United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Switching Off

Question The NHS

It occurs to me that if they start saying the NHS is too expensive, and they cant afford to keep it going, there are enough people in the country who are stupid enough to start claiming the NHS is project fear or something. How long till supporting the NHS is a snowflake thing and half the country is vocal about getting rid of it for some undetermined yet beneficial reason? I'd be surprised if in 20 years we still have free healthcare.

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Patty_b

I made this prediction some time ago, over time it will be nailed into plebs heads that the NHS has been destroyed by scroungers and foreigners, and is no longer fit for purpose for hard working, tax paying British folk.

They'll then be repeatedly told by talking heads who are set to make significant money from dismantling the NHS that health insurance is the way forward, and as long as you have a job and aren't a dirty scrounger, you'll have coverage and be fine, and in fact, will have access to better treatment with more options! What's not to love you pleb f***s!

Nailed on.

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Hands of Scone

We donít have free healthcare. Itís paid for by taxes. Itís also massively inefficient, lags behind many other healthcare systems in terms of outcomes, and often acts as a rationing system probably because itís also abused as a service. Your hyperbolic post highlights why itís impossible to have a rational discussion on this topic in this country. Someone will be along in a minute to claim that itís a straight choice between the US system and the NHS.

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:32 PM
suedeshoes

FAO Irk thread IMO

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Zorg

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Albert Tatlock

It's always a tricky topic this because it's so emotive.

Basically health care is expensive, so if you want a world class system, then you have to pay world class costs.

I do not like the US system because if you can't afford the healthcare then you die... and that should not happen in a civilised society.

The NHS is wonderful, but being free at the point of delivery means that either you restrict the services given or you have to increase the taxes of everyone to pay for it. This could be done and if the higher earners and large busineses paid their fair share it could be afordable for the rest of us.

For the last 20 odd years I've been using the mutuelle system, it's basically a set of non governmental/ not for profit health insurance providers. Your taxes and social security contributions provide a basic level of coverage which you can increase if you want extra cover. You also pay a small amount yourself each time you use the doctor/dentist/hospital etc. this means that the more you use it, the more you pay for it. There are safeguards for low earners and vunerable people where they can't afford the payments. One good thing about the mutuelles is that when you choose one, you become a member, with a vote. So if you don't like the way it is run, you can vote to change it. It's not a perfect system, but it seems to work and the standard of healthcare is high.

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:53 PM
My Name is Heath

this sums up my view perfectly

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone View Post
We donít have free healthcare. Itís paid for by taxes. Itís also massively inefficient, lags behind many other healthcare systems in terms of outcomes, and often acts as a rationing system probably because itís also abused as a service. Your hyperbolic post highlights why itís impossible to have a rational discussion on this topic in this country. Someone will be along in a minute to claim that itís a straight choice between the US system and the NHS.
So what do YOU suggest?

Unread 12-10-2019, 08:59 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post
So what do YOU suggest?
German system is good.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/cance...ates-compared/

It's hugely emotive as we have all probably come across great treatment and don't want to diss it but we are not in the upper echelon for many things.

As Lord Buckethead suggests, we should be educated how much things cost.

i had a family member who drank themselves into a mess and was then complaining about having to do scans etc.

People in Africa dying due to lack of facilities

Like all great things, it is abused.

Unread 12-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock View Post
It's always a tricky topic this because it's so emotive.

Basically health care is expensive, so if you want a world class system, then you have to pay world class costs.
Quite

Itís bloody amazing the nhs

Getting rid of it isnít just getting rid of the column in the budget. Itís 80 years of investment, and the opportunity to charge whatever you like to 70 million people for a service they have to have. Itís so incredibly valuable hence the reason itís so sort after by some particularly insidious people...

Something about the quality of the trains and water services...