United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The 6-year contract given to Moyes. The 5.5-year contract given to Rooney despite Alex Ferguson feeling his days were near an end. The 5-year contract to Alexis Sanchez. People compare football to other businesses, but as mentioned on here a million times forget others businesses - there's no major club in Europe that would still have this bloke in charge of football decisions.
He makes the club commercially successful.

That's all our owners care about..

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Not gonna repeat myself again. IMO we're finished for a few years barring a dramatic change this summer.
No disrespect, but you didn't see the deeper problems when you spent every waking minute blaming LvG. Mourinho was not the solution for United. I asked the question earlier this season: for all the internal issues and gauntlets - what was Mourinho doing right? What was he contributing? What vision did he have that could buy into? I found it tough to make arguments for him this season.

It's a shame that Ole will inevitably now suffer doubts over his competence. Understandable doubts, but this is a broken team. I still tend to the view that with a couple of top midfielders and a centre-half we will have the tools to be a good side, whether it proves under Ole or someone else.

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:48 PM
saffers

Quote:
No disrespect, but you didn't see the deeper problems when you spent every waking minute blaming LvG. Mourinho was not the solution for United. I asked the question earlier this season: for all the internal issues and gauntlets - what was Mourinho doing right? What was he contributing? What vision did he have that could buy into? I found it tough to make arguments for him this season.

It's a shame that Ole will inevitably now suffer doubts over his competence. Understandable doubts, but this is a broken team. I still tend to the view that with a couple of top midfielders and a centre-half we will have the tools to be a good side, whether it proves under Ole or someone else.
Mourinho was building something. Woodward wrecked all that and of course Mou being Mou is gonna meltdown.

IMO his hiring was not the mistake, but rather the way he was treated. If anything, his hiring is the only smart thing Woody has done given our best two seasons since Ferie left were under Mou.

But read what I wrote about the post-mou stuff again. Now he's gone, and it was the right decision all things considered. Why not take this opportunity to build something more sturdy? Why take such a crazy gamble when there's no need for it?

Like Lok says, would he get a 3 year deal had we left the decision till May and this run of 8 games was part of the evaluation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
He's very weak. Follows the public mood and even then waits and waits until it's safe to do so.

Would be happier to see him gone than get a new manager.
100% agree.

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Mourinho was building something. Woodward wrecked all that and of course Mou being Mou is gonna meltdown.

IMO his hiring was not the mistake, but rather the way he was treated. If anything, his hiring is the only smart thing Woody has done given our best two seasons since Ferie left were under Mou.

But read what I wrote about the post-mou stuff again. Now he's gone, and it was the right decision all things considered. Why not take this opportunity to build something more sturdy? Why take such a crazy gamble when there's no need for it?

Like Lok says, would he get a 3 year deal had we left the decision till May and this run of 8 games was part of the evaluation?

100% agree.
He really wasn't though. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's why they turned on him. I expect Woodward turned on Mourinho due to public perception of him and due to his deteriorating relationship with Pogba. I sided with Mou in the issue with Pogba but the club chose to undermine the manager and hand all the power to the player. And Pogba is a guy who needs his ego kept in check, not inflated by giving him an advantage in the power tussle.

Last season results were hard to argue with, as even Mou sceptics agreed. For me they didn't tell the story though. Performances were poor and the lack of progress by players after two years was a concern. It looks for all the world like the typical Mou second season peak and it wouldn't get better.

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:53 PM
saffers

Quote:
He really wasn't though. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that's why they turned on him. I expect Woodward turned on Mourinho due to public perception of him and due to his deteriorating relationship with Pogba. I sided with Mou in the issue with Pogba but the club chose to undermine the manager and hand all the power to the player. And Pogba is a guy who needs his ego kept in check, not inflated by giving him an advantage in the power tussle.

Last season results were hard to argue with, as even Mou sceptics agreed. For me they didn't tell the story though. Performances were poor and the lack of progress by players after two years was a concern. It looks for all the world like the typical Mou second season peak and it wouldn't get better.
He clearly was building something, and the results back that up.

IMO pointless debating this with someone who preferred the guy Mou replaced. Both contributed positive things to the club imo but were let down by Woodward. Nothing more I will add.

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:54 PM
dunk

Quote:
He clearly was building something, and the results back that up.

IMO pointless debating this with someone who preferred the guy Mou replaced. Both contributed positive things to the club imo but were let down by Woodward. Nothing more I will add.
This is what he built.

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Lok

£#%&! it, sack him now.

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:57 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
This is what he built.
We never played like this or had a run of results like this under him. Even when he was actively trying to get sacked. First two seasons, 3 cups, and 2nd place, beating rivals regularly, loads of comebacks.

Now we're barely getting shots on target. I don't know what has happened behind the scenes but this should alarm everyone. This looks worse than Moyes.

Unread 21-04-2019, 02:58 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
This is what he built.
Woodward built this over six years.

Unread 21-04-2019, 03:03 PM
MartialLaw

If he had anything about him he'd walk at the end of the season. It's worse than moyes.

Unread 21-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialLaw
If he had anything about him he'd walk at the end of the season. It's worse than moyes.
That's the worst thing I've seen all day.

And I'm watching United.

Unread 21-04-2019, 03:51 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
5 year contract given to Chris £#%&!ing Smalling.
New contracts - *any* new contracts - for Jones and Young.

The list is almost endless

Unread 21-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Vedder

Unread 21-04-2019, 05:06 PM
dunk

Quote:
We never played like this or had a run of results like this under him. Even when he was actively trying to get sacked. First two seasons, 3 cups, and 2nd place, beating rivals regularly, loads of comebacks.

Now we're barely getting shots on target. I don't know what has happened behind the scenes but this should alarm everyone. This looks worse than Moyes.
West Ham
Brighton

This season off the top of my head. Fewer mitigations then too.

Unread 21-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Parlabane

Saffers - Yep he was building a massive festering pile of shit - sure the players need to take their share of the blame - but Mourinho just had the whole place stinking out under his constant pessimistic / depressive personality

Unread 21-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlabane
Saggers - Yep he was building a massive festering pile of shit - sure the players need to take their share of the blame - but Mourinho just had the whole place stinking out under his constant pessimistic / depressive personality
Yeah the place is absolutely b#@&%! with optimism now tbf

Unread 21-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Parlabane

I’d rather give it a try under Solskjaer give him some backing etc than become the stinking shit show we were under mourhinio

At the very least you would imagine the Ole has the clubs best interest at heart mourhinio was just interested in himself

Unread 21-04-2019, 05:25 PM
utd99

Quote:
Saffers, what was he building? At the end of his tenure he could pretty much have picked an entire first team just out of players he bought, and we were as bad at that point as any moment since Fergie left. The depression around the club at how he was reacting to that fact was just making things worse by the week. None of us wanted him to fail, but to keep excusing him like this is £#%&!ing madness mate.

Unread 21-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
"I'm going to be successful here"

Unread 21-04-2019, 05:43 PM
MartialLaw

Hang on he was telling us these players were brilliant 2 months ago and now there shite?
Closed Thread