Closed Thread

Unread 07-01-2020, 07:51 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
"How's the car coming along, is it fixed yet?"

"Well, sort of."

"How do you mean?"

"well, we gave it to the best mechanic we could and he couldn't fix it so i sacked him."

"ok"

"Then we went to the next best available mechanic and he sort of fixed it but then he gave up halfway because I started quibbling about the quote."

"So what's happening now?"

"We've given the job to a monkey with a spanner"

"how's he doing?"

"Well he's not complained although he has eaten the upholstery and pooed on the windscreen"

"Do you not think you'd better give it to another, qualified mechanic?"

"Pffft. You obviously have no faith in monkeys pal."
ffs sparky go for a drive pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
perfect ..every face perfect

Unread 07-01-2020, 09:47 AM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
We're 5th in the league to be fair.

People are talking like we're 13th.

This squad has so much scope for improvement that you have to imagine we'll be better next season. Under Ole.

Replacing Pogba (if only to stop the bullshit) and Lingard will be massive. Hopefully they're just two of a handful of notable changes.
League position in all honesty is about where this team should be, so in that respect it does contradict the 'Ole out' argument slightly.

However looking at the bigger picture the performances, results against shit sides and general improvement seen is shocking.

Id argue we are only 5th because everyone else has turned to shit at the same time so a bit of luck in that respect. If they hadnt Ole would have us much lower.

Unread 07-01-2020, 10:43 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
League position in all honesty is about where this team should be, so in that respect it does contradict the 'Ole out' argument slightly.

However looking at the bigger picture the performances, results against shit sides and general improvement seen is shocking.

Id argue we are only 5th because everyone else has turned to shit at the same time so a bit of luck in that respect. If they hadnt Ole would have us much lower.
Funny, when Sheff Utd were 5th and we couldn't beat them, the Ole outers were saying we should aspire to be like them.

We've had some very good results against some good sides, inconsistency can be solved. Ole and the coaching staff have work to do on that front.

Might need to freshen up the backroom at some point, but that's entirely on Ole. If he's learnt anything from Fergie, it's that there's no room for sentimentality.

Unread 07-01-2020, 10:45 AM
believe

Quote:
Funny, when Sheff Utd were 5th and we couldn't beat them, the Ole outers were saying we should aspire to be like them.

We've had some very good results against some good sides, inconsistency can be solved. Ole and the coaching staff don't have work to do on that front. Might need to freshen up the backroom at some point....
So have Watford.

Unread 07-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
When ole came in and we went on the 14 game unbeaten run no one ever mentioned the quality of the squad, only that Mourinho had managed it badly.
That should tell you more about the players. They have the abilty. Its not like ole will be saying "hey dont play like you did when we were winning"

With regards to why we are in the current mess.
40% woodward
35% players
25% ole.

Yet every 3 years we seem to be changing the manager. At worst ole will have gotten rid of the bad players( still about 7 to go). He isnt the best manager. But the players and woodward are more to blame

Unread 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
So have Watford.
Who are 19th.

We're not doing as bad as people are making out. We're where we should be and hoping for better.

Some think it's a forlorn hope and that he'll never get there. Given that chopping and changing has led us to where we are, we might as well hunker down and see what happens.

Unread 07-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
We're 5th in the league to be fair.

People are talking like we're 13th.

This squad has so much scope for improvement that you have to imagine we'll be better next season. Under Ole.

Replacing Pogba (if only to stop the bullshit) and Lingard will be massive. Hopefully they're just two of a handful of notable changes.
Good point.

Windy predicted an 8th place finish this season, Sparky predicted 7th and must've been extremely shocked (in a positive way) at our league position at Christmas.

Quote:
There isn’t a single person on here who genuinely believes deep down we can finish in the top 2. Anyone saying any different is just trolling.

I’ll be shocked if we’re higher than 8th at Christmas.
So expectations are being exceeded halfway through the season, but some are as unhappy as ever.

Unread 07-01-2020, 11:12 AM
Sparky***

Yes, a whopping 2 points clear of 8th. My expectations have been blown away.

Unread 07-01-2020, 11:14 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Expectations are a good start. Sounds like your car’s £#%&!ed too.

Unread 07-01-2020, 11:17 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

At this point of the season I find it pretty easy to see things from different perspectives. We are in progress, but Ole has made the right signings. Yeah but we got beat by Watford. Did you not see us beat City and Spurs? What about the total lack of any plan or structure to the team whenever we play sides that sit back and wait?

Comes a point where some people just regurgitate their posts over and over (and sometimes they’re really long).

