United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:13 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
best way to do it is let one player go one on one with the keeper, one kick, no rebounds. Let each side have 5 one on ones. Otherwise lets play replays which are always great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
This. A lot more skill involved in a one on one rather than a penalty.
He said one kick, you stupid smear test.

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:20 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
He said one kick, you stupid smear test.
Thats just a penalty then

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Thats just a penalty then

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:24 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop

Unread 22-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Grimson

Potential injuries? How? The shooter and keeper only run into each other at high speed every other shot.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:00 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I would still prefer another alt. to penalties. Personally like the idea of a game of sudden death, with two players from each team coming off at the end of normal extra time (and then 2 more after each and every 5 minutes of additional sudden death extra time).
I'd just remove the rules and see who scores first. Fouls and offsides allowed. First to score wins.

It'd be like Speedball 2. Which can only be a good thing.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Potential injuries? How? The shooter and keeper only run into each other at high speed every other shot.

NASL Shootout: Cosmos/Diplomats 1980 - YouTube
Harald Schumacher would have been brilliant at that.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Sparky***

never really understood this idea that penalty shootouts are "unfair" and bit of a "lottery".

They aren't. They are no more a lottery than being told "here's the winning numbers, just go and fill in the ticket correctly."

"Here's the goal, here's the ball. Go kick that ball into the goal."

If your team of professional millionaires can't manage to beat a goalkeeper from 12 yards out then maybe they don't deserve to win.

And don't give me this %@#$&!s about pressure getting to them, it's the same in every single other sport, there's high pressure moments where you have to deliver. A golfer nailing that par 3, a boxer digging deep in the 12th round to find that knockout punch, an NFL player doing exactly what he's told and running into a fat bloke. It's all there.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Harald Schumacher would have been brilliant at that.

I think the other team would just concede.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:34 PM
MrBishi

edit - £#%&!, can't delete.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
never really understood this idea that penalty shootouts are "unfair" and bit of a "lottery".

They aren't. They are no more a lottery than being told "here's the winning numbers, just go and fill in the ticket correctly."

"Here's the goal, here's the ball. Go kick that ball into the goal."

If your team of professional millionaires can't manage to beat a goalkeeper from 12 yards out then maybe they don't deserve to win.

And don't give me this %@#$&!s about pressure getting to them, it's the same in every single other sport, there's high pressure moments where you have to deliver. A golfer nailing that par 3, a boxer digging deep in the 12th round to find that knockout punch, an NFL player doing exactly what he's told and running into a fat bloke. It's all there.
Agree about "it's a lottery". Never understood that. How is it a lottery when you're actually taking the penalties yourself?

I don't like extra time and pens, mind. The additional thirty minutes is almost always boring and goalless. I heard someone recently suggest doing the shootout after ninety minutes, and then playing extra time with the winner of the shootout winning the tie if no further goals are scored. Would certainly make extra time more interesting.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:54 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agree about "it's a lottery". Never understood that. How is it a lottery when you're actually taking the penalties yourself?

I don't like extra time and pens, mind. The additional thirty minutes is almost always boring and goalless. I heard someone recently suggest doing the shootout after ninety minutes, and then playing extra time with the winner of the shootout winning the tie if no further goals are scored. Would certainly make extra time more interesting.
But would it? Surely the team who win the shootout after 90mins will stick every players behind the ball for extra time?

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:56 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
But would it? Surely the team who win the shootout after 90mins will stick every players behind the ball for extra time?
Gives the other team an incentive to score though doesn't it.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:57 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Of course but will still lead to a snooze fest.

I iiked golden goal tbh

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Better than both doing it, as is often the case these days in extra time. Besides, it's only really a half goal lead, because you concede and you go from being ahead to being behind.

Away goals is a bigger issue, for me. It has to go. Destroys the balance of the contest and too often kills ties early in the second leg.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Except that would be just what the other side would be expecting.

Unread 22-06-2012, 03:59 PM
forzagarza

Maybe the winner should be the one who has a lowest spend on player wages

Unread 22-06-2012, 04:01 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Except that would be just what the other side would be expecting.
Alright foggie calm down........"Rooney, Nani off Jones and Park on, they'll nae know what's hit them, NQAT"

Unread 22-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Grimson

I know Blatter etc sometimes bleat about changes, but FIFA/UEFA love the drama of penalties. It'll never change (unless England win the Euros or World Cup in penalties).

Unread 22-06-2012, 04:14 PM
borsuk

chuck an extra ball on the field every two minutes until somebody scores. it'd be ace, you could have a dozen balls pinging around by the end
Closed Thread