United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-01-2020, 01:49 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Agree.

But did think the subs came on a little too late tbh.
Possibly, but I'd imagine he was torn between keeping it at 1-0 and tight rather than softening the middle of the park and removing Williams with too long left. Besides, did anybody have any faith in those subs making an iota of difference? Our options are £#%&!ing atrocious (I know Greenwood will be great eventually, but only spare forward at 18 is unforgiveable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
All that is true but it’s not the full picture. Zonal marking on set pieces. No subs until 75 minutes. James staying on the pitch. Pereira. And that’s just from yesterday. Ole is dealing with a tight pile of shit but he doesn’t get a free pass.
Agreed on the marking. Wanted James on for his pace, but his confidence is clearly lacking atm and he looks knackered, and we don't have an alternative. Pereira grafted his arse off, but he goes to bits with the ball in the opposition half. Take him off and we're a much softer touch in the middle though, astounding a statement as that is.

We were up against a full strength Liverpool side in their absolute pomp whilst missing 3 of our best players and starting only 1 player that has scored for us in about 20 games. We were £#%&!ed from the outset.

Unread 20-01-2020, 01:52 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Truthman
Says he who says we should have signed that @#%&! Nasri

Fergie wanted him too tbf...

Unread 20-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
All that is true but it’s not the full picture. Zonal marking on set pieces. No subs until 75 minutes. James staying on the pitch. Pereira. And that’s just from yesterday. Ole is dealing with a tight pile of shit but he doesn’t get a free pass.
The zonal thing does piss me off. Of course he doesnt get a free pass. But bringing attacking subs on 10 mins later in a game your biggest rivals are absolutley hammering you on , is hardly a managerial sin. Esp since the subs arent exactly proven world beaters.

He has made mistakes . But the players he has a bigger problem. We have two CM in matic and fred. 2 CFs in martial and greenwood. 1 winger in james. 1 half decent CB in maguire( on his day)
1 ok Rb who has been below par attacking.

At full strength with no injuries we are a team who look like we are already on our last legs. Combine that with being average to begin win and its a recipe for disaster for any manager.

Unread 20-01-2020, 01:56 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Possibly, but I'd imagine he was torn between keeping it at 1-0 and tight rather than softening the middle of the park and removing Williams with too long left. Besides, did anybody have any faith in those subs making an iota of difference? Our options are f***ing atrocious (I know Greenwood will be great eventually, but only spare forward at 18 is unforgiveable).

Agreed on the marking. Wanted James on for his pace, but his confidence is clearly lacking atm and he looks knackered, and we don't have an alternative. Pereira grafted his arse off, but he goes to bits with the ball in the opposition half. Take him off and we're a much softer touch in the middle though, astounding a statement as that is.

We were up against a full strength Liverpool side in their absolute pomp whilst missing 3 of our best players and starting only 1 player that has scored for us in about 20 games. We were f***ed from the outset.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I just felt if the subs had come a little sooner when we had that purple patch we could have nicked something. As it was it felt as though Liverpool had weathered the storm (more of a slight breeze tbf) and settled down again.

Our options are rank though Nqat and I fear they’ll only get worse the longer the season goes on and we run more of the players into the ground. James and Fred will be the next two to pick up injuries is my bet.

Unread 20-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Zorg

Why does anyone care about what managers say in press conferences? They're a total and utter waste of time and I can't recall paying attention to any, apart from the exceptional funny ones like LVG, Rafa's 'facts' nonsense and 'youse are f_in idiots'. Ferguson had nothing but disdain for them and he was right. 'Boo hoo, I didn't like what the manager said'. So what
They're just a boring media obligation. The manager could just take a seat and say 'gibber gibber Frankenstein tangerine' and have exactly the same impact on the game.

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Why does anyone care about what managers say in press conferences? They're a total and utter waste of time and I can't recall paying attention to any, apart from the exceptional funny ones like LVG, Rafa's 'facts' nonsense and 'youse are f_in idiots'. Ferguson had nothing but disdain for them and he was right. 'Boo hoo, I didn't like what the manager said'. So what
They're just a boring media obligation. The manager could just take a seat and say 'gibber gibber Frankenstein tangerine' and have exactly the same impact on the game.
Its because it can be used to beat the manager. People have an agenda.

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:01 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Its because it can be used to beat the manager. People have an agenda.
Like Mourinho’s Sevilla comments?..

