United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2019, 05:26 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
So what the heck are they basing signing him up on? A youtube video?!
That sounds totally like Woody tbf.

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
How often does that happen though? Its a rare isolated rare incident. You would think giving ole the job in feb he would have a set of scout reports from the top 4/5 leagues in europe. Longstaff has literally not played ( in all his 8 games) since feb/march. So what the heck sre they basing signing him up on? A youtube video?!
Pretty sure the lad has played other games aside from those 8 PL games in his life pal.

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:28 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Pretty sure the lad has played other games aside from those 8 PL games in his life pal.
Very good loan spell at Blackpool apparently.

I think this kid will shock us all and be a proper talent

Unread 03-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Lok

Quote:
How often does that happen though? Its a rare isolated rare incident. You would think giving ole the job in feb he would have a set of scout reports from the top 4/5 leagues in europe. Longstaff has literally not played ( in all his 8 games) since feb/march. So what the heck sre they basing signing him up on? A youtube video?!
They'll have been following him for some time. Watching him in reserves matches etc...

I admit I've only seen him in 1 match (against City) and then a few Youtube videos but he looked a very good prospect. At the money being talked about it's not exactly a big gamble.

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:

Right because we should be signing players based on their performances in the championship.

Look if they sign him, i hope i am wrong about him. But it doesnt give me much hope when we are signing championship grade players, and players who have had a big injury and only played 8 times in the premier league.

Unread 03-07-2019, 09:25 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Right because we should be signing players based on their performances in the championship.

Look if they sign him, i hope i am wrong about him. But it doesnt give me much hope when we are signing championship grade players, and players who have had a big injury and only played 8 times in the premier league.
League One

Unread 03-07-2019, 10:40 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Very good loan spell at Blackpool apparently.

I think this kid will shock us all and be a proper talent
Duckers got any sage insights on this lad?

Unread 03-07-2019, 11:14 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
League One
We signed Lee Sharpe from the old 4th division.

Just saying and everything.

Unread 04-07-2019, 12:12 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:

Players are either good enough or they’re not. Liverpool signed Ian rush from Chester city ffs.

We moan when united don’t make such signings through scouting, and now we’re moaning that they do.

Unread 04-07-2019, 12:39 AM
armchair

much prefer this profile of player. we signed roy keane from relegated forest iirc.

Unread 04-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Players are either good enough or they’re not. Liverpool signed Ian rush from Chester city ffs.

We moan when united don’t make such signings through scouting, and now we’re moaning that they do.
Again, youre bringing up an example from around 30 years ago to prove your point.

There is no way man utd have scouted this player.They literally cant have.

I'd be even more alarmed if they actually are basing signing this guy off the back end of some u21 appearances

Unread 04-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Again, youre bringing up an example from around 30 years ago to prove your point.

I'd be even more alarmed if they actually are basing signing this guy off the back end of some u21 appearances

Because our scouting network doesn't stretch as far north as Newcastle and Kilmarnock?

Of course they have scouted him, at least to some degree.

I hope we get him in tbh, he looks decent and worth a punt. The only negative is his knee injury, but worth the risk imo.

Unread 04-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Ok.

Unread 04-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Jethro

Quote:

£#%&! me

Unread 04-07-2019, 09:56 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

Because our scouting network doesn't stretch as far north as Newcastle and Kilmarnock?

Of course they have scouted him, at least to some degree.

I hope we get him in tbh, he looks decent and worth a punt. The only negative is his knee injury, but worth the risk imo.
Family friend has just got a job as a scout at a club in the championship. He used to own a pub. Pretty good at football back in the day but it staggers me how easy it seemed to become a scout. He did know a scout at the same club, however, so seems to be who you know not what you know.

Unread 04-07-2019, 10:13 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger

Yep. This.

My concern is that we just don't know if they're good enough or not anymore

Unread 04-07-2019, 11:24 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Yep. This.

It's like the music business which used to have a one in ten success ratio. There are so many unknowns. Look at Birtles. The other way I remember Terry Cooke's home debut and thinking he was nailed on to succeed.

Unread 04-07-2019, 11:26 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
It's like the music business which used to have a one in ten success ratio. There are so many unknowns. Look at Birtles. The other way I remember Terry Cooke's home debut and thinking he was nailed on to succeed.
Remember being at Old Trafford when we beat Galatasary 4-0 in 1994 in the Champions League and Simon Davis scored. Thought he was going to be a £#%&!ing great player. Ended up at Luton 3 years later.

Unread 04-07-2019, 11:31 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Yep. This.

At least we seemed to be identifying a specific type of player

Longstaff is clearly earmarked as Matic long term replacement / backup
By long term replacement I mean after 1 game next season

Unread 04-07-2019, 11:32 AM
windy waffles

Quote: