United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-01-2017, 04:35 PM
sa7

Who gives a shit. Only the corrupt and international sex cases are interested in the thing.

Unread 10-01-2017, 04:40 PM
ZiggyStardust

International football

Unread 10-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's £#%&!ing dead now anyway since they gave it to Russia and Qatar.
This.

It's not just a money thing either IMO. The magic of the World Cup died long ago. I was watching footage from some old tournaments recently - Mexico 1970, Maradona in '86, Brazil vs Italy in '82 with Zico, Socrates Rossi and Gentile. Baggio at USA '94, Holland vs Argentina at France '98.

There's no rose-tinted glasses in thinking that the tournament was better back then; it was just better, just like the Champions League was better in the late 90s/early 2000s compared to now.

The players were better, and the football was more exciting. It's not the same anymore. Ruined. And it will never be the same again.

Unread 10-01-2017, 04:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38565246

48 teams. 16 groups of 3. Every game can go to pens.

Utterly hideous idea. If having it in £#%&!ing bastard Qatar isn't enough to kill it on its own, adding that certainly will.

Unread 10-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Utterly hideous idea. If having it in £#%&!ing bastard Qatar isn't enough to kill it on its own, adding that certainly will.
every team playing for a draw then to win it on pens. Great entertainment.

Unread 10-01-2017, 04:50 PM
itisme_panaflex

The group stages should be absolutely thrilling.

I genuinely hope it is a complete disaster. Ideally before the tournament begins. And fifa disband.

Would probably need a major world conflict for that to happen but I'm willing to take it.

Unread 10-01-2017, 04:52 PM
red in cumbria

As I said a bit ago, a straight knockout of 64 teams (seeded if needs be, to stop the "big" countries whining too much) would be much better than this shite.

Unread 10-01-2017, 05:14 PM
irk

Football in general has become a big pile of homegnised shite. National teams don't have their own styles anymore. I remember watching the likes of Brazil and Holland back In the 70s and 80s when they were exciting and different. Every team could be any other team these days. The no hopers are so fit and physical they can turn a game into a defensive shitfest for 90 minutes.

Unread 10-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Football in general has become a big pile of homegnised shite. National teams don't have their own styles anymore. I remember watching the likes of Brazil and Holland back In the 70s and 80s when they were exciting and different. Every team could be any other team these days. The no hopers are so fit and physical they can turn a game into a defensive shitfest for 90 minutes.
We should issue some of the players with knives

Unread 10-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I think this is spot on, and a key factor in the changes in the sport from an entertainment perspective.

All the teams now look and play the same. Where's the creative spontaneity of the South Americans, the technical brilliance of the Dutch, the defensive industry of the Italians, the power, risk and madness of the Africans?

It's one of the reasons why I didn't really mind the Spanish. Lot's of people criticised them for being boring and stifling games, but at least they had an identity and recognisable style of play.

This stretches to club football, too. I remember the Champions League games in the 90s, and it was awesome to see how top clubs from other countries played; it was a proper clash of styles, and so entertaining. They're all the same now. Information overload everywhere, too. No mystery about players or clubs from faraway lands. I end up seeing more of football from £#%&!ing Spain every week than I do of football in England.

Unread 10-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Vetch

Fair enough if they don't do the qualifiers.

Otherwise no.

nft.

Unread 10-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I think this is spot on, and a key factor in the changes in the sport from an entertainment perspective.

All the teams now look and play the same. Where's the creative spontaneity of the South Americans, the technical brilliance of the Dutch, the defensive industry of the Italians, the power, risk and madness of the Africans?

It's one of the reasons why I didn't really mind the Spanish. Lot's of people criticised them for being boring and stifling games, but at least they had an identity and recognisable style of play.

This stretches to club football, too. I remember the Champions League games in the 90s, and it was awesome to see how top clubs from other countries played; it was a proper clash of styles, and so entertaining. They're all the same now. Information overload everywhere, too. No mystery about players or clubs from faraway lands. I end up seeing more of football from £#%&!ing Spain every week than I do of football in England.
The stattos have taken over. Might as well replace matches with computer simulations. Yeeesssss! First half middle-third throw-in completion rate has just gone up by 0.2%!
Closed Thread