United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 25-01-2019, 06:52 PM
My Name is Keith

Default Restaurants 2019

Recently, with the children now of an age that we are afforded a little more freedom, myself and Mrs Keith have taken to stepping out ‘of an afternoon’ for a meal and to get fairly whammed, noting at all times not to cross the point of pissedness that triggers aggressiveness in Mrs Keith. Back for 8 ish. If nothing else, it allows me to test out my Northern Ireland accent on her which is basically me shouting ‘Nicky’ like that guy off silent witness.

The last couple of times has resulted in me ordering a drive through McDonald’s on the way home whilst kneeling down on the floor of a black cab. But that’s down to the booze not the food.

Anyway, the reviews:

Wood, Firstt Street, Manchester.

Excellent. Have done the 7 and 5 course tasting menu with wine ‘flight’. Top draw food but at the tweezer/masterchef side of the scale rather than big plates of food. Music is quite loud so no scraping cutlery sounds and it’s defo not up its own arse for a fine dining place. Have been about 4 times in the last 2 months and it’s always top draw.

9/10.

Tapeo & Wine. Dunks favourite players restaurant just off Deansgate.

Very relaxed and food was decent even though i find tapas very meh. Decent.

7/10

Levanter - Ramsbottom - recent reviewed very positively by Jay Raynar no less - easily one of the biggest twats alive. For me it’s only alright - foods a bit meh (tapas again) and you can hear all around you middle class people getting recently excited over things like the fat left on the pork (which to my mind is a bit of a c***s trick) and also the fact that no one can believe a half decent place had opened in Ramsbottom.

6/10 from Keith. Nice place to get sloshed though.

Unread 25-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Knockers

Belting stuff Keith. We’re stepping out tomorrow night to Canto in Ancoats. I shall update yuz after.

Got my eye on Dishoom an’all.

Unread 25-01-2019, 06:57 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Belting stuff Keith. We’re stepping out tomorrow night to Canto in Ancoats. I shall update yuz after.

Heard good things but there's always a bastard of a queue at the London ones.

Unread 25-01-2019, 06:58 PM
est.1878

Thread

Half price January is in full swing... Reviews to follow

Unread 25-01-2019, 07:16 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers

If you see Ancoats Tony, be sure to ask him where he’s from *

At a pre match booze up, a mate, in very deferential ‘this is a top boy’ tones talked about us meeting up with ‘Ancoats Tony’. The entire rest of the day consisted of me asking my mate where Ancoats Tony was from.

“Remind me again, where’s Ancoats Tony from?” Etc

Absolute shit story but still makes me laugh thinking about it.

Fazenda - Spinningfields- Argentinian all you can eat steak house.

My review:

Felt like the above within about 35 seconds of being in there.

Unread 25-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Dishoom in London was good.

Yours,
Jay Rayner

Unread 25-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Thread

Will be dipping in and out.

Hawksmoor

Ended up in the Nags head Saturday after united and got a surprise knock on the window, my brother had flown in from the dam with presents and an open credit card (KNG)

Had the surf and turf, half a lobster and a 400g fillet (rare) triple dipped chips, peppercorn sauce and buttered greens.

7.6/10 for the food, needed more lobster.

Quite a dour place and they had run out of a lot of meat by 7pm.

Guy Garvey's on the adjacent table and the waiting staff wear civvies....

Got a little birthday sing song, throw them curtains wide and your wallet....

Unread 25-01-2019, 11:30 PM
no fun

Would highly recommend Da Noi Italian restaurant in Altrincham

Unread 27-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Knockers

Canto in Ancoats then. Portuguese tapas. Massive place, lovely tiling. We ordered more or less everything they had and it came out in exquisite dribs and drabs. All the meat arrived at once at the end, which sent me under. The comely waitress from Venezuela was a bonus. V nice. 9/10.

Had a drink in The Jane Eyre beforehand and their food smelled bang on too. I’m pro-Ancoats. It was dead by 11.30, mind.

Unread 27-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Bunker Buster

Up and coming Ancoats, Sans coats