United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:30 AM
saffers

Default Toby Alderweireld

United want him.

Should we pay £50m for a soon to be 30 y/o defender?

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:34 AM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
United want him.

Yes.

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:35 AM
dunk

And spurs want to replace him with De Ligt, who is 18, for slightly cheaper.

Hm, wonder which we’ll go for..

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Red Al

Quote:
United want him.

No

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:43 AM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

De Ligt is still a project. Alderweireld you know what you'll get for 3/4 years.

Hard to be certain about defenders who are so young.

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Cream

You've seen how much Matic has improved the side. We need another grown up at the back.

Let the #@&%! squad battle it out to be his partner, then replace Tobes in a few years.

I barely know who this @#%&! is though.

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:51 AM
dunk

Quote:
De Ligt is still a project. Alderweireld you know what you'll get for 3/4 years.

Hard to be certain about defenders who are so young.
I’d pick De Ligt every time tbh. That’s CB sorted for 15 years if he even gets close to reaching his potential.

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
You've seen how much Matic has improved the side. We need another grown up at the back.

Let the #@&%! squad battle it out to be his partner, then replace Tobes in a few years.

I barely know who this @#%&! is though.
He's Belgian, which means he's good. You don't need to know anything else.

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:57 AM
puressence

Hes 29 and its not your money yes

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Coracao

Not sure an 18 year old centre back from the Dutch league is the way to go.

Unread 29-04-2018, 08:59 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
It’s a damn sight more interesting than a 29 year old from Spurs who seems to have barely played for 18 months that Sanchez has done alright for coming from Holland..

Danny Rose can £#%&! off for similar reasons.

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:05 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Bailly, lindelof and Tuanzebe are what? 23, 22 and 19?

Anyone with half a brain knows we need an experienced centre back to play with them that isn't shite.

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Coracao

Quote:
It’s a damn sight more interesting than a 29 year old from Spurs who seems to have barely played for 18 months that Sanchez has done alright for coming from Holland..

Danny Rose can £#%&! off for similar reasons.
Not sure I want interesting from a centre half. Someone who can do the basics well and organise a defence would be a good start.

And we already have players with potential for the position. A move to Utd for a player like De Ligt will likely stall progress, as he currently isn't good enough to start.

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Knockers

Smalling and Jones are not really any worse or better than all these incredible and experienced centre backs we assume other teams have got. There’s no such thing as really good defenders any more. If there were City would’ve bought them already.

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:11 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Bailly, lindelof and Tuanzebe are what? 23, 22 and 19?

Anyone with half a brain knows we need an experienced centre back to play with them that isn't shite.
Got at least 2 tbf, the pair of them were colossal last week in the semi.

I’d rather TFM and Tuanzebe got a chance tbf, but if we’re chucking £50m about I’d rather we didn’t buy a 29 year old and fund Spurs buying the potential.

It’s not as if Alderweireld has been the solid pillar of Spurs’ amazing defence either.

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Smalling and Jones are not really any worse or better than all these incredible and experienced centre backs we assume other teams have got. There’s no such thing as really good defenders any more. If there were City would’ve bought them already.
Smelling is error prone. Jones injury prone. Bailly batshit. Lindlehof...

We need a solid, mature centre back and have done since vidic and Rio left. Just one, that's all I ask.

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Ethers

Agree with Coracaoers here, interesting is not a quality I want in a centre back.

Have no issue with going for an older player at the back tbh, you know you’re still getting a few years at their peak out of them.

Our mistake has been going for forwards when they’re getting on a bit.

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:27 AM
sa7

Quote:

Get both

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:27 AM
AK14

Yes!

Get him signed up, he’s exactly the type of player we need.

Then if Spurs sign De Ligt as a replacement and he turns into a quality player sign him after a few years

Unread 29-04-2018, 09:47 AM
forwardirektion

Isn’t his buyout £25m and he’s not been playing because he won’t sign a new one?
Closed Thread