Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
In

Iím doing feb too. Gonna be tough!

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Switching Off

Worth a quick read.

Quote:
'Look I know I am a grumpy old man but I am pretty unimpressed by the advertising on the telly trying to get me to sign up to giving up booze in January to raise money for Cancer Research UK ( and others) .

Now i have nothing against Cancer Research and indeed my family has cause to be grateful for Cancer treatments, just like a lot of other people.
However, it strikes me that my local pub's Landlady works herself into the ground running a pub that is at the heart of our community and barely scrapes a living from it. Giving up booze in January will not help her, or the thousands of other pubs in the UK that are struggling to survive against greedy Pubcos and cheap unregulated booze in the supermarkets. They need your custom, especially in January.

So i did a quick google of Cancer Research UK. Their 2017/18 annual report shows that they have an income of £634M, of which they spend £186 million of it on fundraising and "trading" costs. Yes that's right. They spend £186M on salaries and overheads.

On their Board they have 11 members, including a
* Chief Executive, ***
* Executive Director Human Resources,
* Interim Chief Financial Director and Executive Director Corporate Resources,
* Executive Director Fundraising and Marketing
* Chief Information Officer
* Executive Director Philanthropy and Partnerships.

Note that none of these have anything to do with research but are all servicing the machine, so as to speak. I'm pretty damn sure that they all earn more than me or you and certainly more than a pubco landlord.

So in January I'm going to make a point of going into my local pub at least once a week and buy a couple of pints. It will do more good than providing funding for the £186M costs for this big charity or the dozens of others that are run along similar lines.

I'll also be giving money to the Colchester Night Shelter, where the Board is made up entirely people giving their time for nothing and who could use a fraction of the money that the big charities spend on their executives and costs to much better use.

Like I said, an increasingly grumpy old man.

*** I've just found out that the previous CEO of Cancer Research, Harpal Kumar,got paid £240K per annum'

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Cutting to once a week.

Also quitting cigs and weed....

Might as well be dead.

Don't talk to me from Monday

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:39 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Cutting to once a week.

Also quitting cigs and weed....

Might as well be dead.

Don't talk to me from Monday
Jaysus! Tbf itís good for the body to have a break and good for the spirit and mind. However not looking forward to the night sweats tonight before returning to work tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Worth a quick read.
No intention of asking for sponsorship. In general Iím against these massive charities. How much is spent on advertising?

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:42 PM
thatsfuctit

Big charities are big businesses, it always surprises me why people are shocked that their senior staff are paid the going rate for the positions.

Birthday is in Jan so total abstinence is a none starter anyway.

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Jaysus! Tbf itís good for the body to have a break and good for the spirit and mind. However not looking forward to the night sweats tonight before returning to work tomorrow.

No intention of asking for sponsorship. In general Iím against these massive charities. How much is spent on advertising?
No idea, although they all rent expensive property in that London.

I thought it was more an interesting take from the pub side of things. Although im sure our local Wetherspoons will be packed at 10am tomorrow as usual.

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Worth a quick read.
Should have looked at the Charity Register online - would have got a much more accurate breakdown of the directors salaries.

And this is a long-standing argument re salaries of people working at charities.
Pay less & you won't be able to attract the calibre of people you need to run an organisation of that size. And especially in times of austerity, people have less cash to spare, so charities have to work harder to raise funds.
If you don't offer at least a vaguely competitive salary, you'll end up with arseholes like me working for them.

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Big charities are big businesses, it always surprises me why people are shocked that their senior staff are paid the going rate for the positions
Yes, but they like to claim they are different when it suits them. As I know from personal experience.
Closed Thread