Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-05-2020, 09:30 AM
windy waffles

Unread 01-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Genuinely sad to see he is having a hard time of things.

We're all behind you mate
What's his username?

Unread 01-05-2020, 06:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
What's his username?
measlyshark?

Unread 02-05-2020, 07:43 AM
solidstool

Hoddle showed what a poor man manager he was with Cole.

All strikers are to an extent, but Cole was a massive confidence player. When things were going well, and he believed himself, he was always going to score lots of goals. But I always felt a few missed chances, and it got to his head more than most, rattled his confidence and he might go on a bad run.

This is where Fergie knew how to handle different personalities. Some people respond well to a %@#$&!ing, some people need reassuring.

Fergie would let him know he had faith in him and believed in him which is what he would have needed to hear. He responded well to that management and was brilliant for united.
What did Hoddle think that six chances for a goal shit was going to do to his confidence and performance?

Unread 02-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstool

All strikers are to an extent, but Cole was a massive confidence player. When things were going well, and he believed himself, he was always going to score lots of goals. But I always felt a few missed chances, and it got to his head more than most, rattled his confidence and he might go on a bad run.

This is where Fergie knew how to handle different personalities. Some people respond well to a %@#$&!ing, some people need reassuring.

Fergie would let him know he had faith in him and believed in him which is what he would have needed to hear. He responded well to that management and was brilliant for united.
What did Hoddle think that six chances for a goal shit was going to do to his confidence and performance?
The bloke believes in reincarnation so I think trying to infer some sort of logical thought process is a fool's errand.

Unread 02-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Mr_Ed

Apologies if already posted...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-a-total-blur

Unread 02-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstool

6 chances a goal always made me laugh. Was he expecting to be scoring 60 or 70 a season then ?

That said, England didn't really need Cole with the options he had. And he never performed when given a chance anyway.

Unread 02-05-2020, 03:34 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Nice one pal. Hadn't seen that...

Unread 02-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Dr Stranger

Loads of strikers are like that. More are like that than not.

Kane is like that too. Misses £#%&!ing bucket loads for Spurs. It was just a reputation that seemed to stick with Cole.

Unread 02-05-2020, 05:46 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Loads of strikers are like that. More are like that than not.

Kane is like that too. Misses £#%&!ing bucket loads for Spurs. It was just a reputation that seemed to stick with Cole.
Purely because of the @#%&! Hoddle.

Unread 02-05-2020, 06:37 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Purely because of the @#%&! Hoddle.
United fans were saying it before he spoke tbf.

That 1995 game against West Ham is where it all started nqat.

Unread 02-05-2020, 08:21 PM
rogieop

Any other links to the second part of that programme?

Unread 03-05-2020, 02:27 PM
utd99

He got the “chances” because of his incredible movement, positioning and work rate. If Cole needed six how many does Sterling need, twenty? And all the pundits are falling over themselves to tell how good he is.

Unread 03-05-2020, 02:39 PM
tatty

He did have some appalling misses though and I can distinctly remember in the '96 cup final him making a huge mess of a chance.

I wanted him sold and if Shearer has signed I reckon he'd have been gone that summer.

The fact he was poor to start with doesn't change the fact he was outstanding in the 2nd half of his time with us.

Unread 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
He did have some appalling misses though and I can distinctly remember in the '96 cup final him making a huge mess of a chance.

I wanted him sold and if Shearer has signed I reckon he'd have been gone that summer.

The fact he was poor to start with doesn't change the fact he was outstanding in the 2nd half of his time with us.
And recorded a song about it.

Unread 03-05-2020, 03:16 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
Any other links to the second part of that programme?
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5tlm8q

?

Unread 03-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Stickman

Quote:

Miskicked a volley didn’t he when one on one? Had a lot more time from memory...

Unread 03-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Cream

Got that strange personality type of low self confidence/killer.

Who would expect such a mild mannered, reticent chap to release his own rap single?

Wracked with self pity - an awful trait to shoulder. See also Memphis Depay.

Any road up. He was massively successful and fondly remembered. Needs to remind himself what a born winner he is.

Unread 03-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Norris Cole

It was around the back end of 97 when he really started to come good. He bagged a Garrick I think against Barnsley, and then the in the week after another against afternoons, albeit a very scabby one .

Scored some big goals from then on. I recall one at St James Park at Xmas being amongst them...all to no avail obviously as that injury crisis ruined the season

Unread 03-05-2020, 06:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

He struggled throughout most of the 1995/96 season - the papers were gleefully calling him a "one trick pony" who had been "found out".

Tho there was still that goal at Sunderland that started our FA Cup run, and then helping clinch the title at Boro
Closed Thread