United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-09-2013, 05:11 AM
Denis Irwell

Default future striking options

How long can we expect RVP to remain one of Europe's top strikers at his age? because that's what we need him to be for us to compete. On the one hand, for some, there remains an uncertainty, given his past injuries that he can retain the necessary sharpness for a striker. Yet on the other hand, the injuries could actually help extend his career as Michael Owen opined about Gerrard, whereas he, himself has been burned out through being overplayed.

Rooney? Who knows? Could be gone anytime or might just be pushing the boundaries for a bigger contract.

Welbz: doubts remain whether he can become an all-out striker if/when needed that we can rely upon.

Cheech: depends on Moysie's take on him. We haven't had much of an insight yet whether he would use him as a first choice if the main strikers were no longer a choice.

Probably all a couple of years off yet but RVP's position puzzles me the most. No doubt he wants to finish his career here but I wonder how long he has left. I tend to think a couple of years but I dunno. Maybe longer?

Not totally overlooking Keane and Lingard but they have a bit of a way to go yet.

Unread 20-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Part 36 Offer

sign benteke

Unread 20-09-2013, 05:32 AM
rafabio

I think henriquez will be a good enough striker for united.

Would still sign benteke though in next 2 years. Although I feel chelsea may splurge the cash on him in january

Unread 20-09-2013, 05:53 AM
Denis Irwell

haven't seen a lot of either tbh - not enough to get giddy about signing, anyway

Unread 20-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Aman27deep

RvP should be fine until 15-16.

Rooney signs a contract, he's good to go till 18-19 but he really needs to improve his forms and eating habits as weight is harder to lose after you reach your 30s. He's very good when on form in either in the behind the striker or as the striker. - But if Rooney isn't singing a contract, we should move him next summer and move the mountains and pay £300k/week if we have to to get Lewandowski on a free transfer. Deals won't come better than that.

Hernandez doesn't get a chance to play being sick a top striker that he is, wouldn't be surprised if he left in the summer.

Welbeck will never be a prolific striker because of his finishing. Of he stays at united he'll continue playing as a player.

Henriquez what I've seen of him is a larger Hernandez. Can't say much about him as of now.

James Wilson should integrate into our squad by the 15-16 season. Top youth prospect. Better than Welbeck IMHO.

In short, we're more than alright for the next 3 years.

Unread 20-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
RvP should be fine until 15-16.

Rooney signs a contract, he's good to go till 18-19 but he really needs to improve his forms and eating habits as weight is harder to lose after you reach your 30s. He's very good when on form in either in the behind the striker or as the striker. - But if Rooney isn't singing a contract, we should move him next summer and move the mountains and pay £300k/week if we have to to get Lewandowski on a free transfer. Deals won't come better than that.

Hernandez doesn't get a chance to play being sick a top striker that he is, wouldn't be surprised if he left in the summer.

Welbeck will never be a prolific striker because of his finishing. Of he stays at united he'll continue playing as a player.

Henriquez what I've seen of him is a larger Hernandez. Can't say much about him as of now.

James Wilson should integrate into our squad by the 15-16 season. Top youth prospect. Better than Welbeck IMHO.

In short, we're more than alright for the next 3 years.

that's a fookin ace idea

Unread 20-09-2013, 07:06 AM
S/Side.Red

Yep, a lot depends on Welbz. I've retained a fairly unwavering belief since he was 16 that he'd end up our main striker, but it's obviously no certainty. As it stands, I think we've got the perfect age range of strikers. We've got one of the best strikers in Europe in his prime at 30, one of the best finishers in Europe, 25, as cover and 22-yr-old with the potential to be United and England's centre-forward for a decade.

Van Persie will be the main man this season again and perhaps next, but hopefully Welbz can develop and be staking his case for that main spot within the next 12-18 months, while Chicharito is an invaluable asset during that transition. It's just about the perfect situation, tbh.

Unread 20-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Denis Irwell

soz deepers but couldn't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yep, a lot depends on Welbz. I've retained a fairly unwavering belief since he was 16 that he'd end up our main striker, but it's obviously no certainty. As it stands, I think we've got the perfect age range of strikers. We've got one of the best strikers in Europe in his prime at 30, one of the best finishers in Europe, 25, as cover and 22-yr-old with the potential to be United and England's centre-forward for a decade.

Van Persie will be the main man this season again and perhaps next, but hopefully Welbz can develop and be staking his case for that main spot within the next 12-18 months, while Chicharito is an invaluable asset during that transition. It's just about the perfect situation, tbh.
aye, Welbz could be key. If he scores close on 20 this season, which is maybe pushing it with Rooney and RVP in front of him, we'll all be saying he is a shoe-in for when one or the other isn't playing/here. I still think we'll
take advantage of his versatility and stamina elsewhere but it's a nice problem to have. Apart from this, I am intrigued as to how far RVP can go. I think he or one of the other players were talking about him going on until age 35.

Unread 20-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Crumps

Think people are writing off footballers a bit early still. The change in training methods, spits science and diets mean that most will play at the top level in to their mid 30's. RVP may not have even peaked.

Welbz
Pea
Keane
Henriquez

Then there could be a player currently playing in another position for the youth team who could end up being the %@#$&!s as a striker.

Unread 20-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Mr Castro

The strikers we have are at good ages at the moment but I think at some point we will have to sign a striker again. Benteke wouldn't be such a bad option if he kept up his form over the next couple of years. Obviously a lot depends on Rooney staying because that would speed up the need to sign someone else, to be honest you wouldn't be surprised if he did leave next summer. There's a lot of ifs and buts.

