United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 18-12-2023, 10:57 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
=

I’m yet to SEE anything that screams OUT special.

I automatically translate the posts without thinking about it.
Yeah I’m fluent in pure speak and once you’ve cracked that you can understand anything.

Rasmus will come good, but he’s largely dependant on the rest of the team actually providing for him. Had Haaland come here we’d be saying the exact same thing about him. I think there’s only one striker in world football who’d be able to hit pretty high numbers here (in our current state) and that’s Kane, simply because he’s a complete footballer and can play from deep, making things happen.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:04 PM
Haggler

Him and Max from Corrie were swapped

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:07 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
It’s my phone and how quick i type. I don’t bother checking it. Just type and send!

Back to Hojlund, it’s not his fault but he really isn’t what we need and isnt the level required.

Even the kind of striker he is doesn’t compliment or jel with the forwards we have at the club.
Given our two wide startik forwards are 21 and rashford.
You’d want a more self sufficient striker who will get his own goals and interchange with the other two. A player like Jesus or Ollie Watkins.
Buying a striker who relies on service knowing we have two greedy and unproductive wide players in the league is madness.
but then Again you know who is faultless so it’s just the glazers fault really.
You undermine your credibility with nonsense like that. Jesus isn't a goal scorer and arsenal won't win the league unless they sign someone like Osimhen. Watkins is Welbeck level. Decent but not top tier.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:11 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Yeah I’m fluent in pure speak and once you’ve cracked that you can understand anything.

Rasmus will come good, but he’s largely dependant on the rest of the team actually providing for him. Had Haaland come here we’d be saying the exact same thing about him. I think there’s only one striker in world football who’d be able to hit pretty high numbers here (in our current state) and that’s Kane, simply because he’s a complete footballer and can play from deep, making things happen.
That’s besides the point.

We don’t need a haaland type striker. He would be equally redundant.
We need a Jesus type for now. That will create his own goals, comfortable across the whole forward line so he can switch, can run with the ball etc

As a club we need to sign players that build off the back of the players we’ve signed the year before and so on…..not just buy a service requiring striker while having wingers that prefer to cut in and shoot.

It’s all a mess and Hojlund coming good is wishful as he will struggle to flourish in our team regardless.
The fact that he isn’t very good as it is right now is compounding the goals problem.

Who kept screaming this team will struggle badly for goals before the season started? low and behold we are an embarrassment. Only Luton forest Burnley and sheff United have score less goals that us.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:12 PM
Baron

Quote:
You undermine your credibility with nonsense like that. Jesus isn't a goal scorer and arsenal won't win the league unless they sign someone like Osimhen. Watkins is Welbeck level. Decent but not top tier.
& absolutely neither of them “make their own goals” ffs

They are the epitome of good service and even then Jesus is monumentally unreliable both in finishing and fitness.

Højland will take this season at best to bed in and be an absolute machine next term. I think if ETH could do a Ronaldo and give him a couple of weeks in the sun to go rest and reset I can see him firing off on the second half of the year so long as we can put out a team that can £#%&!ing square a pass!

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:16 PM
armchair

He means an aguiro type. tbh I don't agree. I think we need a proper no.9. But we play like we have no-one up front. Rashford basically had an identity crisis when he was told to cross occasionally and antony just took the instructions out on his ladyfiends.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:24 PM
marlo

Quote:
With Jesus it’s about more than the goals.
He troubles the opposition, runs wit the ball and the defenders and that would compliment rashford and 21 and they can all interchange etc
He is like a shit version of tevez.

Arsenal won’t win the league you’re right BUT we are two levels below.
We get an industrious striker to chip in and he’ll us get decent enough then once we get there we pick up a world class number 9.
Right now we lack so many things in so many areas there’s no point having a oshimen or Kane.

Watkins isn’t the answer to everything but he makes us better.
We aren’t a few players away from challenging so we first off get average/dependable players then once we get better we then go up a level.
Right now maguire is our best CB, Bruno fernandes is the heart beat of our team….we shouldn’t be even thinking of top tier players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
& absolutely neither of them “make their own goals” ffs

They are the epitome of good service and even then Jesus is monumentally unreliable both in finishing and fitness.
I’d didn’t say buy Jesus i said a player just like him

Don’t be a woman and hang on my every word.
I was giving an example of the type of player we should be looking at, not the specific.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:29 PM
armchair

Quote:
With Jesus it’s about more than the goals.
He troubles the opposition, runs wit the ball and the defenders and that would compliment rashford and 21 and they can all interchange etc
He is like a shit version of tevez.

