United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 08-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Fat Al

Default Glad to see our MPs have their priorities right

A few nutters get a bit gobby outside Parliament & 50 MPs shit their panties and write to the Old Bill to demand they protect them (mebbe they'd be enough Dibble to help if you cunts hadn't cut their numbers).

Meanwhile, 14 ... yes FOURTEEN MPs turn up to the HoC to discuss a UN report that 14,000,000 people in the UK are living in poverty.
That's 1 MP for every 1,000,000 people living in poverty.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...poverty/08/01/

Unread 08-01-2019, 11:37 PM
armchair

Unread 08-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Hands of Scone

14 million people in poverty? In the UK? Thatís one hell of a definition of poverty you got there, cowboy.

Unread 08-01-2019, 11:40 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
14 million people in poverty? In the UK? Thatís one hell of a definition of poverty you got there, cowboy.
Not me pardner, the United Nations.

Unread 08-01-2019, 11:48 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Not me pardner, the United Nations.
Well, philip Alston, a professional human rights lawyer anyway.

Quote:
How do we define poverty?

Definitions of poverty are split by the UN into two broad categories: extreme poverty, which is having access to less than $1 per day; and income poverty where a family's income fails to meet a government's established threshold that differs across countries.

The UK government currently has no poverty threshold in place, which has prompted the creation of an independent Social Metrics Commission to establish a new measurement of poverty for the UK.

Alston is using the benchmark of "relative poverty", looking at the percentage of people living with less than 55% of the median income, once costs such as childcare, housing, debt and disability have been taken into account.
No wonder no cunt turned up. Itís a ridiculous claim.

Unread 09-01-2019, 07:34 AM
My Name is Keith

Well whether you agree with the approach to the analysis or not shouldnít prevent mpís from recognising that problems of acute poverty exist in this country and that the disparity between the rich and poor is at its greatest and is growing.

Labourís manifesto is wholly based on that theme so what excuse that shower of shit has for not turning up I have no idea. Not surprised at all that Rees mogg isnít there to put forward the plight of inner city Somerset but our northern mpís shouldnít be showing such disdain.

Shameful

Unread 09-01-2019, 07:48 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith View Post
Well whether you agree with the approach to the analysis or not shouldnít prevent mpís from recognising that problems of acute poverty exist in this country and that the disparity between the rich and poor is at its greatest and is growing.

Labourís manifesto is wholly based on that theme so what excuse that shower of shit has for not turning up I have no idea. Not surprised at all that Rees mogg isnít there to put forward the plight of inner city Somerset but our northern mpís shouldnít be showing such disdain.

Shameful
Bit of a snide dig at the south west yokel community there Keith, they do have their problems you know

FYI Jaffo was in Waitrose on New Yearís Eve and they had sold out of Avacados, his children had to make do with hummus

Last edited by no fun; 09-01-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Unread 09-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Hands of Scone

They arenít measuring poverty though they are measuring inequality.

If you doubled everyones income today the amount of people in Ďrelative povertyí would stay exactly the same. Similarly giving those in poverty no extra cash but sacking the top earners would alleviate this poverty. Itís nonsense whichever way you cut it.

I agree about labour though. They love this type of bollocks and even they canít be arsed. Our elected representative are arseholes in the main.

It helps no one to redefine poverty this way. Concentrate on people in actual poverty and maintain credibility.

Last edited by Hands of Scone; 09-01-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Unread 09-01-2019, 08:15 AM
jaffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
Bit of a snide dig at the south west yokel community there Keith, they do have their problems you know

FYI Jaffo was in Waitrose on New Yearís Eve and they had sold out of Avacados, his children had to make do with hummus
Thatís surprisingly accurate but actually I managed to get the last pack. Made some guacamole for NYE

Unread 09-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Harri Jaffa

Love a bit of guacamole

Anyhoo. There are figures showing that more people are in need of help than ever in the last 10 years, and it's getting worse. So we can complain about how this information is presented and by whom if we want, but that's what the powers would be would love us to do...