Paul Pogba vs Swansea 0 0%
Lee Sharpe vs Everton 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Think of it like headers and volleys - if it bounces, it's not a volley. Same applies as 'setting yourself up' so Eric's vs Arsenal would defintely not count (in headers and volleys anyway).

Same applies to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-DlfeIOZps
Eric's vs the arse wasn't even setting himself up (I assume you mean off the chest then hit it), it bounced twice before he struck it. To me that's never a volley but apparently it is.

Unread 06-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
I thought this. Luckily I checked before posting and embarrassing myself

According to wiki, if it's in the air it's a volley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_(football)

I think you are getting into the subtleties of half volley vs full volley.

Scholes vs Bardford for me. The sheer audacity of knowing he could hit the target at that range, direct from a corner, on the volley.
Wiki can go £#%&! itself.

& a half-volley is when a proper volley is hit at the same time it touches the ground.

Those strikes up there are just regular hits on the bounce, nothing more.

Unread 06-11-2019, 12:17 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Eric's vs the arse wasn't even setting himself up (I assume you mean off the chest then hit it), it bounced twice before he struck it. To me that's never a volley but apparently it is.
Hits the floor - no volley. Simple.

As for setting himself up, I was thinking of a different goal - and linked to it.

Unread 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM
red red robbo

Seems "what is a volley" is a point of some contention, and has been for some time.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...olley-football

I think we should use the Oxford English Dictionary definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED
(in some sports, for example tennis or football (soccer )) a hit or kick of the ball before it touches the ground
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...ley_1?q=volley

Although that means we would need to void this poll and er-run it.

Unread 06-11-2019, 12:34 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Wiki can go £#%&! itself.

& a half-volley is when a proper volley is hit at the same time it touches the ground.

Those strikes up there are just regular hits on the bounce, nothing more.
3 of them I’ll give you

Unread 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Mark Hughes scissor kick in the 5-1. Settled many a playground squabble. We had the best goal so it was actually a draw.
Not premier league though. Going by the rules I mean.

Unread 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM
DuanePipe

I was in a TGI Fridays in Sheffield when Rooney hit that one against Newcastle. The game was on a smallish TV in the middle of the room with no sound on. I still remember people poking each other to turn and have a look at what he'd done. So I reckon if you can remember where you were when a bloke who doesn't even play for your team scores a goal in a fairly bog standard league game, that's the one for me. Rooney v Newcastle > Kennedy assassination. (see also Tony Yeboah).

Unread 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM
utd99

Rooney is my favourite; Scholesy’s against Bradford was the hardest technique. Full bounce or multiple touch = no volley. Hitting it first time at the same time it hits the ground = half volley. Anything else is just a shot.

Unread 06-11-2019, 01:26 PM
AK14

RvP’s was special and the last time I was at OT.

But the Rooney one was just incredible and summed up the type of player he was back then.

Giving the ref a ear full and then wallop!

Unread 06-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Vedder

Scholes vs Villa my favourite ever

Unread 06-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Mark Hughes scissor kick in the 5-1. Settled many a playground squabble. We had the best goal so it was actually a draw.
Would’ve chosen that if it was on the list as well. Amazing hit.

Unread 06-11-2019, 02:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Rooney is my favourite; Scholesy’s against Bradford was the hardest technique. Full bounce or multiple touch = no volley. Hitting it first time at the same time it hits the ground = half volley. Anything else is just a shot.
Controversial. He's been picked out and in all likelihood its rehearsed, which surely makes it easier.

Rooney's is mental because he hasn't been calling for it or had the ball put on his foot. It's just pure instinct.

Unread 06-11-2019, 02:30 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Controversial. He's been picked out and in all likelihood its rehearsed, which surely makes it easier.

Rooney's is mental because he hasn't been calling for it or had the ball put on his foot. It's just pure instinct.
I think the distance, angle and speed make it the toughest. His margin for error was virtually nil.

Van Persie’s was from an insane distance, but it’s in stride (and offside), Scholesy’s against Villa he had time to set, and the fact it was a fat volley from a high drop helped with the dip; Rooney’s was just pure anger/could have gone anywhere, but £#%&!ing brilliant nonetheless. They were all top, top quality.

I know. Nerd alert!

Unread 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM
windy waffles

Not one from recent years in the list.

Says it all about the 'talent' we currently have...

Unread 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Buck

Quote:

Matic vs Crystal Palace was 2018 pal.

Unread 06-11-2019, 02:38 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Matic vs Crystal Palace was 2018 pal.
Meant nothing.

Unread 06-11-2019, 06:50 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Paul Pogba - not "recent"?

Unread 06-11-2019, 07:45 PM
TreeFiddy

‘Solo effort’ needs to be a category. Ruud vs Fulham, Ronaldo vs Fulham, Cantona vs Sunderland

Unread 06-11-2019, 08:02 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
‘Solo effort’ needs to be a category. Ruud vs Fulham, Ronaldo vs Fulham, Cantona vs Sunderland
Giggs vs qpr

Actually just watched it again and the defenders properly showed him onto his left foot

Unread 06-11-2019, 08:03 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
That would come under chip/edge of box shirley
Closed Thread