Arsenal won’t win the league you’re right BUT we are two levels below.
We get an industrious striker to chip in and he’ll us get decent enough then once we get there we pick up a world class number 9.
Right now we lack so many things in so many areas there’s no point having a oshimen or Kane.

Watkins isn’t the answer to everything but he makes us better.
We aren’t a few players away from challenging so we first off get average/dependable players then once we get better we then go up a level.
Right now maguire is our best CB, Bruno fernandes is the heart beat of our team….we shouldn’t be even thinking of top tier players.
watkins would upset me the way mount upsets you.

I think if we played Bruno at 10 instead of out wide or midfield then whoever is upfront would score goals.

Do you know who fits your profile? Rashford Shit striker who can get a goal from nothing.

I think we're doing Hojland a disservice. He gets so little of the ball it's impossible to judge him as a player.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:35 PM
jem

marlo desperate not win sage of the year with this wakins/jesus > højlund nonsense. the lad needs better service and to settle, but the idea that jesus or watkins would do anything for us is fanciful.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
A 20 year old that broke into proper European Football no more than no less than a year ago should not be leading the line for Manchester United. He’s a victim of circumstance four months into his United career. He is not a problem nor a concern at all.
Spot on.

Ten Hag gets a lot of shit for the transfers since he got here but I don't think he's had his first choice with any of the players we've signed. When he first got here, the player he coveted most was Frenkie De Jong. We couldn't get him so we ended up panic buying Casemiro.

He wanted Diogo Costa From Porto and Harry Kane this summer. But those are hard deals to get over the line and we tend to do the easy deals like over-paying for players like Antony.

With a lack of any kind of director of football above him it's all been left to Ten Hag to identify the players he needs and so far he's just stuck to what he knows. He should have had somebody above him to say "no sorry we're not spending 60 million on mason mount and 80 million on antony" there's better out there.

I remember seeing a clip of that All or Nothing amazon series with Manchester City where they're in a room discussing the transfer of Aymeric Laporte or someone, you've got the technical director, the director of football, the head coach all there, they've got a big powerpoint presentation with all the targets, pros and cons etc etc. Transfer being talked through in intricate detail so everyone's happy with it. Calculated, methodical and detail orientated. Can anyone imagine anything like that happening at Old Trafford with the numpties in charge? No chance. Is it any wonder our transfer policy in the last decade has been an absolute mess.

I honestly can't believe we haven't got a cohesive system in place for identifying targets, there's so many games now and so little time for anything else you can't be leaving it all to the £#%&!ing first team coach.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:42 PM
armchair

I think antony was signed because it was the only signing they could actually do and even then they had to pay way over the odds to get it done. He was never a priority. He was just doable at the last minute.

Unread 19-12-2023, 12:20 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Spot on.

Ten Hag gets a lot of shit for the transfers since he got here but I don't think he's had his first choice with any of the players we've signed. When he first got here, the player he coveted most was Frenkie De Jong. We couldn't get him so we ended up panic buying Casemiro.

He wanted Diogo Costa From Porto and Harry Kane this summer. But those are hard deals to get over the line and we tend to do the easy deals like over-paying for players like Antony.

With a lack of any kind of director of football above him it's all been left to Ten Hag to identify the players he needs and so far he's just stuck to what he knows. He should have had somebody above him to say "no sorry we're not spending 60 million on mason mount and 80 million on antony" there's better out there.

I remember seeing a clip of that All or Nothing amazon series with Manchester City where they're in a room discussing the transfer of Aymeric Laporte or someone, you've got the technical director, the director of football, the head coach all there, they've got a big powerpoint presentation with all the targets, pros and cons etc etc. Transfer being talked through in intricate detail so everyone's happy with it. Calculated, methodical and detail orientated. Can anyone imagine anything like that happening at Old Trafford with the numpties in charge? No chance. Is it any wonder our transfer policy in the last decade has been an absolute mess.

I honestly can't believe we haven't got a cohesive system in place for identifying targets, there's so many games now and so little time for anything else you can't be leaving it all to the £#%&!ing first team coach.
you can’t have it both ways.

ETH is stubborn and said he would not take the job unless he has a final say on transfers.

only possibly pep gets his first choice signings.

arteta is getting his 2nd / 3rd choice
Klopp is always complaining because he doesn’t get his first choice.
they make it work with what they get in.

The problem now will be that if a DOF comes in, and decide on the players, will we then say it’s not working because the manager is given players he didn’t want?

The blame game will go on forever.

Unread 19-12-2023, 12:27 AM
Weekend Hussler

Quote:
We have been better if buying Ollie Watkins for about the same price or a cheaper seasoned stop gap striker and broja at Chelsea for a combined 70m.
Did you see the chance he missed at the weekend?

