View Poll Results: New Old Trafford.
Development of current stadium 81 66.94%
Shiny new one please, on footprint or directly next to. 29 23.97%
Shiny one please not bothered if they move it across town 2 1.65%
Fold the club. 9 7.44%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 21-02-2024, 03:34 PM
boreez

Old Trafford is shockingly bad to anyone who doesn’t have an emotional connection. It has more of a communist bloc prison vibe than stadium.

I do not believe it is possible to refurb it to anything better. Bigger maybe, but not better.

If not building new, I suggest going all in on the soviet prison vibe. Watch towers. Sounds of gun shots. Random checkpoints where someone asks you for your papers. Make it terrifying.

Unread 21-02-2024, 03:35 PM
BarryX

As a kid I always wanted us to have a capacity rivalling the biggest clubs in Europe and I guess that hasn't changed. If we could expand the present stadium to 90k+ that would be ideal, but imagine if we had something to compete with the Nou Camp, next door...

Unread 21-02-2024, 03:40 PM
Travis Bickle

I am still firmly in the Renovate gang.

Subsection the stadium into Family Stand, Pensioners' Section, Disabled (but move it to South or North lower), Singing section/standing section, JCL section, other areas dependent on the range of food and drink available, abolish all exec areas apart.from guilded cushioned and heated seats for Marlo and his entourage. That should do the trick.

Unread 21-02-2024, 03:42 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreez View Post
Old Trafford is shockingly bad to anyone who doesn’t have an emotional connection. It has more of a communist bloc prison vibe than stadium.

I do not believe it is possible to refurb it to anything better. Bigger maybe, but not better.

If not building new, I suggest going all in on the soviet prison vibe. Watch towers. Sounds of gun shots. Random checkpoints where someone asks you for your papers. Make it terrifying.

Already half there imv. Getting through a turnstile is bad (good) enough already, checkpoint Charlie had fewer checks. Then you think your safe and then bam, knock at the door asking you to inform authorities what you wore to the game within 24 hours

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:28 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
as it was said a few weeks ago, United need a stadium fitting to us being the biggest club in the world and that can’t be accomplished by just upgrading OT.

If it could be done, there would even be these feasibility debates.

And my point about your continued digs at the “New school” United support

Not sure why you feel the need to always have digs about it, who asked you to even gate keep United support….?
I suppose we just disagree on what defines a stadium befitting one of the biggest clubs in the world. You seem to feel that a modern bowl, bedecked with amenities and fancy add-ons is key, whereas I actually feel history is key, as do many of the match-going supporters of Manchester United, alongside those that run mammoth clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona. Football clubs aren't just about being shiny and new; other things need to be taken into account. This isn't a FTSE250 corporation doing a head office refurb, ffs.

Not sure where you're getting my apparent continued digs at the 'new school' or being a gatekeeper. I've mentioned nu-age fans once in my last post referring to you being the typical modern day fan that doesn't really 'get' it. Hard to explain to you lot, as you don't truly 'get' something that is hard to quantify and measure, but it can be seen in your appreciation of a stadium like Tottenham's, and your eagerness to replace Old Trafford with a similar identikit bowl with no history.

I'd hazard a deductive guess that this thinking is rooted in the fact that fans like you don't really appreciate the history of a club like United, and are only in it for the short-term success; its why so many of you started following the club in the first place, and when that short-term success has temporarily disappeared you can't handle it, and start demanding things like managers sacked every season, and a new stadium built.

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:40 PM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreez

Compared to being at the front of the Stret in the 80's, this incarnation of OT is like Butlins.

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:40 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I suppose we just disagree on what defines a stadium befitting one of the biggest clubs in the world. You seem to feel that a modern bowl, bedecked with amenities and fancy add-ons is key, whereas I actually feel history is key, as do many of the match-going supporters of Manchester United, alongside those that run mammoth clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona. Football clubs aren't just about being shiny and new; other things need to be taken into account. This isn't a FTSE250 corporation doing a head office refurb, ffs.

Not sure where you're getting my apparent continued digs at the 'new school' or being a gatekeeper. I've mentioned nu-age fans once in my last post referring to you being the typical modern day fan that doesn't really 'get' it. Hard to explain to you lot, as you don't truly 'get' something that is hard to quantify and measure, but it can be seen in your appreciation of a stadium like Tottenham's, and your eagerness to replace Old Trafford with a similar identikit bowl with no history.
I agree it’s not a company doing a refurb but it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world upgrading their stadium.
going forward United need a new stadium and adding a few shelves to OT would be a ridiculous decision to make.
United need a top stadium and that’s can’t be done without building a new one.
Yes it might detach a few from the club in some sentimental way but you could say that about anything from the club not training at the cliff anymore and moving to carrington.
United stadium should be the premier stadium in the north of England and that can’t be the current one.

