United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 07-05-2019, 04:49 PM
thatsfuctit

Default Excel

Hoping someone can help please.

I have never been a big user of excel, however i do use it now for a small part of my job.

Each day i run a report from a website I use, then i export it to excel, this morning it was asking me what programme I wanted to use to open the data, and couldn't find excel.

Any ideas?

Unread 07-05-2019, 04:53 PM
red red robbo

Did it say it can't find Excel or can't find the program to use to open the file?

Can you run Excel directly from the Start menu (I'm assuming you're on some sort of Windows platform)?

Do you have your Office apps installed on your PC or do you use the online versions?

What is the name of the file you are trying to open in Excel?

If you answer all these questions then I'm sure someone will be able to help, I don't have a clue

That's not true, I should be able to help

Unread 07-05-2019, 05:01 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
Did it say it can't find Excel or can't find the program to use to open the file?

It can't find it.

Can you run Excel directly from the Start menu (I'm assuming you're on some sort of Windows platform)?

Not any more

Do you have your Office apps installed on your PC or do you use the online versions?

Installed i think, i am on my business partners licence for his other businesses.

What is the name of the file you are trying to open in Excel?

It's just response data from an advertising campaign that has been generated , so it's response times that are accessible on this other website, but we can export (usually) into an excel document

If you answer all these questions then I'm sure someone will be able to help, I don't have a clue

That's not true, I should be able to help
ta

I've downloaded an app called XLS which is now the default program for opening said docs, but it doesn't quite do what i need it to do, and i can work out where Excel has gone to.

Unread 07-05-2019, 05:04 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit View Post
ta
Well that's easy, someone has uninstalled Excel from your PC.

That will be 500 please

This thing about the license worries me. Are you sure you are not using the online version and he has changed the password or something?

EDIT: If you want a free alternative that will do most of the stuff that Excel does then try LibreOffice. What is the extension (the bit after the dot) of the file you are trying to import. If it is .xls or .xlsx the LibreOffice might struggle with some of the advanced features Excel can employ, if it is a simple .csv then LibreOffice will be fine.

Unread 07-05-2019, 05:07 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:

That will be 500 please

This thing about the license worries me. Are you sure you are not using the online version and he has changed the password or something?

Nope. I am with him in the morning , so I'll get him to have a look.
thanks anyway, the cheque is in the post.

Unread 07-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:

That will be 500 please

EDIT: If you want a free alternative that will do most of the stuff that Excel does then try LibreOffice. What is the extension (the bit after the dot) of the file you are trying to import. If it is .xls or .xlsx the LibreOffice might struggle with some of the advanced features Excel can employ, if it is a simple .csv then LibreOffice will be fine.
This.

Unread 07-05-2019, 05:22 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:

That will be 500 please

thanks again, not doing anything particularly clever with it.

The data is a list of mobile telephone numbers who have responded to advertising campaigns we run, I only use excel to check for duplicate calls from the same number.

Unread 08-05-2019, 08:38 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit View Post
thanks again, not doing anything particularly clever with it.

The data is a list of mobile telephone numbers who have responded to advertising campaigns we run, I only use excel to check for duplicate calls from the same number.
LibreOffice will do that.

Unread 08-05-2019, 04:09 PM
red in cumbria

Excel - something that MUFC presently does emphatically not do.

Unread 09-10-2019, 08:49 AM
My Name is Heath

Default oops

got an expat here who is a top bloke.

Wanted to share his genuinely good excel knowledge - and asked the team how they would add up a column of numbers that had a mix of numbers and numbers with the minus sign at the end.

Did a big spiel using the substitute function, '0-' etc. and came up with a really complicated formula.

The local smart ass at the back pipes up - 'or you could just do 'text - to - columns' and that'd do the trick'

Cue lots of nervous shuffling and looking at feet