Gabby 7 13.73%
Patrice 44 86.27%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 17-05-2007, 10:04 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
They only possible reason I could see Heinze getting the nod is because all Chelsea seem to do is get the ball to Cashley and knock a long diaganol ball to Drogba.

Having said that, Evra has improved physically and has got a very good leap so I don't think it will be too much of a problem.
I'd agree that Chelseas Wimbledon impression shouldn't be a reason for playing Gabby ahead of Evra, in fact the ONLY reason would be injury for me.

Unread 17-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Tiberian

Considering we will play Fletcher in midfield, and Rooney up front by himself, we need attacking full backs to give Giggs and Ronaldo options.

I expect Heinze to play, it will be a defensive choice to combat the aerial threat, but if Fergie is really going to go out and look to win the match Evra is the natural choice.

Despite a lot of good football this season Fergie has reverted to cautious mode in the big games, especially domestically.

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:50 AM
n48

what odds on Fletch to score the winner on Saturday?

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Baron

Evra has to play, Heinze's been O'Pie-esque at times this season at left back, marginally better in the centre. He's even losing 50-50's, something that was absolutely unthinkable in his first year.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:01 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I'd agree that Chelseas Wimbledon impression shouldn't be a reason for playing Gabby ahead of Evra, in fact the ONLY reason would be injury for me.
Maybe a lack of match fitness would twist your arm, Bedders?

I think Evra is exhibiting plenty of that.

Ferge tends to give players the nod when they have games, and therefore momentum, under their belts.
Gabby certainly has that over Evra.

Personally, I won't be too bothered either way.

I'll have reservations whoever plays!

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:02 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
what odds on Fletch to score the winner on Saturday?
Probably better odds than you think.

Personally, I think Chelsea will win 1-0 in a tight, tense and bad tempered game.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:04 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Maybe a lack of match fitness would twist your arm, Bedders?

I think Evra is exhibiting plenty of that.

Ferge tends to give players the nod when they have games, and therefore momentum, under their belts.
Gabby certainly has that over Evra.

Personally, I won't be too bothered either way.

I'll have reservations whoever plays!
I think he was excellent against West Ham, he's had another week training, I see no reason he shouldn't be well up for it,.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:07 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
I think he was excellent against West Ham, he's had another week training, I see no reason he shouldn't be well up for it,.
I don't doubt he'll be up for it, attitude-wise. That's not the same as being ready though.

My concern is throwing him into such a huge game (which will be very very competitive) with very little match practice and after looking considerably rusty, if not poor.

Like I say though, either way I'm not too bothered.

For me, the bigger decision is whether to play Smith in a 4-4-2 (ish) or Fletcher in a 5 man midfield.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:12 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I don't doubt he'll be up for it, attitude-wise. That's not the same as being ready though.

My concern is throwing him into such a huge game (which will be very very competitive) with very little match practice and after looking considerably rusty, if not poor.

Like I say though, either way I'm not too bothered.

For me, the bigger decision is whether to play Smith in a 4-4-2 (ish) or Fletcher in a 5 man midfield.
He didn't look rusty or poor in any way against the Irons? I don't get you, are you harking back to Everton, his only bad game of the season?

Anyway as to your other point, without wishing to compromise tomorrows official team thread, you play Fletcher, he deserves it.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:21 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
He didn't look rusty or poor in any way against the Irons? I don't get you, are you harking back to Everton, his only bad game of the season?

Anyway as to your other point, without wishing to compromise tomorrows official team thread, you play Fletcher, he deserves it.
My only problem with playing Fletch is that Rooney then can't 'float' as much.

I don't think Evra was too impressive against West Ham TBH.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't poor, I just think he's a game or two away from his best. A little rusty. Touch not quite there, one or two mistimed challenges - that sort of thing.

We can't afford for anyone not being at their sharpest.

Heinze, however, just isn't as good. I don't really buy into this idea that he's more combative than Evra. Evra is tough little bastard and can leap well. I think Heinze arrives on the cover better than Evra though.

It's neither here nor there. My fear if Evra plays is that he's not match fit and my fear if Heinze plays is that he's a ticking time bomb.
But Chelsea don't play with much width so it's not an area of the pitch I see the game being won and lost.
The two defences and the midfield battle is far more important.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:26 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
My only problem with playing Fletch is that Rooney then can't 'float' as much.

Yup but the simple fact is Saha's latest case of brittle body disease has robbed us of a genuine option here. I can't see Smith getting any change out of Terry and Essien or Carvalho and he certainly won't get you a goal so he'd essentially be a waste of a shirt.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:26 PM
violater

the left back for the final should be

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:27 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater
the left back for the final should be
Is that Kriss or Kross you joker.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:30 PM
violater

Quote:
Is that Kriss or Kross you joker.
thats our versatile young winger kieren richardson.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:32 PM
S/Side.Red

I didn't think Evra was good against West Ham. He isn't the type of player who needs a rest six days before a cup final. I think he was taken off because he was still struggling, which is why I remember calling the substitution before it happened, even though it was Giggs coming on and Richardson seemed the normal switch.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:32 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
thats our versatile young winger kieren richardson.
Rubbish he's right here, now which one is he?[YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]YdUpCaF6Fbs[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:35 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Yup but the simple fact is Saha's latest case of brittle body disease has robbed us of a genuine option here. I can't see Smith getting any change out of Terry and Essien or Carvalho and he certainly won't get you a goal so he'd essentially be a waste of a shirt.

Benefits of Smith:
- The ball 'sticks'.
- He'll chase, hassle etc in what should be a high tempo game in which both sides will be worked to the limit.
- His touch is assured and his passing neat.
- He'll allow Rooney more freedom to 'float'- He's good in the air

Drawbacks of Smith:
- Scholes and Carrick will have to cope with Lampard and two of Diarra/Mikel/Makelele without the help of Fletcher
- He's slow
- His movement is average
- He doesn't score enough

(Biggest factors are in bold)

I think the decision rests on where Fergie thinks we need more punch. In the midfield or up front.

Fletcher just gets the nod for me. If we dictate the midfield then we have a great chance.

The margins between us and Chelsea are very very little. Therefore I can see the difference being in whoever wins the personal battles. I'd fancy Fletcher to do his job more than I'd fancy Smith to cause Terry problems.
Terry will be up for a scrap. Pace and movement is more likely to cause him problems.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:36 PM
violater

i used to love kriss kross. i met them when i was younger it atlanta.

Unread 17-05-2007, 12:38 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
i used to love kriss kross. i met them when i was younger it atlanta.
Do you know Lithonia?

Unread 17-05-2007, 01:09 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Do you know Lithonia?
been to vilnius a few times.

evra is clearly not fully fit and a run out against wham in a meaningless game (for us) is very different to a cup final against chelsea. it will be gabby, and i'd expect it to be his final game for us.
Closed Thread