lesson 1
'put the phone down.'
'less dancing, more running'
'mr shorts, here is p45'
'young, ffs'

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ter-united-job

Unread 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Sapien

Now yesterday’s Honda thread makes more sense.

Unread 01-10-2019, 09:11 PM
d_knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Now yesterday’s Honda thread makes more sense.
Is that still zooming along?
Sorry wrong brand

Unread 01-10-2019, 09:58 PM
ScarFace

We could sign a peak fergie via time machine and he'd fail with this background set up.

Unread 01-10-2019, 10:25 PM
armchair

i'd take ole doing 2-3 years as manager then moving upstair to football director.

the stuff he's done as manager (bring in youngish uk players, get rid of deadwood) has been football director-like.

Unread 01-10-2019, 10:33 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
i'd take ole doing 2-3 years as manager then moving upstair to football director.

the stuff he's done as manager (bring in youngish uk players, get rid of deadwood) has been football director-like.
It's true tbf. Feels like he's laid out a vision, made some good calls on squad changes and has the patience to see it through.

Just doesn't really know how to coach or motivate players maybe

Unread 01-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Jethro

Spurs by Friday

Unread 01-10-2019, 10:55 PM
AK14

Quote:

As long as it doesn’t end too badly for him here I’d definitely be up for that.

SAF was basically the DoF/sporting director and it’s something we haven’t looked to replace since he retired. I could easily see Ole being the type of person that would do well in that type of role.

Maybe if we’d have kept Rene and Shorts on as coaches and just hired a hands on DoF in 2013 we wouldn’t be in the mess we find ourselves...

Or it could have gone much worse tbf

Unread 01-10-2019, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
As long as it doesn’t end too badly for him here I’d definitely be up for that.

SAF was basically the DoF/sporting director and it’s something we haven’t looked to replace since he retired. I could easily see Ole being the type of person that would do well in that type of role.

Maybe if we’d have kept Rene and Shorts on as coaches and just hired a hands on DoF in 2013 we wouldn’t be in the mess we find ourselves...

Or it could have gone much worse tbf
Hard to see how it could have been *much* worse, really........

Unread 01-10-2019, 11:31 PM
d_knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Hard to see how it could have been *much* worse, really........
Woodward says challenge accepted and signs a lifetime contract

Unread 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Or even manager-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's true tbf. Feels like he's laid out a vision, made some good calls on squad changes and has the patience to see it through.

Just doesn't really know how to coach or motivate players maybe
Did fergie not know how to coach or motivate players 86-91?

Unread 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Fergie got lucky. I don’t think that type of luck exists in football any more.

Unread 02-10-2019, 12:43 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Agreed. Can’t remember the last time a team won the PL against all odds. Literally never happens.

Unread 02-10-2019, 01:18 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Agreed. Can’t remember the last time a team won the PL against all odds. Literally never happens.
Leicester?

They were great that year but the other club were also piss poor. Freak of nature.

Unread 02-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Leicester?

They were great that year but the other club were also piss poor. Freak of nature.
Nice one pal. Think he was struggling there.

Unread 02-10-2019, 01:53 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
How?

Unread 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Or even manager-like.

It was the ‘80s mate. Nobody knew how to coach.

Unread 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
How?
(i) Taylor report - United were among the first to use the forced redevelopment to increase the stadium to increase revenue (via the PLC)
(ii) Better marketing: Sponsorship and merchandising increased revenue beyond other clubs, creating a buzz which helped attract players
(iii) Decline of the biggest rival in Liverpool: who after decades of stability through a consistent slow churn of managers stagnated then imploded: after a philosophy of bringing through 1-2 youth/reserves and buying 1-2 top players each year, managers in quick succession came and went, each took a scatter-gun policy to recruitment (see any similarities here?)

Impacting later, European football's "home-grown" rule led to the introduction of the class of 92 into the first team - half the squad cost nothing, more could be spent buying players for other areas.

Now the £100M a year every PL club gets from TV means every club has good players and it is harder to get the very best, even the dross costs far more.

United aren't competing against only one other club who have a big investment and challenge for a couple of years as it was in the 90s-00s (Blackburn, Newcastle, Arsenal, Leeds, Chelsea, Man City), there's genuine competition from 10 clubs in England, and as many again in Europe.

Unread 02-10-2019, 02:18 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
(i) Taylor report - United were among the first to use the forced redevelopment to increase the stadium to increase revenue (via the PLC)
(ii) Better marketing: Sponsorship and merchandising increased revenue beyond other clubs, creating a buzz which helped attract players
(iii) Decline of the biggest rival in Liverpool: who after decades of stability through a consistent slow churn of managers stagnated then imploded: after a philosophy of bringing through 1-2 youth/reserves and buying 1-2 top players each year, managers in quick succession came and went, each took a scatter-gun policy to recruitment (see any similarities here?)

Impacting later, European football's "home-grown" rule led to the introduction of the class of 92 into the first team - half the squad cost nothing, more could be spent buying players for other areas.

Now the £100M a year every PL club gets from TV means every club has good players and it is harder to get the very best, even the dross costs far more.

United aren't competing against only one other club who have a big investment and challenge for a couple of years as it was in the 90s-00s (Blackburn, Newcastle, Arsenal, Leeds, Chelsea, Man City), there's genuine competition from 10 clubs in England, and as many again in Europe.

Unread 02-10-2019, 03:13 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
How?
He had a board that was more patient than most would have been, even back then. I’m not sure a board like that exists anywhere among the biggest clubs in Europe any longer. Our fortunes took an upturn just in the nick of time.
Closed Thread