United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink

Unread 27-01-2019, 10:34 AM
My Name is Keith

Ibérica in Spinningfields.

Obvs tapazzzzzzz again but the food was very decent. A solid 7/10.

The double height bar is the real highlight though - looks amazing. I’m giving it 10/10 - *the highest possible award on my marking system*

Could happily get slowly trashed in there all afternoon.

Unread 27-01-2019, 01:03 PM
shenwen

Going to bookmark a few of these for when I’m back this summer. Reckon the missus would fancy Iberica.

What’s the price level in these places? Need a scale: Cheap, moderate, pricey or outrageous.

Unread 27-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Going to bookmark a few of these for when I’m back this summer. Reckon the missus would fancy Iberica.

What’s the price level in these places? Need a scale: Cheap, moderate, pricey or outrageous.
Canto was £165 minus tip for four of us. We were stuffed and drank like fish. Decent value imho.

Unread 27-01-2019, 01:59 PM
My Name is Keith

£230 for 4 of us in Ibérica

£200 ish for 2 in Wood (tasting menu and wine taster)

Can’t remember precisely but Mata’s gaff was the cheapest I think.

Wood still my favourite btw.

Unread 27-01-2019, 02:29 PM
92ToBury

The Clarence in Bury. Now turned into a gastro pub, serves a belting rib-eye steak (medium rare, obviously). Good selection of upmarket beers too.

Porada in Whitefield - classic Italian organised chaos, food is decent and the service is entertaining. Decent value but they do run out of things (which is good because the frozen options are always available)

Unread 27-01-2019, 04:19 PM
jaffo

Spiritland South Bank. Very nice food although pretentious as f*** with the descriptions (Biber Salçasi cauliflower, kale saag, green mango yogurt) and quite over priced.

Nice surroundings though and we were entertained by a Fredster on the decks

Would return for a (also overpriced) drink but probably not to eat.

Unread 27-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Spock

XU in Chinatown (vibrante) for fantastic Chinese/ Taiwanese fare, nothing at all like your usual sweet and sour pork etc. Nice 1930's decor. Splendid stuff

Unread 27-01-2019, 04:46 PM
big chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
Heard good things but there's always a bastard of a queue at the London ones.
If there is more than 6 you can book a table. Their keema & black dhal is immense.

Unread 27-01-2019, 05:08 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by big chief
If there is more than 6 you can book a table. Their keema & black dhal is immense.
Have you been to Roti Chai Chiefers? They're pretty good imo

Unread 27-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Recently, with the children now of an age that we are afforded a little more freedom, myself and Mrs Keith have taken to stepping out ‘of an afternoon’ for a meal and to get fairly whammed, noting at all times not to cross the point of pissedness that triggers aggressiveness in Mrs Keith. Back for 8 ish. If nothing else, it allows me to test out my Northern Ireland accent on her which is basically me shouting ‘Nicky’ like that guy off silent witness.

The last couple of times has resulted in me ordering a drive through McDonald’s on the way home whilst kneeling down on the floor of a black cab. But that’s down to the booze not the food.

Anyway, the reviews:

Wood, Firstt Street, Manchester.

Excellent. Have done the 7 and 5 course tasting menu with wine ‘flight’. Top draw food but at the tweezer/masterchef side of the scale rather than big plates of food. Music is quite loud so no scraping cutlery sounds and it’s defo not up its own arse for a fine dining place. Have been about 4 times in the last 2 months and it’s always top draw.

9/10.

Tapeo & Wine. Dunks favourite players restaurant just off Deansgate.

Very relaxed and food was decent even though i find tapas very meh. Decent.

7/10

Levanter - Ramsbottom - recent reviewed very positively by Jay Raynar no less - easily one of the biggest twats alive. For me it’s only alright - foods a bit meh (tapas again) and you can hear all around you middle class people getting recently excited over things like the fat left on the pork (which to my mind is a bit of a c***s trick) and also the fact that no one can believe a half decent place had opened in Ramsbottom.

6/10 from Keith. Nice place to get sloshed though.

was in levanter last week , keith. was impressed with it, tbh, although i don't like the fact you can't book a table in there. agreed on the middle-class/smug vibe, which brings the overall score of 7/10 down one point for me.