but in the final he didn't have much to do, did he?
And of course there's the Sylvinho factor, a 35 yo guy. To this day it baffles me that SAF didn't order the team to constantly bombard Barça's LB zone.
But ultimately, utterly losing the midfield is what killed Utd that night. That, and a mediocre night by C.Ronaldo.

Unread 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Yeah we were only defending European champions who had retained the Premier League and had the world's best player.

We were generally regarded as favourites across Europe. Barca had just struggled massively against a Chelsea side we beat to the title.

We didn't show up. Barca were a very good team but we could barely string a pass together. It was a total bottle job.

Unread 11-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah we were only defending European champions who had retained the Premier League and had the world's best player.

We were generally regarded as favourites across Europe. Barca had just struggled massively against a Chelsea side we beat to the title.

We didn't show up. Barca were a very good team but we could barely string a pass together. It was a total bottle job.
We did a spurs is what you’re saying

Unread 11-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Casanova85

Quote:
We did a spurs is what you’re saying
More like a Juventus in 1997 and 1998.

Spurs is more like always confirming that they are never favorites.

Unread 11-10-2019, 01:24 PM
NedKelly

Quote:

Unread 11-10-2019, 01:48 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Hi messhead.

Unread 11-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:

We were a worse team than the previous season where we had just scraped past a worse Barca team in the semis.

We were also missing the only midfielders who could provide any sustained intensity.

Apart from 08 and 99, we had a very bad habit of bottling it in Europe generally, so it was no great suprise that we did so again that night.

Unread 11-10-2019, 04:45 PM
d_knight

Quote:
Has this guy ever won an international competition?

Has he scored more goals than Ronaldo?

Ronaldo: 'Bitch please'

Unread 11-10-2019, 06:43 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_knight
Has this guy ever won an international competition?

Has he scored more goals than Ronaldo?

Ronaldo: 'b***h please'
He has scored more goals than Ronaldo did in the same amount of time. And will probably overtake him by the end of his career.

I don’t really have a horse in that race though, two wonderful but ultimately different players who should be appreciated and respected in equal measure for what they have done.

Unread 11-10-2019, 07:35 PM
d_knight

Quote:
He has scored more goals than Ronaldo did in the same amount of time. And will probably overtake him by the end of his career.

I don’t really have a horse in that race though, two wonderful but ultimately different players who should be appreciated and respected in equal measure for what they have done.
Tonight if Ronaldo scores 2 he will have scored 700 career goals. Only 5 more people have done that in history.

That is irrefutable universal truth like the sky is blue and the grass is green.

I don't care about messi's probably. That may or may not happen.

That argentinian dwarf has at the moment....

672 goals

Unread 11-10-2019, 07:38 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Tonight if Ronaldo scores 2 he will have scored 700 career goals. Only 5 more people have done that in history.

That is irrefutable universal truth like the sky is blue and the grass is green.

672 goals
they’re ridiculous. When either one of them retires it will be a sad day. I doubt we will ever have another player dominate in quite the way they have, and it’s been a pleasure seeing them compete with each other.

Unread 11-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Zorg

Chapman ffs

Unread 11-10-2019, 08:22 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

672 goals
Sure we has a thread about the sky being blue on here years ago. Something about the sea being blue, too...

Unread 11-10-2019, 08:43 PM
d_knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Sure we has a thread about the sky being blue on here years ago. Something about the sea being blue, too...
Wind it in koppas

Unread 11-10-2019, 09:01 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Wind it in koppas
I'm not even joking...

I got pelters for it...
Closed Thread