United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Cream

Default Pogba: the pacing predicament.

Tiberian says he's 'playing in bursts'. Whereas I myself have noted the lad's been 'blowing out of his arse' over 90 minutes.

You can say he's adjusting to a more physical league, but Juve are meant to have one of the most brutal training regimes on the planet: not like he's a stranger to tests of stamina.

So why is this young, elite athlete such a slouchy slug?

Unread 18-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Tiberian says he's 'playing in bursts'. Whereas I myself have noted the lad's been 'blowing out of his arse' over 90 minutes.

You can say he's adjusting to a more physical league, but Juve are meant to have one of the most brutal training regimes on the planet: not like he's a stranger to tests of stamina.

So why is this young, elite athlete such a slouchy slug?
Too long a vacation.

Unread 18-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Tiberian

He might not be at peak fitness but as Bunker noted in the match thread he has always played in this manner, moments and spells of brilliance but rarely a constant influence. Makes it difficult for a coach to trust him in a role where a consistent level if required.

Going to be a project for Mourinho this.

Unread 18-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Bunker Buster

Some league adjustments required but this is Pogba..

We've bought him back young enough to develop into the complete beast...

Unread 18-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Sizlack

I thought he looked off the pace again last night, 25 minutes in and he looked spent, hopefully just teething trouble. Maybe hes making old acquaintances enjoying the night life a little too much. He will come good there's a real player in there..

Unread 18-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Cream

Wow. Been sold a pup, lads?

Looks like Bunks was right all along.

Unread 18-10-2016, 09:04 AM
taff

as an elite level athlete myself i can confirm that i would definitely be blowing within the first ten minutes.

Unread 18-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Billy Redface

He was disappointing last night considering this was the first time he had the protection of two midfielders behind him.

José hinted he was disappointed too and was going to shift him back for Rashford, had Rashford not cramped up.

I do think he'll get better and it's understandable teething problems, but that doesn't mean it's not ok to point out that we need more from him atm.

He's playing every week, a lot goes through him and not enough happens. His decision making is VERY raw. More that of a 19 year old than an established 23 year old. The shoot on sight policy is hugely irritating. He gives the ball away too cheaply and does have a tendency to invite too much pressure and holds onto the ball one pass too late or one second too late.

However, you can see that ability to burst through into the box. We saw it against Stoke. He's still got 'big game' moments in him: the cross for Zlatan was perfect and you can see there's a £#%&!ing monster in there waiting to get out.

He's frustrating, but it's coming.. . .

Unread 18-10-2016, 09:15 AM
waynes ear's

Being written off after eight games?

Cool

Unread 18-10-2016, 09:30 AM
TheFatGoth

Whilst he's hardly been a revelation, if Zlat puts away his pass against Stoke or the cross last night, or if his two shots against the woodwork go in - he becomes a permanent fixture in GCTOTW

Unread 18-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Whilst he's hardly been a revelation, if Zlat puts away his pass against Stoke or the cross last night, or if his two shots against the woodwork go in - he becomes a permanent fixture in GCTOTW
Which, if we're honest, is all any honest pro is aspiring to.

Unread 18-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Cream

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Which, if we're honest, is all any honest pro is aspiring to.
The Balloon Duh.

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Crumps

He started slow last season after the change at Juve with Vidal and Pirlo leaving but once he got to grips with what was required of him with the new line up he was class. Not worried about him or his ability in the slightest tbh.

Genuinely one of the few none United things I can comment on from last season.

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:09 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
He started slow last season after the change at Juve with Vidal and Pirlo leaving but once he got to grips with what was required of him with the new line up he was class. Not worried about him or his ability in the slightest tbh.

Genuinely one of the few none United things I can comment on from last season.

All true.

He's adapting a bit here too, not just to the pace/intensity of the league, but also to a new role. He played as an advanced left sided midfielder at Juve, he's being asked to be a lot more central and disciplined at United as far as I can tell. It'll take a bit of time. Agree that he needs to think about doing the simpler things well and often in the short term though, too many loose touches and leaving gaps. Last night is a difficult one to judge though, the way we set up meant he, Zlat and Rashers were basically facing 4 opposition players on their own every time they got the ball and were swamped. Difficult conditions to thrive in. Produced our one true moment of quality in the match though...

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Baron

Without feeling like I'm making excuses for him, he's left a side that absolutely strolled their league for years, playing with Pirlo & Vidal, Marchisio & Hernanes, Khedira etc... to Fellaini. Week in, week out. He's playing with that @#%&!.

Must be like having a £#%&!ing leg iron on you. When are you going to get the pass... £#%&! knows. Will you ever receive a decent ball into feet again? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All quality players look a LOT better with other quality players, otherwise they just seem to be playing a different game. Pogba should have £#%&!ing Carrick & Herrera alongside / behind him. Players that will ping it into him early & he can find the space to stride forward. But he's not played that advanced position all season, then gets put there at Anfield where they changed their system to accommodate him (Jose alluded to it post match) & he's obviously not at his best yet. That said, he provided the one moment of pure class in the match to stick it on a plat for Zlatan & that is him in a nutshell... moments / bursts of quality rather than 90mins of consistency. Not outlandish to think he'll develop into that, but he's back at a new side, low on confidence (the side, he doesn't lack any of that) & a different intensity with worse players by & large.

No issue for me, stick a Verratti or Kroos behind him with Herrera & a Griezemann up to along alongside Martial & Rashers... we'll have a man who'll develop into a force of nature.

He's going to be a nonsense.

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

All true.

He's adapting a bit here too, not just to the pace/intensity of the league, but also to a new role. He played as an advanced left sided midfielder at Juve, he's being asked to be a lot more central and disciplined at United as far as I can tell. It'll take a bit of time. Agree that he needs to think about doing the simpler things well and often in the short term though, too many loose touches and leaving gaps. Last night is a difficult one to judge though, the way we set up meant he, Zlat and Rashers were basically facing 4 opposition players on their own every time they got the ball and were swamped. Difficult conditions to thrive in. Produced our one true moment of quality in the match though...

Watched loads of Juve pre Xmas last season on BT solely to see how he'd react to losing them two, I was massively surprised and impressed at how he turned it round.

Think he's gonna be best in the left handed midfielder in a 433 with Blind/Carrick sitting and Herrera on the right of midfield or the middle attacking midfielder in a 4231.

Hope to god Fellaini is being sold in January. If Carrick is being seen as past it we need a new holding midfielder who excels at passing and covering.

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:41 AM
Sparky***

Needs to buck his ideas up. I can deal with him missing chances infront of goal like against Stoke because he's not a striker...but he's far too sloppy in possession and bordering on lazy at times.

Sick of all the £#%&!ing marketing hype around players far exceeding what they actually do on the pitch.

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:42 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps

Watched loads of Juve pre Xmas last season on BT solely to see how he'd react to losing them two, I was massively surprised and impressed at how he turned it round.

Think he's gonna be best in the left handed midfielder in a 433 with Blind/Carrick sitting and Herrera on the right of midfield or the middle attacking midfielder in a 4231.

Hope to god Fellaini is being sold in January. If Carrick is being seen as past it we need a new holding midfielder who excels at passing and covering.
Big Felli is here to stay pal, new deal in the pipeline. Jose's pet.

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Thumbs down

looks to me like we bought the pogba we originally had instead of the one juve had.

Unread 18-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Big Felli is here to stay pal, new deal in the pipeline. Jose's pet.

Do you think he physically threatens the families of managers or something?
Closed Thread