United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Default What a way to lose a game

Quote:
In the other semi-final (Euro 1968) between hosts Italy and the USSR, the game was decided by the toss of a coin, penalty shootouts yet to become the norm. Italy's win – captain Giacinto Facchetti called tails – is commonly cited as an affront to sport. Which of course a win by the flick of a coin obviously is.
people from the past were thick @#%&!s.

Unread 22-06-2012, 11:56 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

64/65 European cup

Liverpool advanced to the semi-finals by winning a coin toss after their play-off match ended 2–2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964%E2...5_European_Cup

Unread 22-06-2012, 12:21 PM
red red robbo

1954 World Cup anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grauniad
But no hard-luck story is complete without Spain: they missed out on a place in the 1954 World Cup finals after beating Turkey in a two-legged qualifier 4-2 on aggregate. Sadly, aggregate scores counted for nothing in those days, and having won and lost a leg apiece, the teams played off. After the inevitable draw (2-2), it was down to a blind Italian boy to draw lots; even he could see what was going to happen next.
EDIT: OK, not exactly a coin toss, but the principle still holds

Unread 22-06-2012, 12:23 PM
BarryX

I would still prefer another alt. to penalties. Personally like the idea of a game of sudden death, with two players from each team coming off at the end of normal extra time (and then 2 more after each and every 5 minutes of additional sudden death extra time).

Unread 22-06-2012, 12:24 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I would still prefer another alt. to penalties. Personally like the idea of a game of sudden death, with two players from each team coming off at the end of normal extra time (and then 2 more after each and every 5 minutes of additional sudden death extra time).
Until you have two keepers hoofing it to each other

Unread 22-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Yeah, this would be my fave way to decide it.

Rush goalies

Unread 22-06-2012, 12:50 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Until you have two keepers hoofing it to each other
when its down to a five a side situation you'd get a goal fairly quickly....

would love to see it trialed, TBH.

Unread 22-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Stakker

Quote:
I was contemplating the 'taking a man off each team every 5 mins' but actually think what that means when it gets to 3-on-3 or even 1-on-1 in front of 85,000 people. It's £#%&!ing laughable. Football would be a laughing stock.

At least penalties is easily understood, and is a tense ending.

Just because England can't do some penalty training...

Unread 22-06-2012, 12:59 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakker
I was contemplating the 'taking a man off each team every 5 mins' but actually think what that means when it gets to 3-on-3 or even 1-on-1 in front of 85,000 people. It's £#%&!ing laughable. Football would be a laughing stock.

At least penalties is easily understood, and is a tense ending.

Just because England can't do some penalty training...
How long would it last though ? at 5 a side, the players would be exhausted, and therefore a goal would surely come sooner (much sooner) rather than not at all. The fittest players would win, as opposed to the luckiest...

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

best way to do it is let one player go one on one with the keeper, one kick, no rebounds. Let each side have 5 one on ones. Otherwise lets play replays which are always great.

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:21 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
best way to do it is let one player go one on one with the keeper, one kick, no rebounds. Let each side have 5 one on ones. Otherwise lets play replays which are always great.
This. A lot more skill involved in a one on one rather than a penalty.

Run from the half way line, keeper has to remain in his area.

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Stakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2

could end up with unneccessary injuries though, no?

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

I meant penos. If spain did your idea they'd just keep the ball for 10 minutes until the keeper got tired.

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:29 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:

I meant penos. If spain did your idea they'd just keep the ball for 10 minutes until the keeper got tired.
One person one on one with the goalie, not £#%&!ing possession football you turd.

Crikey

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
One person one on one with the goalie, not £#%&!ing possession football you turd.

Crikey
what are the rules then einstein? 20 seconds to score? a 1v1 after 120mins of football?

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:36 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
what are the rules then einstein? 20 seconds to score? a 1v1 after 120mins of football?

Ball on the kick off spot, 15 seconds to shoot.

Sorts out the men from the boys, i'd slot one away, you'd probably fall over

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:

they do/did do this in the MLS if the game ended in a draw.

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

keeper can't come out of the box? 15seconds?

it's just penos but with a run up to tire yourself out

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:40 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
keeper can't come out of the box? 15seconds?

it's just penos but with a run up to tire yourself out
Even I could run half a pitch in 15 seconds.

Skillz are required in my plan, i'll be discussing it with gareth southgate at my next coaching course.

Unread 22-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Even I could run half a pitch in 15 seconds.

Skillz are required in my plan, i'll be discussing it with gareth southgate at my next coaching course.
Closed Thread