United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 28-01-2024, 08:18 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Yeah, we've finally made it past the fourth round and the guy is just complaining
I’m all about the complaints,

Unread 28-01-2024, 08:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Antony 6 shots
Bruno 5 shots
Garnacho 5 shots

Hojlund 1 shot

WTF is ten hag doing on the training ground each week?
Didn't do too bad with it tbf.

Unread 28-01-2024, 09:41 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
I think he’s a bit more dynamic than Antony. Watching quite a bit for Sunderland, and ok it’s a different weaker league but he isn’t a “cut in in your left” at all times winger.

At the very least , it’s not like Antony is tearing up the league. Did ok today but he also had moments of shite. The position isn’t locked down and personally I think Amad would be a better player than Antony on the right.

Agree with hojlund comment, he just doesn’t get the ball so on the rare times he actually does get in a position to shoot and misses , some people jump on the back of him .

One thing I noticed is Hojlund is quite level headed, he got into some positions where he could have been selfish and shot from a harder angle but still made the pass.
hojlund played well today. if you wanted to be critical of him, you could argue that he is a little deferential and not selfish enough. he gives consistently, even though he rarely gets the service he should get. he doesn't waste possession. about the only time he did something with a lower chance of success was when he tried to cut through the defence just after he scored. otherwise, he gives the ball to a player in a better position.

antony and nacho simply don't.

I am not arguing that amad shouldn't get a chance ahead of antony. antony is £#%&!ing hopeless. but amad is just another winger like the other two, whose first thought is get a shot off. I think he's probably got a better shot than antony, too. but it would be nice to have a right wing go outside and cross or play a quick ball behind the defence for hojlund to run onto. hojlund is rapid, but we rarely see it.

Unread 29-01-2024, 02:10 AM
croady26

The fact they had 17 shots with 7 on target is wild

Unread 29-01-2024, 03:29 AM
shenwen

Newport finding out what happened when Ten Hag's Unite come to town

Pleased for Antony. With a bit more experience he could really thrive at this level.

Unread 29-01-2024, 09:26 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
hojlund played well today. if you wanted to be critical of him, you could argue that he is a little deferential and not selfish enough. he gives consistently, even though he rarely gets the service he should get. he doesn't waste possession. about the only time he did something with a lower chance of success was when he tried to cut through the defence just after he scored. otherwise, he gives the ball to a player in a better position.

antony and nacho simply don't.

I am not arguing that amad shouldn't get a chance ahead of antony. antony is £#%&!ing hopeless. but amad is just another winger like the other two, whose first thought is get a shot off. I think he's probably got a better shot than antony, too. but it would be nice to have a right wing go outside and cross or play a quick ball behind the defence for hojlund to run onto. hojlund is rapid, but we rarely see it.
Hojlund needs a Valencia. Unselfish player that can cross a football. Can be on the left or the right, preferably both and nothing flash. There's room for the Antony and Garnacho types at the same time on the opposite wing. Would be able to get much more out of Hojlund if he can get involved with build up with a player that likes to cut inside, but know he's got the opportunity to be able to get into the box and be the main goal threat when the ball is at the feet of a player he knows is going to try and find him with some quality.

Unread 29-01-2024, 09:40 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
problem is, he is another who likes to cut in and shoot.

hojlund needs someone who will pay attention to where he is and play him in. like a winger.
Or an overlapping full back who can cross from the right

Unread 29-01-2024, 10:04 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Save. Great to see a goalkeeper diving and not looking like a dog jumping into water.

Should be given a chance in the first team. He won't.

Unread 29-01-2024, 10:06 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Should be given a chance in the first team. He won't.
I hear he’s started talking like Goldmember to strengthen his chances.

Unread 29-01-2024, 10:29 AM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Great to see a goalkeeper diving and not looking like a dog jumping into water.
That's it! I was trying to describe what I find odd about his technique to a bloke in the pub the other night and dammit - that's it in a nutshell!

Unread 29-01-2024, 12:37 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Hojlund needs a Valencia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Or an overlapping full back who can cross from the right
if he played with becks and neville g, he would look like ruud. probably.

Unread 29-01-2024, 01:25 PM
wiganste

What an absolute dump Newport is btw. Looks like it's stuck in the 80's

Unread 29-01-2024, 01:32 PM
Lok

We won.

It was always going to be one of those weird cup games where anything can happen. We shouldn't have let them back into the game so easily but we found the exra gear again when we needed to.

There's a million reasons to hate half the players and the management but I'm finding it hard to add to that list with anything from yesterday.

Unread 29-01-2024, 01:38 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
We won.

It was always going to be one of those weird cup games where anything can happen. We shouldn't have let them back into the game so easily but we found the exra gear again when we needed to.

There's a million reasons to hate half the players and the management but I'm finding it hard to add to that list with anything from yesterday.
We scored a goal against the run of play but it's neither here nor there. The only way INEOS will give the manager another season is if we consistently play well and climb up the league. The squad is largely free from injuries, there's no Europe and the players are playing for their own futures, if we can't manage to improve under these favourable conditions then it's over

Unread 29-01-2024, 01:56 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
We won.

Yep.

Anyone expecting anything different yesterday isn't a realist. Was always going to be like that - it was comfortable for us, even when they pulled it back.

Their cup final etc. We did the job, no fresh injuries and we're into the next round!

Unread 29-01-2024, 02:40 PM
suedeshoes

Stop being reasonable, realistic and positive Ste. Concentrate more on hating the club and the game ffs.

Unread 29-01-2024, 06:23 PM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Yep.

Anyone expecting anything different yesterday isn't a realist. Was always going to be like that - it was comfortable for us, even when they pulled it back.

Their cup final etc. We did the job, no fresh injuries and we're into the next round!
BBC were trying to build a narrative that we were hanging on against a rampant Newport.

When the truth is that they scabbed a goal with a huge deflection from a hit & hope, then caught our idiots short after HT.

There was no point at 2-2 where they looked like they’d create anything. They were shite.

Unread 29-01-2024, 09:02 PM
Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
What an absolute dump Newport is btw. Looks like it's stuck in the 80's
Biggest shithole in south wales

Unread 29-01-2024, 09:12 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Biggest shithole in south wales
Worse than Neath?