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:45 PM
Jack Duckworth

I see Gary Neville will be on the panel to discuss how the area around the ground will be redeveloped. Busy £#%&!er.

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:46 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

I'd hazard a deductive guess that this thinking is rooted in the fact that fans like you don't really appreciate the history of a club like United, and are only in it for the short-term success; its why so many of you started following the club in the first place, and when that short-term success has temporarily disappeared you can't handle it, and start demanding things like managers sacked every season, and a new stadium built.
What point do you think you are making here???

What lack of success cant i handle.
Do you think I’m school trying to be cool but can’t because the football team i support aren’t winning?

I demand the manager be sacked because the team i support playing shit most weeks
I want a stadium because the one we have is mess in comparison to others.

I can appreciate the history of the club but also not want the history to be the only highlights.

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:49 PM
believe

The club was formed in 1875 and we moved to Old Trafford in 1910. If you’re so invested in to the club keeping its history you should be petitioning to move us back to Newton Heath.

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:56 PM
est.1878

things i want from a football stadium -

* be able to see the pitch
* be able to stand up
* be able to hear and see away fans
* bike racks (serious)
* be able to get food / drink without having to go down c40 minutes
* that's it

things i dont want -

* massive score(*advertising)boards
* well lit concourses
* ability to perform pyrotechnik and light shows
* fan VIPs with minimal or zero interest in the club with tunnel access selfieing their tits off
* nfl games twice a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
The club was formed in 1875 and we moved to Old Trafford in 1910. If you’re so invested in to the club keeping its history you should be petitioning to move us back to Newton Heath.
could be wrong but i think its the national cycle centre now on bank st, so could be a go-er with big DB pulling favours

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:56 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:

Would love a move back to Newton Heath tbh.

Unread 21-02-2024, 04:57 PM
est.1878

Quote:
could be wrong but i think its the national cycle centre now, so could be a go-er with big DB pulling some favours

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes View Post
Phew.

Unread 21-02-2024, 05:01 PM
poppy

Thumbs up

I went to watch the Dodgers away to the Diamondbacks last season. What a place to get smashed. Had a great night. They've even got a swimming pool in the stand - something United should think about.

Unread 21-02-2024, 05:01 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
the national cycle centre now on bank st
I believe that was the 2nd or 3rd ground used so there could still be scope to rebuild just off Briscoe Lane not far from the Etihad and cut-out the south of the city completely.

Unread 21-02-2024, 05:08 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
I believe that was the 2nd or 3rd ground used so there could still be scope to rebuild just off Briscoe Lane not far from the Etihad and cut-out the south of the city completely.
Just having a look on google maps , Fine Lady Bakeries has caught my attention. also the railway line so its south stand issues mk2

Unread 21-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Fat Al

Redevelop the current stadium as I have said elsewhere in this thread.

Then nearby build a smaller identikit stadium so full of the 'luxuries' a section of our support seems to crave & have huge screens on the pitch so they can watch the game there in their fully adjustable, climate controlled seats whilst app ordering refreshments to be delivered to them. And paying through the nose for it. Of course.

Unread 21-02-2024, 05:31 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post
Redevelop the current stadium as I have said elsewhere in this thread.

Then nearby build a smaller identikit stadium so full of the 'luxuries' a section of our support seems to crave & have huge screens on the pitch so they can watch the game there in their fully adjustable, climate controlled seats whilst app ordering refreshments to be delivered to them. And paying through the nose for it. Of course.
And you and a couple of hundred others can watch American football

Unread 21-02-2024, 05:34 PM
no fun

Personally don’t think they should move site, but if they have to the new ground should be built on crossford bridge playing fields in Sale

* adjacent to Dane rd metrolink station
* adjacent to the M60 Slip road
* adjacent to the trans pennine trail so arriving by bike is easy
* numerous bars and restaurants within walking distance
* both river mersey and bridgewater canal nearby for pushing away fans into
* Sale water park nearby for dogging after night games

And most importantly, it’s closer to me

Unread 21-02-2024, 05:40 PM
believe

Apologies if already posted