United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 06-06-2020, 12:48 PM
Fat Al

Football The Big Match Re-visited

Just caught the end of The Big Match Re-visited on ITV 4.

Brian Moore introducing games from Oct 1976.

Spurs throwing away a 2 goal lead at home to Everton (Spurs gonna Spurs) & West Ham getting stuffed at West Brom.

f***ing brilliant. Stadiums full of people standing up. Horrific hairstyles on the players. Pitches that looked like WW1 battlefields. Kits with no silly badges & sponsors names on. Players in their late 20's/early 30's who look like they're pushing 50. Horrific tackles going in & no players rolling around on the floor for 5 mins.

Proper football. Series linked it so I don't miss any more. Rather watch that than the sterile doctored shit we're about to get served up with.

Unread 06-06-2020, 01:11 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Just caught the end of The Big Match Re-visited on ITV 4.

Brian Moore introducing games from Oct 1976.

Spurs throwing away a 2 goal lead at home to Everton (Spurs gonna Spurs) & West Ham getting stuffed at West Brom.

f***ing brilliant. Stadiums full of people standing up. Horrific hairstyles on the players. Pitches that looked like WW1 battlefields. Kits with no silly badges & sponsors names on. Players in their late 20's/early 30's who look like they're pushing 50. Horrific tackles going in & no players rolling around on the floor for 5 mins.

Proper football. Series linked it so I don't miss any more. Rather watch that than the sterile doctored shit we're about to get served up with.
I know what you mean, i'm a big fan myself.

The standard of football was diabolical though.

Unread 06-06-2020, 06:24 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I know what you mean, i'm a big fan myself.

The standard of football was diabolical though.
Not all of it. And that season wasnt too bad for United IIRC.

Unread 06-06-2020, 06:30 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Not all of it. And that season wasnt too bad for United IIRC.
1976/77 had the FA Cup and a memorable European night when we beat Ajax, but the league form (unlike the previous season) wasn't too hot.

Unread 06-06-2020, 08:58 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
1976/77 had the FA Cup and a memorable European night when we beat Ajax, but the league form (unlike the previous season) wasn't too hot.
Given the previous few seasons, the FA Cup (and stopping the vermin winning the treble) was a bloody good result.
Meant a lot more then.

Unread 06-06-2020, 09:02 PM
armchair

I wonder could people guess what thread this was posted in if they didn't already know.

Unread 06-06-2020, 09:34 PM
rubbernecker

The Big Match was for that there London

In the North West aka Granadaland we had Kick Off fronted by Gerald Sinstadt until he moved to the BBC and his career tanked following the unfortunate cinema incident

All this was a foreshadowed the rise of Kick Off Match and Elton Welsby's lapels

Last edited by rubbernecker; 06-06-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Unread 06-06-2020, 11:14 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Given the previous few seasons, the FA Cup (and stopping the vermin winning the treble) was a bloody good result.
Meant a lot more then.
God yeah, it was a fantastic day don't get me wrong - and still one that I remember well

Unread 06-06-2020, 11:19 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
God yeah, it was a fantastic day don't get me wrong - and still one that I remember well
Im still pissed off at my dad for not taking me. He was going with a mate who had to cancel at the last minute so he said hed take me then he let another mate of his have the ticket.

Unread 06-06-2020, 11:21 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I wonder could people guess what thread this was posted in if they didn't already know.
Gonna say the Ronaldo one or the sky arts Stones one. Amiright or amiright?