United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Was Gareth Bale World Class?
Yes, he was obviously world class. 39 79.59%
No, scored some nice goals but that's it. 4 8.16%
Sometimes maybe good sometimes maybe shit 4 8.16%
I like Golf too 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 09-10-2022, 05:12 AM
Patty_b

Default Was Gareth Bale World Class?

No doubt he was World Class on his day, but when looking back over his career as a whole, will he be remembered as a World Class footballer?

Does his long list of honors and impressive goalscoring record automatically qualify him for World Class status?

Or did his poor injury record, crippling Golf addiction and the manner in which his career started to fizzle out at the top level at a relatively young age change your overall perspective of him as a footballer?

Unread 09-10-2022, 07:19 AM
believe

Never seen enough of him to give a proper opinion but from what I did see he was a very good player. However, world class might be a bit of a stretch: if you look at it objectively and made a list of the best 50 players from the last ten years would he make that list? And realistically there’d only be ten genuinely “world class” players in that list and I doubt he’d make that:

I like golf so went for that.

Unread 09-10-2022, 07:21 AM
NedKelly

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=12

I should receive credit for my work.

Unread 09-10-2022, 08:20 AM
Ethers

Unread 09-10-2022, 08:26 AM
Medlock

Would seem something of a pointless exercise in the absence of criteria about what is or isn't meant by 'world class'

Unread 09-10-2022, 08:47 AM
dragflick

Of course he was ffs

Unread 09-10-2022, 08:49 AM
NedKelly

I just don’t see how standing out for the Wales national side makes someone world class. He was Wales class, but not world class.

Ronaldo, Benzema, Kroos, Modric were all better than him, and that’s just one team.

A great player, no doubt about that, but not one of the worlds best.

Unread 09-10-2022, 08:53 AM
armchair

Underrated if anything. A freak of nature.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:03 AM
Pop

Ronaldo aside I Would have taken him over any of Utd's signings from the past 20 years.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:03 AM
Mr_Ed

Very, very good player but world class? You don’t score about 100 goals for RM if you’re shut but did he dictate the big game and stamp himself on them?

Overhead kick against the vermin and a goalkeeping howler is his notable game? and scoring an great goal against Barca to win them the cup.

So I’m his day he could be but wasn’t consistently is my final answer Jeremy.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:05 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Very, very good player but world class? You don’t score about 100 goals for RM if you’re shut but did he dictate the big game and stamp himself on them?

Overhead kick against the vermin and a goalkeeping howler is his notable game? and scoring an great goal against Barca to win them the cup.

So I’m his day he could be but wasn’t consistently is my final answer Jeremy.
Bang on Ed. He’s got a 30 second highlight reel. Is that enough to be deemed world class? I think not.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:23 AM
Stickman

Quite obviously yes.

and you don’t score a goal like he did against Liverpool if you’re just very good.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:32 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Of course he was ffs
Mad isn’t it ?

Ned’s gone from “he’s not world class” to him only having a 30 second highlight reel in two posts

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:33 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Quite obviously yes.

https://youtu.be/tuDiylkXHLo

and you don’t score a goal like he did against Liverpool if you’re just very good.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:42 AM
Vedder

Before he came along I never thought I’d see Wales qualify for a major tournament in my lifetime. He not only dragged a poor welsh side to two European championships (one of the making the semi’s ffs ) his goals also have taken wales to their first World Cup since the 50s. He’s wales all time top scorer, took Wales to 8th in fifa rankings

Scored in big finals for Madrid, scored the best champions league goal ever, his stats have overtaken R9, Zidane etc for Madrid. Was the best player in the premier league for those last two seasons at spurs. Was at the time the highest transfer fee ever. Yeah defo not world class

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:43 AM
Arnold Muhren

Definitely yes - for a short period.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:44 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
Definitely yes - for a short period.
Top class and for a short period he rivalled the two big guns.

100 times the player neymar thinks he is.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:50 AM
Vedder

Remember when he ruined Inter Milan’s treble winning side in the CL? He was unplayable. Not world class

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:50 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Before he came along I never thought I’d see Wales qualify for a major tournament in my lifetime. He not only dragged a poor welsh side to two European championships (one of the making the semi’s ffs ) his goals also have taken wales to their first World Cup since the 50s. He’s wales all time top scorer, took Wales to 8th in fifa rankings

Scored in big finals for Madrid, scored the best champions league goal ever, his stats have overtaken R9, Zidane etc for Madrid. Was the best player in the premier league for those last two seasons at spurs. Was at the time the highest transfer fee ever. Yeah defo not world class
I’d argue about his goal bejng the best one ever. Did you mean final goal? I’d argue Zidane’s was technically better against Leverkusen. Ronaldo’s semi final goal was better too… oh and Messi’s semi final goal against Madrid.

Also the level of international football has changed so Wales were going to qualify one day given the number of smaller countries.

But other than that you might be into something.

Unread 09-10-2022, 09:52 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

Quote:
Remember when he ruined Inter Milan’s treble winning side in the CL? He was unplayable. Not world class
You’re biased though.
Closed Thread