I’m ole in, btw, but am taking a more “let’s wait and see” approach now, as I’ve already said what I have to say (thus far).

Unread 07-01-2020, 11:40 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly

At this point of the season I find it pretty easy to see things from different perspectives. We are in progress, but Ole has made the right signings. Yeah but we got beat by Watford. Did you not see us beat City and Spurs? What about the total lack of any plan or structure to the team whenever we play sides that sit back and wait?

Comes a point where some people just regurgitate their posts over and over (and sometimes they’re really long).

I’m ole in, btw, but am taking a more “let’s wait and see” approach now, as I’ve already said what I have to say (thus far).
This is my issue with it all - no problem with sparky believe and windy et al expressing their doubts/wanting him booted etc - most of us share some concerns to a greater or lesser extent- it’s just the frequency that they’re aired that gets me - as if anything will dramatically change one week to the next.

It’s Japanese water torture.

The easiest thing to do is just not read it, which works pretty well tbf, but whenever I peer in, it’s the same shit.

Zzzzzzzzzz

Unread 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
This is my issue with it all - no problem with sparky believe and windy et al expressing their doubts/wanting him booted etc - most of us share some concerns to a greater or lesser extent- it’s just the frequency that they’re aired that gets me - as if anything will dramatically change one week to the next.

The easiest thing to do is just not read it, which works pretty well tbf, but whenever I peer in, it’s the same shit.

Zzzzzzzzzz
It goes the other way too though. Have lost count of the essay posts detailing why Ole should stay and why people who disagree are wrong. Just seems condescending in its own way, like top red top trumps.

Only difference that will be made is if everyone stops going to the matches. That isn’t happening so in the meantime, if we play badly, people deserve a moan, if we play well, get the champagne out and enjoy it.

Unread 07-01-2020, 11:56 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
It goes the other way too though. Have lost count of the essay posts detailing why Ole should stay and why people who disagree are wrong. Just seems condescending in its own way, like top red top trumps.

Only difference that will be made is if everyone stops going to the matches. That isn’t happening so in the meantime, if we play badly, people deserve a moan, if we play well, get the champagne out and enjoy it.
If people couldn’t do it to get rid of the Glazers then they’re not going to do it to get rid of Ole.

Unread 07-01-2020, 12:00 PM
silv

We will have to start winning things soon or the business model will collapse. Liverpool are on the up and could quite easily replace us as the sponsors darling.

Unread 07-01-2020, 12:04 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
dont look now

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...club-in-world/

Unread 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Four points off 10th. Closer to the relegation zone than we are to 3rd. Not sure I’d be holding on to fifth place as some kind of achievement. That could change very quickly.

I still fancy us to end up in the CL places but it’s increasingly feeling like hope over expectation.

On Ole, I want him to be a success. I just don’t think he will be. Of course give him time, but what’s the cut off point? Two years without CL? Three years without a trophy? It’s not sustainable unless we see real change in performances (and most likely personnel).

Unread 07-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Four points off 10th. Closer to the relegation zone than we are to 3rd. Not sure I’d be holding on to fifth place as some kind of achievement. That could change very quickly.

I still fancy us to end up in the CL places but it’s increasingly feeling like hope over expectation.

On Ole, I want him to be a success. I just don’t think he will be. Of course give him time, but what’s the cut off point? Two years without CL? Three years without a trophy? It’s not sustainable unless we see real change in performances (and most likely personnel).
Next season imo, and hope we can make some serious inroads in renovating the squad. Failure to do that then it doesn't matter who's in charge, we're going to be £#%&!ed.

Unread 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Next season imo, and hope we can make some serious inroads in renovating the squad. Failure to do that then it doesn't matter who's in charge, we're going to be £#%&!ed.
He won't be here next season.

Unread 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Zzzzzzzzzz
Oh i'm terribly sorry my discussing the current state of the football club on a football forum is upsetting for you.

Don't discuss the results everyone as Keith finds it all a bit boorish.

Perhaps we could have a poetry section where we express our frustrations in the form of prose? Or a league where we evaluate results based on some 'par' system? And then ban people who start slagging off the team or pointing out how shit things are? Then change the name of the forum Red and White Stretford End.

Unread 07-01-2020, 12:35 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
End of next season? That’s a lot of depressing football if we are still as bad as we have been under Ole so far. But you could argue that it’s fair. He needs at least the same time given to LVG and Mourinho. It’s also fair though to argue that he was qualified to be a temporary manager and nothing more and that keeping him around is cutting off the proverbial nose.

Personally, I think he’ll be around next season but if we have a similar start as we did this one, he’ll be out before Christmas.
Closed Thread