United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-04-2020, 08:59 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Football Andy Cole

Criminally underrated at the time. One of my favourite United strikers. Was ahead of his time the way he ran the lines and the other work he did. Combination with Yorky obvs. Great finisher. One of my favourite goals in final league game against spurs 99. Having a hard time of it currently

Quote:
“There are many, many times when I want to give up, period, not just on life but give up on everything,” Cole says.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-a-total-blur

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gnax4 - all the goals

- man united life story part 1
- man united life story part 2

Unread 30-04-2020, 09:10 AM
waynes ear's

incredible striker and a properly nice guy.

Top top red

Unread 30-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

Top top red

This. Ridiculously underrated tbh.

Unread 30-04-2020, 09:19 AM
flixton

West Ham 1995....

Unread 30-04-2020, 09:53 AM
AK14

My favourite player of that period

Top player.

Unread 30-04-2020, 10:01 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
West Ham 1995....

Unread 30-04-2020, 10:13 AM
BarryX

Quote:

Top top red
This 100%. Top bloke irl, from the couple of times I've had encounters with him. Saw him chatting with Teddy in Madrid, too, which was nice considering the history between them. Brilliant striker.

Unread 30-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Dr Stranger

I loved him for how he developed his game. He seemed lost when he first came but he grew into the club and his role.

You've gotta love him for his work rate and his selflessness as he developed.... but I always felt things came harder for him than other strikers. He often seemed uncomfortable or off balance, shots would bobble in sometimes. He seemed like someone who always had to work at it. Compared to someone like, say, Ruud, who was just a natural £#%&!ing beast of a finisher.

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but it was always a gut feeling...... didn't stop me loving in during that 96-99 period. It meant he put the team first too. Someone like Shearer was a better finisher, but it was always all about him. Cole never took pens, never took the limelight. Team player. Helped by the fact that the ABUs thought he was shit.

Loves United too

Unread 30-04-2020, 10:51 AM
believe

One of our best players of the last twenty years, there is nqat. I've met him a few times too out here and he's a lovely bloke to boot.

I was in Alder Hey when he signed and I made a poster by taking a Giggs poster and replacing the head with Cole's, all from SHOOT. It was by my hospital bed when Dave Watson came over to me and sat for nearly two hours with me talking about him and various other football stuff. It was a great day.

Unread 30-04-2020, 10:53 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
One of our best players of the last twenty years, there is nqat. I've met him a few times too out here and he's a lovely bloke to boot.

I was in Alder Hey when he signed and I made a poster by taking a Giggs poster and replacing the head with Cole's, all from SHOOT. It was by my hospital bed when Dave Watson came over to me and sat for nearly two hours with me talking about him and various other football stuff. It was a great day.
Shoot > Match

Unread 30-04-2020, 11:52 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

did Dave not say anything about a black guys head on a white guys body?

Unread 30-04-2020, 12:00 PM
tatty

I thought we'd bought a lemon for the first couple of seasons and it wasn't really until 98/99 that I could see a different side to his play.

I'm no judge though...Berbatov infuriated me and I was glad to see the back of him.

Unread 30-04-2020, 12:00 PM
believe

Quote:
did Dave not say anything about a black guys head on a white guys body?

It was the reason he came over

Ps white guy?

Unread 30-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
One of my favourite goals in final league game against spurs 99.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/68377

Same. If the likes of Gianfranco £#%&!ing Zola done that we'd never have heard the end of it.

Sublime goal. Absolute top red was big Andy. Hope things start picking up for him

Unread 30-04-2020, 01:06 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop

Same. If the likes of Gianfranco £#%&!ing Zola done that we'd never have heard the end of it.

Sublime goal. Absolute top red was big Andy. Hope things start picking up for him
Health wise, I presume? Haven't heard much of/from him as of late.

Unread 30-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Red Santos

Divided alot of fans from 1995-1998

With his hefty price tag was made scapegoat by the media after Upton Park '95 and was ridiculed at every opportunity by his critics.

I loved him, (even though I wanted Shearer signed in '96 to play up top with Eric)

Improved his game every year which was very satisfying to watch. Terrific attitude on the pitch. Good team player, excellent movement and sharp in front of goal...so many great memories

Unread 30-04-2020, 02:16 PM
otbarney

That God bothering @#%&! Hoddle nearly destroyed him with that "He needs six shots to score" shite.

Unread 30-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Unread 30-04-2020, 02:58 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop

Stunning goal. And also in the context of the league, very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
That God bothering @#%&! Hoddle nearly destroyed him with that "He needs six shots to score" shite.
£#%&!ing criminal thing to say.

Unread 30-04-2020, 06:33 PM
red in cumbria

Genuinely sad to see he is having a hard time of things.

We're all behind you mate
Closed Thread