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:05 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Of all the examples you use the one that you know will get the most bites

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:05 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Of all the examples you use the one that you know will get the most bites

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:06 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Theres a difference in what he said and being annoyed than what ole said and getting annoyed.

All ole is doing is trying to stay positive. The team are mentally fragile.

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:13 PM
marlo

why some want to talk about the glazers and never ole....

shall we just ignore the important back room staff ole has surrounding him...

same ones that played rashford while he has been in pain.....resulting in him being out for the season.
constantly misdiagnosing pogba to the point he now has his own £#%&!ing medical team.

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:22 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
why some want to talk about the glazers and never ole....

shall we just ignore the important back room staff ole has surrounding him...

same ones that played rashford while he has been in pain.....resulting in him being out for the season.
Front three options for the season: Rashford, James, Martial & Greenwood. And you're asking why people are talking about the owners

Rashford wants to play and his selection has resulted in his best ever return for the club already. Great player and a great guy, not that you'd know it reading what you have had to say about him.

Quote:
constantly misdiagnosing pogba to the point he now has his own £#%&!ing medical team.
True, should have been diagnosed as a toxic snake the minute he walked through the door, the utter fraud. The only reason I hope he walks again is so we can cash in on him.

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:48 PM
boreez

Quote:
Things managers say publicly are the only insight we have into how they may be managing behind closed doors. It could be nothing of the sort, but we have little else to go on, especially when results are poor and we are trying to determine who we can moan about.

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
What Manchester United needed to plan for
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s list of problems to solve before the match on Sunday included:
  • How to beat a team which had won 30 of its previous 31 league matches
  • How to score against a defence which hadn’t conceded in six games
  • How to achieve this with a team second best in every position - and without key individuals
  • How to defend against specific threats and offer counter-attacking potential
  • How to prevent Trent Alexander-Arnold's creative influence and stop Andy Robertson causing overloads
Quote:
The shape and pressing plan made total sense. The problem was occasional lapses in concentration from United's players, a loose pass spoiling moves in the final third and at its most basic, how good Liverpool are.
Good read that. Ole set us up well in difficult circumstances, they were just better and far more flexible

Quote:
What else could Solskjaer have done?
Poor recruitment and scattered long term strategy has left faults in the foundations that Solskjaer and his staff are trying to address, but until this is fixed the manager can only work with what's available. United aren't a bad team but there is a marked difference in quality of player between their squad and Liverpool's which demands appropriate shifts in match strategy. Even Manchester City don't opt for their attacking, possession-based 4-3-3 against Liverpool for fear of defeat.

Watford sat deep and defended against Manchester United in their 2-0 win because it was the approach most likely to prevent them conceding goals and allowed for chances created on the counter-attack. United have to prepare for games against Liverpool, Manchester City, Leicester and Chelsea in the same manner.
All spot on that imo.

Unread 20-01-2020, 02:57 PM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Humiliated again yesterday apart from a 10 minute pathetic attempt at attacking which resulted in the other team scoring ...

But don’t worry
Ole has. “Good group of boys” who are “improving all the time” . We are “working hard in training” and “we have a plan that will take time”.

A manager who gets United, almost xenophobic transfer policy and sound bites about brining through academy players...some of you are getting exactly what you wanted and deserve...
You talk absolute %@#$&!s.

Unread 20-01-2020, 03:33 PM
ScarFace

This is sackable negligence from our manager

Knows he's gone in the summer...just flog the mongs until then

Quote:
Gives a glimpse into the mindset of the man, their plan, their opinion on players we KNOW are shit.

Unread 20-01-2020, 03:53 PM
windy waffles

Forgot that the Jamie O'Hara was a spinal surgeon.

Unread 20-01-2020, 04:00 PM
MUFC One Love

Ole has got us back on the right track imo. He is getting rid of the #@&%!s and trying to get players in who want to be here. We actually look like we have a plan on the pitch at times too. It's been a bit of a mess for 6 years but now we seem to have a strategy. Long term I'm not sure he is the right man, he has set the wheels in motion but someone else will need to take it over. Has to be Pochettino. He can spot a player and works well with players who aren't 'stars' to build a team, getting the best out of them.

Don't think he would accept the job atm though because behind the scenes something is changing with the finances. They don't want to spend money.

Unread 20-01-2020, 04:02 PM
ScarFace

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Forgot that the Jamie O'Hara was a spinal surgeon.
omg its that gimp off big brother than got dropped by Kim Woodburn.

Unread 20-01-2020, 04:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Ole has got us back on the right track imo.
Closed Thread