Unread 19-12-2023, 12:44 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
you can’t have it both ways.

ETH is stubborn and said he would not take the job unless he has a final say on transfers.

only possibly pep gets his first choice signings.

arteta is getting his 2nd / 3rd choice
Klopp is always complaining because he doesn’t get his first choice.

they make it work with what they get in.

The problem now will be that if a DOF comes in, and decide on the players, will we then say it’s not working because the manager is given players he didn’t want?

The blame game will go on forever.
Arteta isn't getting his first choice? 100 million declan rice wasn't his first choice? Alright then

I think the main issue is that you've decided in your own mind after 18 months in the job that ten hag isn't good enough and that's that. Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. I haven't decided that yet and i want to give him more time until the club gets it's act together and he's not dealing with a never ending soap opera of behind the scenes drama.

The blame game and indeed this revolving door of managers will continue until the overall structure at the club is in place with the right people in the right positions. Until then there isn't a manager in the entire world who's going to come in and wave a magic wand and undo 10 years of horrendous decisions in 18 months.

Unread 19-12-2023, 02:22 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Hussler
Did you see the chance he missed at the weekend?
no one is perfect and the soon the majority of of fans grasp reality the better.

when it comes to suggesting players no one wants to stick their neck out and the names of the players don’t hit home and it’s just laughter and turning their nose up.

but the reality is, this “nothing special” players play against us and look like avengers because we are shit.
All these “ average” players will make us better.

Also make up your mind, you don’t want big names past their best and you claim they are looking for a payday and then you laugh at average/good players just going about their business in the hardest league in the word….

The reality is we are really really bad. From back to front we are shit.
Goal keeper - shit
Defence - ok
Midfield -
Forward line - just look at goals scored in the league
Manager - can’t get the team set up well it able to play good football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Arteta isn't getting his first choice? 100 million declan rice wasn't his first choice? Alright then

I think the main issue is that you've decided in your own mind after 18 months in the job that ten hag isn't good enough and that's that. Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. I haven't decided that yet and i want to give him more time until the club gets it's act together and he's not dealing with a never ending soap opera of behind the scenes drama.

The blame game and indeed this revolving door of managers will continue until the overall structure at the club is in place with the right people in the right positions. Until then there isn't a manager in the entire world who's going to come in and wave a magic wand and undo 10 years of horrendous decisions in 18 months.
Rice was arsenals 2nd choice
Arteta wanted caciedo
https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/17/why-a...-18967583/amp/
they wanted it wrapped up in June/July.

ok so the situation is we need to stop repeating our mistakes yet we are doing exactly what we did with ole.
We are letting a manager who is really he is up for the chance to compound his own mistakes .
How can ETH be granted a third seaosn if he hasn’t made progress since 3/4s of the way through the first season.
A ruthless department won’t just say “give him another year” they had to evidence to suggest he can get the best out of what he is got etc.

If he buys more players , the new manager would have to get rid of like 10-12 of his shit before he can get us out the mud.

What we need is a competent football department and also a manager with a vision and the ability to actually make an imprint on the team and how we play. 18th months in and we don’t know how we are supposed to play, we don’t see him showing how we can adjust in games and not one player including his players from Ajax are excelling in what system we have…

It’s worth nothing who was calling for a DOF last season while dunk and the rest of you were telling me fletcher and Co are doing a great job.
A man that signed and played weghorst every game should never have had a say in any transfers going forward…..that didn’t happen and he went on and delivered mount, Onana and inexperienced raw danish striker who can’t score.
Those that don’t hear much feel!

Unread 19-12-2023, 06:11 AM
believe

Have Arsenal got PowerPoint?

Unread 19-12-2023, 09:02 AM
pedr0

big Jim's first act: sort out a Microsoft365 subscription

Unread 21-12-2023, 08:07 AM
croady26

Guy needs someone to take pressure off his shoulders in January,not Murtough crying about FFP showing it's teeth

Unread 21-12-2023, 08:17 AM
My Name is Heath

Jesus actually gels ok with our wide attackers.

They’re all awful on crosses.

Unread 21-12-2023, 11:44 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by croady26
Guy needs someone to take pressure off his shoulders in January,not Murtough crying about FFP showing it's teeth
yep have it both ways.

you are backing a manager getting us knocked out of every cup competition at the earliest stage which results in less prize money/tv money etx but you want us to spend.

approaching half a billion spent , out of the carling cup and Europe before Christmas but yeah we must back him.
back him with that, money we won’t have as he is failing….

logic at its best.

Also spending more money because he decided to waste 70m on a striker not good enough for us right now