Unread 20-09-2013, 08:28 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
sign benteke
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
The strikers we have are at good ages at the moment but I think at some point we will have to sign a striker again. Benteke wouldn't be such a bad option if he kept up his form over the next couple of years. Obviously a lot depends on Rooney staying because that would speed up the need to sign someone else, to be honest you wouldn't be surprised if he did leave next summer. There's a lot of ifs and buts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Think people are writing off footballers a bit early still. The change in training methods, spits science and diets mean that most will play at the top level in to their mid 30's. RVP may not have even peaked.

Welbz
Pea
Keane
Henriquez

Then there could be a player currently playing in another position for the youth team who could end up being the %@#$&!s as a striker.

Agree with all this. Apart from calling Hernandez, Chicharito, anyway. Benteke looks a beast, and will score a shit load for whatever top club picks him up in the summer. Can't see him being at Villa much longer. If we were to lose Rooney next summer then he looks a good replacement. Will Keane has always had great potential, not seen enough of Henriquez to comment really. Welbz and Pea will hopefully be here for a lot longer, just hope they're okay with the lack of minutes they're getting. Hernandez would be first choice forward at pretty much every other team in the league.

Unread 20-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Part 36 Offer

if wenger had any brains he would get benteke in january.

he would be £#%&!ing lethal with ozil, cazorla and walcott behind him

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:01 AM
barca99

Hard to say which striker could come good in a few years.

United for the past 20 years or so have generally had good striking options, some good when united bought them, some not so good.

Id expect when RVP calls it a day Rooney (if hes still here) will be coming to the end and a new striker will be about that we will go for

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:08 AM
ZiggyStardust

Benteke would suit Chelsea more as they usually like to play with a more powerful centre forward

If at some point we need to replace Van Persie with a player outside the club then we should sign someone more technical than Benteke

Still think Welbeck will develop into a top class centre forward

Don't know why anyone would want us to sign a striker as that is the strongest part of the team

We need a left back, creative ball playing centre midfielder and flexible wide player or two who can play any of the 3 positions behind main centre forward to replace Young & Valencia

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:09 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Benteke would suit Chelsea more as they usually like to play with a more powerful centre forward

If at some point we need to replace Van Persie with a player outside the club then we should sign someone more technical than Benteke

Still think Welbeck will develop into a top class centre forward

Don't know why anyone would want us to sign a striker as that is the strongest part of the team

We need a left back, creative ball playing centre midfielder and flexible wide player or two who can play any of the 3 positions behind main centre forward to replace Young & Valencia
Think that's why the thread's called 'future striking options', and not 'current striking options', pal...

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:13 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Think that's why the thread's called 'future striking options', and not 'current striking options', pal...
It's more in response to people like Parters thinking we should sign Benteke

I've heard a few people saying we should sign this striker or that striker
Just don't really see why anyone would want us to sign a centre forward come the next summer transfer window

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:18 AM
dragflick

Quote:

Just don't really see why anyone would want us to sign a centre forward come the next summer transfer window
Tbf I think most have said if Rooney leaves. And then I'd agree.

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

...and some, although largely the media still won't let up on Ledonowskinevovicanov...not sure I got that right

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Tumescent Throb

I don't see Hernandez sticking around beyond next summer if he can't get in the side, unless he has a remarkable season of scoring goals off the bench including important ones in key matches. I don't see how he can feel fully part of the team as 4th choice, and he's barely held down a place in the side since the end of 2011.

Last season he was 2nd top scorer with 18 goals, but if you look a bit closer 8 of those goals were in the CL group phase & the domestic cups, important games, but games used to keep back-up players ticking over. He made an important impact in 3 league games, scoring the winner at home to Newcastle, and away at Villa and Chelsea, and although he notched in Fergie's last game at OT he's basically standing still at United. That could change under Moyes either by luck or design, but the chances are it won't - even if Rooney is sold it's unlikely that Hernandez would be promoted to 1st pick.

Assuming they both stay, there's no reason why RvP and Rooney can't stay on top of their game for at least a couple of seasons, but they need to win the CL this season or next if they really want to make a mark on that competition and be remembered in history for setting the biggest club stage alight - which as yet neither of them have done; RvP has almost no history in the CL and Rooney has failed to make any lasting impression in all 3 finals he's played, albeit he scored in 1 of them.

Every current player knows that the CL has not been retained by any team for a generation. That is the carrot they should be chasing.

Unread 20-09-2013, 09:34 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I don't see Hernandez sticking around beyond next summer if he can't get in the side, unless he has a remarkable season of scoring goals off the bench including important ones in key matches. I don't see how he can feel fully part of the team as 4th choice, and he's barely held down a place in the side since the end of 2011.

Last season he was 2nd top scorer with 18 goals, but if you look a bit closer 8 of those goals were in the CL group phase & the domestic cups, important games, but games used to keep back-up players ticking over. He made an important impact in 3 league games, scoring the winner at home to Newcastle, and away at Villa and Chelsea, and although he notched in Fergie's last game at OT he's basically standing still at United. That could change under Moyes either by luck or design, but the chances are it won't - even if Rooney is sold it's unlikely that Hernandez would be promoted to 1st pick.

Assuming they both stay, there's no reason why RvP and Rooney can't stay on top of their game for at least a couple of seasons, but they need to win the CL this season or next if they really want to make a mark on that competition and be remembered in history for setting the biggest club stage alight - which as yet neither of them have done; RvP has almost no history in the CL and Rooney has failed to make any lasting impression in all 3 finals he's played, albeit he scored in 1 of them.

Every current player knows that the CL has not been retained by any team for a generation. That is the carrot they should be chasing.
£#%&! me- winning it again/for the first time is the carrot they're chasing, let's not get carried away about two in a row ffs
Closed Thread